• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

that was my exact first reaction to the question when i saw it

Does anyone have any experience traveling by ferry between Ireland and the UK? I am trying to decide between taking the ferry/Bus from Belfast to Edinburgh, or flying, and I’m having a hard time planning the ferry and bus

Does anyone have any experience traveling by ferry between Ireland and the UK? I am trying to decide between taking the ferry/Bus from Belfast to Edinburgh, or flying, and I’m having a hard time planning the ferry and bus
I've flown Ryanair from Glasgow to Dublin and it was easy and cheap.

I've flown Ryanair from Glasgow to Dublin and it was easy and cheap.
with two large suitcases it would cost $150 from Belfast International to Edinburgh on EasyJet, and $225 from George Best airport on Aer Lingus

with two large suitcases it would cost $150 from Belfast International to Edinburgh on EasyJet, and $225 from George Best airport on Aer Lingus
ah true yeah. we got slammed in the Glasgow airport by Ryanair. Then we got mugged in Dublin and my parents wired us some money. But we were flying Ryainair to France after Ireland, so knowing we needed to save cash for the bags we lived very sparingly in Ireland after (few beers, eating McDonald's euro menu, etc). And then they never charged us for excess baggage in Dublin, meaning we had a buncha cash left over...grrr.

Can anyone recommend me some restaurant in Barcelona? And Seville? And the Marbella/Malaga area? Going to Spain in May with my family and in-laws, Seville for a couple days, then leaving the kid with the grandparents and going to Barcelona for 3 days with my wife, then back to the Marbella coast for a couple days at the end. Turning 40 in a couple of weeks and it's my 10 year wedding anniversary this year.

ALSO, going to Dublin for 3 days on the way home with just the wife and son, staying right in the center of town, so I'll take recs for there as well!

Can anyone recommend me some restaurant in Barcelona? And Seville? And the Marbella/Malaga area? Going to Spain in May with my family and in-laws, Seville for a couple days, then leaving the kid with the grandparents and going to Barcelona for 3 days with my wife, then back to the Marbella coast for a couple days at the end. Turning 40 in a couple of weeks and it's my 10 year wedding anniversary this year.

ALSO, going to Dublin for 3 days on the way home with just the wife and son, staying right in the center of town, so I'll take recs for there as well!
Sal Gorda and Bar Agustin in Seville, but I wouldn't worry too much about restaurants, find a vibe you like try one or two dishes then move on. I must have deleted my recs for Barcelona, but the Cotton House was a great hotel with a very nice bar area.

1.5 - 2 free days in London…we’ve done most of the major sites in the past.

Thinking about a guided tour of the British Museum, a concert at St Martin-in-the-fields, a meal on a boat on the Thames, maybe a day trip out to Stonehenge + Windsor Castle (haven’t been to these).

Any thoughts if you have ‘em please.

Windsor Castle, and the little village around it, was our first stop in England when we went a few years ago. Really quaint and if I'm remembering correctly we were there when the Queen was in residence at the Castle. There was some parade or something as well - I can't remember what it was called, but it was neat. Good place to see some sights and get a bite to eat.

Took board advice and spending 3 nights in Dijon as our Burgundy base before we take the train to Basel for our cruise. We are doing a Beaune bike tour a week from Tuesday, and have all day Wednesday open before we depart Dijon on Thursday afternoon. Which day trip would you do - Cote de Nuits? Macon? Chalon-sur-Saône?

Took board advice and spending 3 nights in Dijon as our Burgundy base before we take the train to Basel for our cruise. We are doing a Beaune bike tour a week from Tuesday, and have all day Wednesday open before we depart Dijon on Thursday afternoon. Which day trip would you do - Cote de Nuits? Macon? Chalon-sur-Saône?
If you're into wine Cote de Nuits hands down

1.5 - 2 free days in London…we’ve done most of the major sites in the past.

Thinking about a guided tour of the British Museum, a concert at St Martin-in-the-fields, a meal on a boat on the Thames, maybe a day trip out to Stonehenge + Windsor Castle (haven’t been to these).

Any thoughts if you have ‘em please.

Windsor is a cute little town and a fun place for a day trip. Stonehenge is out in the middle of nowhere but you could possibly combine it with a day trip to Bath if that’s of interest.

Sal Gorda and Bar Agustin in Seville, but I wouldn't worry too much about restaurants, find a vibe you like try one or two dishes then move on. I must have deleted my recs for Barcelona, but the Cotton House was a great hotel with a very nice bar area.

I’m staying at cotton house next week! Good to hear it’s a nice place

Here's a fun update from that trip I took with my family to Spain and Ireland. Right when we got there, my 6 year old had a cold, which wasn't super fun in very hot Seville. But it was ok. Leave son with in-laws, fly to Barcelona with wife, I have his cold. Wiped me fairly decently. We get a call from the mother-in-law who is in Cadiz with FIL and son, FIL has covid. Nobody else does thankfully. Get to Marbella to meet them, wife wakes up the next morning with pinkeye in both eyes. Son gets an ear infection that night, FIL still covid positive (but feeling fine). We get thunderstormed on every day while we're there, get hailed on once, and the temp never gets above 75ish degrees so swimming in the pool isn't super fun. Also my son can't put his head under water, so that sucks too.

Eventually wife, son and I get to Dublin, which was awesome after the misery of Spain (aside from one of the best dinners of my life in Barcelona). Dublin was great, the food was great (and very kid friendly), and we want to go back to Ireland sooner than later. Spain was...fine...obviously influenced by outside factors. La Sagrada Familia was amazing at least.

Here is my tentative itinerary for Paris, please tell me what you think.

Tuesday

12:45pm - Arrive at Gare du Nord

Metro to Albe Saint Michel Hotel in Latin Quarter

2:30 Lunch in Latin Quarter (where?)

4:00 Walking Tour Monmarte & Sacre Coeur

6:30 Arc de Triomphe (go up to observation deck?) - might skip this

8:00 Dinner (where?)

9:00 Trocadero & Eiffel Tower

Wednesday Sept 13

7:30 Breakfast

8:30 Saint Chapelle

10:00 Conciergerie

12:00 Lunch (where?)

1:30 Luxembourg Palace & Garden

4:00 Musee de Orsay

7:30 Catacombs

Thursday Sept 14

7:30 Breakfast in Les Halles

9:00 Galleries Lafayette Haussmann

10:30 Palais Garnier

12:00 Lunch

1:00 Tuileries

2:30 Louvre Guided Tour

7:00 Shopping & Eating

9:30 Dinner Cruise

that also feels like A Lot but you know your speed

the city is gorgeous I could walk around randomly for days without an itinerary and be fascinated

that also feels like A Lot but you know your speed

the city is gorgeous I could walk around randomly for days without an itinerary and be fascinated
It is a lot! Too much for sure.

Back