• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

The British Museum is fucking enormous.

I’m kind of a “look at the museum map and see what rooms you want to see and spend your whole time there” guy, but also find guided tours to be great when you’re open to the full experience.

I guess my only suggestion is to check credentials of the guide, though if you’re getting in early, sounds p legit.

I need some European Travel Assistance. My wife wants to go to Norway in March and see the Northern Lights. Should I go ?

I need some European Travel Assistance. My wife wants to go to Norway in March and see the Northern Lights. Should I go ?
I've never actually gone to see the Northern Lights but considered doing it in Finland. From what I understand you're never guaranteed to see them so be sure to give yourself a few days.

i remember going mid-week in November about 10 years ago and it was busy but not horrible. we were cheapskates b/c ITCwife was in grad school.

i'd def pay for a pre-hours tour now, though

Would it be worth paying $30 to take a 90
minute tour of the British Museum before it opens in the morning? The motivation is partly the tour, but also the daytime saved by the early entrance, and not having to queue at the regular opening time

Probably.

Especially if it’s a guided tour of a bunch of highlights.

We recently did a private tour of some British Museum highlights through Babylon. It was very good and helpful, especially since we had limited time. It was a good bit more expensive.

oh boy, working on our move to the UK and my wife just sent me orders to fill out applications to some fancy all-girls' school. fucking $150 per app just to apply.

Probably.

Especially if it’s a guided tour of a bunch of highlights.

We recently did a private tour of some British Museum highlights through Babylon. It was very good and helpful, especially since we had limited time. It was a good bit more expensive.
I paid for it this morning, doing the life and death in Egypt tour to see the mummies because that’s supposedly the most popular room in the museum.

My London itinerary is pretty full now, so freeing up time to just walk around or hop on a tour bus is key

Arriving on Friday the 8th at 1:30
3-6 - Old City Walking Tour
7 - Dinner at Indian Restaurant
-Free Time-

Saturday the 9th
8:30-11:30 - Tower of London
-Free Time-
3pm - Sky Garden
4:30 - Dinner at Blacklock City Steakhouse
6:30-8:30 - Jack The Ripper Walking Tour

Sunday the 10th
7:30am - Full English Breakfast
8:50-12 - British Museum
-Free Time-
4 - Sunday Roast
-Free Time-
6:30-9:30 - Globe Theatre “As You Like It”
-Free Time-

Monday the 11th
8am - All Day Bus Tour to Windsor Castle, Bath, Stonehenge

Also, I have no interest in traveling to Europe with my mother.

so you're only getting an hour pre-crowd?
Yeah, I read it as 8:30 first. Not my favorite way that I’ve spent $65 on this itinerary, but I saved it by doing Sky Garden for free instead of paying $75 to ride the London Eye for 30 minutes.

yeah. wife and i happened to get to stonehenge late on a rainy weekday and we were like the only people there, along with the murky weather, improved the mood

Bath is a cool little town and so are the Roman Baths

i didn't even know it had a military museum and the crown jewels are cool i guess

westminister feels like the epicenter of english culture a bit in a way the tower doesn't really capture idk

i mean, i don't want to yuck anyone's yum but if you're going to the UK on an organized tour you're probably hoping for the tourist highlights. WA is def cool and would not skip, personally, but it's a cathedral and a bunch of tombs.

young people tend to like freedom and wandering and i feel like boomers/older people are more like "meh, i just want to maximize my time investment !"

Back