• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Q&A w/ Coach Bz

I'm puzzled why no one asks him about his conference road record. Example: Coach, in 4 years of major conference basketball (3 at Colorado and 1 at Wake), your teams have complied a 2-32 road record with ~20 of those games being blow outs. To what do you attribute that performance?

Ouch...sucks to see it spelled out like that.

disagree that "everyone" keeps asking about it.

David Turner (North Carolina)
Coach [Redacted] I'm guessing you used every tool in your coaching toolbelt last season ... did you learn anything during that process that maybe you didn't know before that will be useful moving forward?

Timothy (Wake Alum)
Coach [Redacted] - How frustrating was last season and how challenging is it to try and change the culture of a team to get the talent to shine through?

Stevenson (Dorm Room)
For Coach Biz .. how much easier is it in Year 2 with a new team compared to the first year where you are still having to get used to your surroundings, staff, etc.?

The rest of the questions were about conference realignment and breakfast.

Everyone cracked on Jeff from Charlotte, but he probably asked the best question, minus the FF reference...

Jeff (Charlotte)
Coach [Redacted].. what are some of the areas you felt the team needed to improve on this year to be a real Final Four threat?

Jeff [Redacted] (9:01 AM)
Obviously, you must defend and rebound. You must share the basketball. Defending and rebounding are the areas in which we're making a conscious effort to improve. Young players don't understand the intensity and urgency of that on every possession. We need to guard the ball better and rebound consistently, which will allow us to get easy points in transition. We're working on those areas daily to improve upon them.

Last edited:
"bz hits home run w/each ?"

:rofl: at that tag. I cannot tell if that was said in jest or not.

Coach Bzzdelik...Can you use the word "collectively" in a sentence?

Wake Forest (North Carolina)
How do the socks look for the next year? Will we have an exclusive deal?

Jeff [Redacted] (8:59 AM)
I tell you what, as you know, I am a frugal man of modest dress and appearance, so I buy the team's socks mostly at thrift shops. This year I bought a black Sharpie and I anticipate that we'll have a cool "WF" logo on them as well.

Demon Deacon (North Carolina)
What did you think of Mr. Wellman doing post game interviews and discussing the game just played?

Jeff [Redacted] (9:05 AM)
Wait a minute, Ron, can you get this one for me? :D

:rofl:

The rest of the questions were about conference realignment and breakfast.

Everyone cracked on Jeff from Charlotte, but he probably asked the best question, minus the FF reference...

fine question. no issue with the answer. as for my disagreement that everyone is asking, he brings it up in every interview no matter the question. the ones you highlight can easily avoid looking back.

1 - what did you learn coach? he can go anywhere with this. bzz stop looking back.

2 - culture change? clearly a bzz fan buying in.

3 - is it easier in year two now that you have grown accustomed to your surroundings? - this question has nothing to do with the "bad apples" from last year but he turns it into that.

Question: Coach [Redacted], tell us about your incoming freshman and what will they bring to the team this upcoming season?

Coach [Redacted]: Well, they're going to be very important for us to replace the bad apples we had to get rid of from last year. I had to spend 90 percent of my time dealing with these bad apples and the negative chi they brought to the team. With individuals like that on your team it's takes up too much time dealing with their selfishness and that's why we sucked so bad last year. By getting rid of those players things we will be a much better team this year, so I'm really happy with our freshman. Next question???

Question: Coach [Redacted], what impact to do think Randolph Childress being back at Wake Forest will make on the program going forward?

Coach [Redacted]: It's always a positive having a great player from the past around. Having to deal with selfish individuals on our team last year was such a burden on me and I had no chance to impart my vast basketball knowledge on our remaining players. Lots of sleepless nights last season just hoping the phone wouldn't ring at 1:30am regarding trouble that one of our dismissed players had gotten into, sleeping much better this year and the addition of Randolph has been a great one.

Um, thanks Coach. :eek:

Those knuckleheads played 26% of the minutes on the court last season. Add Walker and it goes up to 36%. Bz didn't have to play that much if they were hurting the team.

Exactly. Reminds me of the story when Wooden asked Walton to cut his hair. Walton tells coach you dont have the right to tell me to cut my hair, and I can keep it long if I want to. Wooden says that's correct, I cant tell you to cut your hair. The only thing I have control over is whether you play basketball or not.

It's real simple. If he doesnt like how 10% of the players are acting or are selfish or immature or whatever....dont play them. Especially last year of all seasons. I mean, I can understand it when you're number one in the country and you dont want to sit your best player who's being a jackass. That's a real conundrum. But, when you're literally losing every game by at least 20 points and you have roughly 384 fans coming to each game...grow some balls and sit the players who arent buying in.

So, to conclude: Not only does buzz suck as a coach, but he's a pussy too.

Question: Coach [Redacted], what do you think about the ACC adding Pitt and Syracuse?

Coach [Redacted]: Well sometimes you have addition by addition and addition by subtraction. For instance, our team this year is an example of addition by subtraction, because I had to get rid of the dead wood players I had to spend 90% of my time with last season and lost so much sleep over. Our team this season won't have those players so we added by subtracting the players that made us suck so hard last year. Now, adding 2 teams like Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC is definitely addition by addition, which is not like what we faced last year. So, I like it.

Question: Coach [Redacted], what's your favorite color?

Coach [Redacted]: That would be pink, like the imaginery pink slips I had to give the players on last year's team that took up 90% of my time. A company can't function when 10 percent of the employees aren't team players and you have to issue pink slips to those employees, not unlike the imaginery pink slips I issued to some players on last year teams. They were really pretty too, pink with a big WF logo in gold, outlined in black at the top. I wish they weren't imaginery so I could show you one, but I really like the color pink.

Last edited:
Exactly. Reminds me of the story when Wooden asked Walton to cut his hair. Walton tells coach you dont have the right to tell me to cut my hair, and I can keep it long if I want to. Wooden says that's correct, I cant tell you to cut your hair. The only thing I have control over is whether you play basketball or not.

It's real simple. If he doesnt like how 10% of the players are acting or are selfish or immature or whatever....dont play them. Especially last year of all seasons. I mean, I can understand it when you're number one in the country and you dont want to sit your best player who's being a jackass. That's a real conundrum. But, when you're literally losing every game by at least 20 points and you have roughly 384 fans coming to each game...grow some balls and sit the players who arent buying in.

So, to conclude: Not only does buzz suck as a coach, but he's a pussy too.

He didn't sit bench them completely but he did gradually take time away from JT and Ari. BabyDeac makes it sound like Bz had hoped to teach JT and sitting him completely wouldn't be productive.

3164zdu.jpg

w1vigm.jpg

Nice misleading charts. Both still played around 25 min/game.

I didn't make them, statsheet did. They shouldn't be misleading if you can read.

Jeff was being kind when he said that it was ten percent. That would be one or two players. In reality he was was dealing with a third of the team, a critical mass. JTT, Ari, Gary, Ty, Melvin. It was a situation where, without players stepping up to lead, that it was a test of wills between bloc of knotheads and the coach. Peer pressure versus leadership. Anybody who has managed in that environment knows that first you have give the players a chance to change and then, when they won't, help them find a team elsewhere where their type of selfish and immature behavior is welcome.

Jeff won the battle of 2010-2011. Ty is being kept around as a dead man walking to show that all the talent in the world is wasted if one won't allow oneself to be coached. He is the head on a pike.

No, you guys are misinterpreting the chart. It's a cumulative mpg chart.

Jeff was being kind when he said that it was ten percent. That would be one or two players. In reality he was was dealing with a third of the team, a critical mass. JTT, Ari, Gary, Ty, Melvin. It was a situation where, without players stepping up to lead, that it was a test of wills between bloc of knotheads and the coach. Peer pressure versus leadership. Anybody who has managed in that environment knows that first you have give the players a chance to change and then, when they won't, help them find a team elsewhere where their type of selfish and immature behavior is welcome.

Jeff won the battle of 2010-2011. Ty is being kept around as a dead man walking to show that all the talent in the world is wasted if one won't allow oneself to be coached. He is the head on a pike.

How can you include Gary in that when [Redacted] was constantly praising his attitude, work ethic, and effort last year???

How did he win the battle if he had to kick them off and suffered through a miserable season?

Back