• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

Were Carl Tacy and Dave Odom considered great hires at the time ? Tacy had one very good year at Marshall and before that was at Ferrum Junior College. Odom was a good recruiter for Tacy and had a mediocre record at ECU before becoming Holland's top assistant at UVA. Both did pretty well at WFU. Prosser was more established than them but wasn't a really big time hire. I hope we can get a home run type of coach but I'm not expecting it.

This is where I am, but I would ask what is Wellman supposed to do if he offers a ton of cash to coaches who just turn us down? It's RW's fault we're in this position, no doubt, but he can't force coaches to accept our offers. Manning may very well be the best we can do.

Also, do remember that RW only lets information out that he wants let out. He could be testing the waters to determine whether he needs to rethink his strategy.

LOWF LIVES!!!!

LOWF LIVES!!!!

I wouldn't call it LOWF as much as the reality of the program's reputation right now. We aren't coming off two NCAAT bids and three first round picks like in 2010. And that's entirely on Wellman and his cronies.

I wouldn't call it LOWF as much as the reality of the program's reputation right now. We aren't coming off two NCAAT bids and three first round picks like in 2010. And that's entirely on Wellman and his cronies.

The acc affiliation in the unc/Duke market, with some historical success, is enough for a top 25 coach in my opinion. The program is marketable given the right leader. Rw is not that leader and is a laughing stock.

It's absolutely LOWF, and it's insufferable......fucking Clemson fans would be pissed at a Manning hire, and we probably don't even deserve him...

Were Carl Tacy and Dave Odom considered great hires at the time ? Tacy had one very good year at Marshall and before that was at Ferrum Junior College. Odom was a good recruiter for Tacy and had a mediocre record at ECU before becoming Holland's top assistant at UVA. Both did pretty well at WFU. Prosser was more established than them but wasn't a really big time hire. I hope we can get a home run type of coach but I'm not expecting it.

Simply put, this is not the early 70s or late 80s.

The acc affiliation in the unc/Duke market, with some historical success, is enough for a top 25 coach in my opinion. The program is marketable given the right leader. Rw is not that leader and is a laughing stock.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Wellman isn't the issue right now (or the view on the program because of Wellman's actions). The problem is that he is still the head of our athletic department and if his image is as bad as it appears, it is going to lower the appeal of the job. I would love for him to be fired so we can see what someone else could do with the department and what they can bring in as a head coach. The problem is right now, we have this dickface as our AD.

So when targets 1-7 reject us, what are we supposed to do? Continue offering 3M to Jay Wright and company? I'm so confused.

I'll answer again. Start a very clear, directed campaign to hire a new athletic director. Our current one is total damaged goods and it's become quite apparent with this latest fiasco.

So when targets 1-7 reject us, what are we supposed to do? Continue offering 3M to Jay Wright and company? I'm so confused.
no you sell yourself so youre NOT rejected by 1-7. this is a good job, the fact that Wellman can't close a deal with a good coach speaks volumes about him as a representative of our university

no you sell yourself so youre NOT rejected by 1-7. this is a good job, the fact that Wellman can't close a deal with a good coach speaks volumes about him as a representative of our university

While many of us on this board would like to believe it is a good job (I still believe this), the reality is the outside world may not view it in the same light (likely because of Wellman).

I'll answer again. Start a very clear, directed campaign to hire a new athletic director. Our current one is total damaged goods and it's become quite apparent with this latest fiasco.
One second everyone was all on Wellman's dick because of his ninja coaching search, and now it's a "fiasco" all because of one ESPN report? I'm gonna hold off on the sky is falling attitude for the moment (until Wellman actually hires Manning, and then of course we should start a new campaign).

While many of us on this board would like to believe it is a good job (I still believe this), the reality is the outside world may not view it in the same light (likely because of Wellman).

I don't think it's a glorious job, but for 3 million, and low short term pressure for a big name hire, the ACC (which I think is huge now), it is a decent job..

Then how is he not a bad or a not-bad hire?

This is what we know about Danny Manning as a coach:

Record: 21-13 in 2013-2014
-Good: Tulsa went 4-1 against the upper half of their conference (Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Middle Tennessee State)
-Bad: but they lost every game of substance outside of their conference: Wichita State by 23, Creighton by 10, TCU by 7 and 12, Green Bay by 12, Oklahoma by 10, Maryland by 11, and UCLA by 17
-Meh #72 kenpom.

TCU by 7 and 12? Yikes...

How has no one mentioned that Manning brought in a player who is currently awaiting a court date for rape allegations?

Can people please stop pointing to the past as any sort of defense for a hire of a Danny Manning type coach? The situation when we hired Odom and Prosser is entirely different than it is now. Back then we hadn't just watched an ACC bottom feeder break the bank for Buzz Williams. The playing field is entirely different now. We are willing to go for a big name and we should land one. Failure to do so falls squarely on Wellman.

Yeah, it's not that Wellman can't sell Wake Forest, it's that he can't sell himself.

Yeah, it's not that Wellman can't sell Wake Forest, it's that he can't sell himself.

Yeah, I will give you 3 million to coach. Now let me tell you how to coach, no tattoos, no swearing, proper socks, players that want to stay four years and then pursue graduate work, all players will need to be screened for thug behaviors (yes I will randomly assign what this means), also all of our games will be broadcast in black and white. So do we have a deal?

I don't care what Wellman has done to bring the program down and what circumstances surround the VT hire, VT managed to hire a very solid coach from a solid program that pays their coaches well. There is absolutely no reason that WF cannot and should not exceed what VT did.

Back