• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eric Cantor about to lose his primary

Oddity: now, both candidates for district 07 are professors at Randolph-Macon, which has about 1,300 undergrads.

Also, this:
@SethDavisHoops: Jordan never lost in a primary.

I can remember when the Republican Party wasn't completely worthless. George H W Bush was actually a pretty good guy. I voted for him for president....twice. That was back before the obnoxious religious fanatics took control of the GOP with their hate-filled social policies. Looking back at it, I was probably more fiscally conservative back then.....guess I had to have been.....and probably shouldn't have voted for him against Bill Clinton in 1992....but even today I think he is a pretty decent guy. He made that stupid "read my lips" comment to win the election...but then had the courage to walk away from it to help restore the nation's economy, even though he had to know that he was sacrificing his political future by doing so.

Where are any Republicans like that today?

If I remember correctly, Bush Sr. broke the "read my lips" pledge at the urging of Democrats in the spirit of comprise and working together only to have them completely crucify him as a liar and tax raiser in '92. Don't think Republicans didn't learn an enduring lesson from that. As the old saying goes, you reap what you sow.

I agree with that as well. Perot definitely took a lot more votes from GHWB than he did from Clinton.

Just saw that Cantor outspent Brat 22-1. Very, very interesting.

I don't think there's any question that if Perot doesn't run, Clinton doesn't win. Fundamentally changed the landscape of American politics.

If I remember correctly, Bush Sr. broke the "read my lips" pledge at the urging of Democrats in the spirit of comprise and working together only to have them completely crucify him as a liar and tax raiser in '92. Don't think Republicans didn't learn an enduring lesson from that. As the old saying goes, you reap what you sow.

Do you have a link for this? He really built a compromise with Democrats into his presidential campaign?

So immigration reform is dead? So the immigration laws are gonna be enforced?

Hilarious. And this loss is NBD, numbers. He's not a senator. Just another dickbag replaced by a bigger dickbag. Brat will have very few friends among powerful GOP members. He may as well stay home.

Do you have a link for this? He really built a compromise with Democrats into his presidential campaign?

He didn't build it into his campaign. He agreed to a tax increase as part of negotiations with the Democrats (as a concession to them). They then turned around and burned him with it in '92. No link, but it should be google-able.

Cantor's own internal polling showed him ahead by 34 points. Ooooooops.

How can fiscal conservatives waste so much money in primaries against each other?

Republicans are really bad at internal polling. Like tragically bad. That's what happens when you poo-poo education and science.

You guys whine about gerrymandering like it's some recent invention.

It's gotten much more prevalent. It used to be used to carve out a district for a party. Now it's used so that a party can finish with less votes and have an overwhelming advantage in the number of representatives. Basically completely thwarting Democracy.

Does the Dem have any chance?

CNN said there were rumors about Boehner thinking about stepping down as Speaker....as many times as Cantor stabbed him in the back trying to take his job this was poetic justice or simple karma.

Back