• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

Highly recommend for dinner and not too far from the Eiffel Tower

Also get the combined Orangerie/Orsay pass.

You should look into the Paris Museum pass:

that also feels like A Lot but you know your speed

the city is gorgeous I could walk around randomly for days without an itinerary and be fascinated
This is how I pretty much spent an entire day. We also went to the observation tower on a non-Eiffel tower building to avoid the long lines and it was great.

For one lunch, just duck into a local grocery store and buy a bottle of wine, some fresh fruit, local or regional cheese, fresh bread, pâté or cured sausage. You’ll need a knife, some way to open the wine, and some cups. Find a nice bench in a park and enjoy.

Here is my tentative itinerary for Paris, please tell me what you think.

Tuesday

12:45pm - Arrive at Gare du Nord

Metro to Albe Saint Michel Hotel in Latin Quarter

2:30 Lunch in Latin Quarter (where?)

4:00 Walking Tour Monmarte & Sacre Coeur

6:30 Arc de Triomphe (go up to observation deck?) - might skip this

8:00 Dinner (where?)

9:00 Trocadero & Eiffel Tower

Wednesday Sept 13

7:30 Breakfast

8:30 Saint Chapelle

10:00 Conciergerie

12:00 Lunch (where?)

1:30 Luxembourg Palace & Garden

4:00 Musee de Orsay

7:30 Catacombs

Thursday Sept 14

7:30 Breakfast in Les Halles

9:00 Galleries Lafayette Haussmann

10:30 Palais Garnier

12:00 Lunch

1:00 Tuileries

2:30 Louvre Guided Tour

7:00 Shopping & Eating

9:30 Dinner Cruise
I'm sitting out a 5 hour delay to Paris at RDU right now. Staying in Montmartre.

I have been brought to the realization that my itinerary was way too ambitious and would not have worked, so I am starting over.

I did find this great company that offers *free walking tours all over the world, where gratuity is expected, but still! I’ve booked a bunch of free walking tours in every city I’m visiting.

605 pm direct RDU to CDG last night
Flight delayed 5 hours+
Boarded just before midnight - told they were going to board all at once, zones be damned, in interest of time
Boarding quickly accomplished. Everyone in their seats. We sit for an hour or so
1:00 a.m., the pilot tells us we've exceeded the allowable window and unfortunately our flight will now depart Saturday (today)
All 300+ passengers deplane. The second we're all back in the terminal, they announce our newly scheduled 1 pm flight is now canceled
Chaos ensues

What a complete joke Delta. There were French families with small crying children who had sat there already for 9 hours who now didn't even have sleeping overnight in the terminal as an option.

They required everyone get their bags down in baggage claim, of course, and to add insult to injury forced people to run back and forth between three different carousels.

Kill me.

For one lunch, just duck into a local grocery store and buy a bottle of wine, some fresh fruit, local or regional cheese, fresh bread, pâté or cured sausage. You’ll need a knife, some way to open the wine, and some cups. Find a nice bench in a park and enjoy.
This is the move @myDeaconmyhand

In the Latin Quarter you’re treated to Rue de Mouffetard, a pedestrianized street with stalls and shops lining both sides and cafes at the top and bottom. A total gem.

We normally do one or two reservations when we're traveling but other than that just keep our eye out for fun cafe spots or spots recommended in general areas while we're wandering around for lunch and half the time just do that for dinner too. Especially when in Paris/Italy

place monge has a market a couple times a week too, gotta imagine the produce rn is pretty outstanding

Heading to Barcelona/tarragona on Tuesday for a wedding. Anyone been to tarragona with eating recs?

I do like the distinction being made between local and regional cheese

I said it before but Les Invalides is awesome and always on my rec list if you’re going to Paris and haven’t seen it before
Planning Paris is overwhelming - there are so many places to see and I know we won’t visit half of them. Starting over with my itinerary:

Eiffel Tower - Lift tickets to the 2nd floor or to the summit?

Louvre - Already have tickets for Thursday at 8am

Monmarte & Sacre Coeur - Got free walking tour tickets for Tuesday at 5pm

Catacombs - This is on the “have-to” list, but the tickets go on sale 7 days in advance.

Places I want to visit:

Place des Vosges
Conciergerie Museum
Luxembourg Palace & Gardens
Palais Garnier (Paris Opera)
Musee Orsay
Saint Chapelle
Galleries Lafayette Hauffman - for shopping

Last edited:
Would it be worth paying $30 to take a 90
minute tour of the British Museum before it opens in the morning? The motivation is partly the tour, but also the daytime saved by the early entrance, and not having to queue at the regular opening time

minute tour of the British Museum before it opens in the morning? The motivation is partly the tour, but also the daytime saved by the early entrance, and not having to queue at the regular opening time
Never been but that sounds like a good deal. Let me know if there are any Austin Powers exhibits.

That sounds like a deal all the way around.

Back