• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

any suggestions for things to do in Paris/Nice for a family with youngish kids? Will do Normandy even though i know its not their age level but will offset that with a Disney trip

any suggestions for things to do in Paris/Nice for a family with youngish kids? Will do Normandy even though i know its not their age level but will offset that with a Disney trip
How young? I took my daughter there when she was 10 and didn't do anything especially childish and she loved it.

Versailles gardens are beautiful but also fun for kids, so you'd get a little culture/history while also entertaining for kids. The Tuileries Gardens outside the Louvre were also lovely and there are play grounds etc. She enjoyed the Seine river boat tour. Saw my lifer Honey Buzzard at Versailles, my lifer Ceti's Warbler in the Tuileries and my lifer Yellow Wag tail on the river boat, so, good birding too.

Lots of kids playing in Luxembourg garden when it’s warm. There are also two Canadian bars in Paris where you can feed her Americanish food.

is connecting in Heathrow a goddamn nightmare? on a flight from the US to Italy (Schengen). seeing mixed things and I know in the past when I've flown there the lines for passport control have been long as shit, but I was going from a Schengen country and continuing on within the UK.

Lots of kids playing in Luxembourg garden when it’s warm. There are also two Canadian bars in Paris where you can feed her Americanish food.
I’ll second Luxembourg Garden. We ended up spending several hours there and our kids burned off a lot of energy. They have a fun playground there, you actually have to pay to get in which was weird, but ended up being worth it.

is connecting in Heathrow a goddamn nightmare? on a flight from the US to Italy (Schengen). seeing mixed things and I know in the past when I've flown there the lines for passport control have been long as shit, but I was going from a Schengen country and continuing on within the UK.
Depends on the time of day in my experience. I’ve waited an hour at customs and I’ve breezed through.

If I land in Paris at 8:10am on a Thursday, can I make a connecting flight to Dublin at 9:55?

Should be able to. You’ll need to clear security. I don’t remember going through passport control. Assume CDG?
Yes. Currently I have a 7 hour layover at CDG before my flight to Dublin. I’m trying to analyze the feasibility of the other connecting flights

UPDATE: Due to the flight change & extended layover Delta allowed me to change my flight, now I am flying direct out of Atlanta to Dublin with only a 2 hour layover, and I will have basically a full day in Dublin, instead of arriving at 5 in the evening.

Last edited:
My wife and I are flying into Paris in early July. We've been there but want to spend another couple of days there before we move on to Burgundy. We need to be in Basel on Friday July 14th for a cruise. We could leave Paris Sunday morning the 9th. That gives us parts of two days and three full other days in Burgundy. I'm thinking we'll do Beaune one day.

Here's my question: it seems like a real pain in the ass to get from Lyon to Basel by train. I wanted to visit Lyon because I've heard great things about the city but it certainly don't want to miss Dijon and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting to Basel from Lyon given the limited transit options. Should I go straight from Paris to Lyon by TGV, stay there for a couple days and up to Beaune and then Dijon, or would you just suggest skipping Lyon?

Anybody here driven around in Sicily?
We did it in 2019. Spent two weeks. Flew into Palermo, spend a couple days there and then rented a car and took off. Drove from there south to Vittoria and took day trips from there. Then went to Syracuse (stayed in Ortigia) which was amazing. From there went to the north side of Etna and stayed at a vineyard hotel near Rovittello and then from there went to Catania and then flew out from there. The only part of the island we didn't see that I wanted to was Marsala to the southwest of Palermo. But overall it was my favorite vacation i've ever taken. It's absolutely gorgeous, the food and wine are exceptional and the people were all amazing. And the driving was generally very easy, once you are outside of the big cities. Driving in Palermo and downtown Catania is pure chaos. You'll defs want a nav system for sure as it can get kind of confusing with the billion roundabouts. And you should also be comfortable driving in a somewhat aggressive manner. People will ride your ass if you go too slow, and you have to be comfortable passing slow moving cars on two lane winding roads. If you don't then you may never make it anywhere quickly. But I cannot recommend it enough.

Anybody here driven around in Sicily?

I wouldn't recommend it.

CheapHeavyBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

Back