• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

“Who led the fight against ISIS...”
“The slide of the United States into illiberalism may well have begun on June 1, 2020.“

Lol.

Boise population is fewer than 2% Black. Hard to find a black person in the crowd.

As bad as things are, I don't think I've ever been more optimistic about the future. I can't think of a time more people have wanted actual change.

Boise population is fewer than 2% Black. Hard to find a black person in the crowd.

As bad as things are, I don't think I've ever been more optimistic about the future. I can't think of a time more people have wanted actual change.

There is hope with this new generation on the racial front. It seems like on social media with the young crowd, being diverse is considered cool/moral/just and that's a positive. The problem is this crowd isn't procreating. In the white community, it's mainly the rural folks that are having kids as it seems from observations from my facebook friends. Most affluent friends have 1-2, if any at all. All the jackasses with straight C's in high school have 3-4. About 41% more kids born to republicans according to an article I just read in 2019, I believe that's for all races. Part of my visceral reaction to the looting aside from it being all in places I have spent a lot of my time, is that it's really the first of its kind in the social media/cell phone age. I think it just does so much damage to the cause, and it's basically introducing a fear that didn't exist a week ago to a growing portion of the electorate. And once it's on video, it doesn't go away.

Last edited:

The Utah National Guard Twitter has been proudly promoting this.

I’m wondering where they are being housed and on what dime. I can think of at least one hotel that’s not too far away.

There is hope with this new generation on the racial front. It seems like on social media with the young crowd, being diverse is considered cool/moral/just and that's a positive. The problem is this crowd isn't procreating. In the white community, it's mainly the rural folks that are having kids as it seems from observations from my facebook friends. Most affluent friends have 1-2, if any at all. All the jackasses with straight C's in high school have 3-4. About 41% more kids born to republicans according to an article I just read in 2019, I believe that's for all races. Part of my visceral reaction to the looting aside from it being all in places I have spent a lot of my time, is that it's really the first of its kind in the social media/cell phone age. I think it just does so much damage to the cause, and it's basically introducing a fear that didn't exist a week ago to a growing portion of the electorate. And once it's on video, it doesn't go away.

I think there are many people who feel the same about George Floyd’s death and the scenes of police violence in reaction to peaceful protests.

I think there are many people who feel the same about George Floyd’s death and the scenes of police violence in reaction to peaceful protests.

I think everyone felt sick watching the George Floyd video. But most people don't see the police as a threat as most people don't think they do anything that will likely involve them being in the crosshairs of the Police. They think the Police generally protect them. Obviously this isn't the case in the african american community, but going against the majority is a losing battle. As is these ideas of defunding the police force. If we come out of this with independent civilian oversight of the police that would be good. If we come out of this thinking every time something bad happens we should riot and protest then that's going to end up being a losing strategy. It seems we're headed towards the losing strategy.

Zahalea Anderson looks at the burned-out remains of her business in Long Beach. (Courtesy of Zahalea Anderson)

f1f713e0-a536-11ea-beff-aee741388b6f

palma, I think that was a more thorough explanation of your thought process than you have posted before, and even though I don't agree with all of it, I do think you make some good points. For your point regarding the birthrate, and how it corresponds to SES and political ideology, I do believe that our society is going to become further and further politically polarized and isolated on a rural/urban divide, but the stats you posted don't seem to account for Latino immigration

Regarding the looting having a politically reactionary effect on people - that's baked in. The same thing has been said during every social uprising. In and of itself, the risk of polarizing scared whites is *never* going to be a mitigating factor on urban looting and rioting. In effect, those same white persons reactionary nature precipitates authoritarianism and injustice, so it's a viscious cycle of diametrical social forces. The difference though is that black people are the victims of injustice and racism *every day*, while reactionary whites are only victims to rioting very seldomly if ever.

Last edited:
palma, I think that was a more thorough explanation of your thought process than you have posted before, and even though I don't agree with all of it, I do think you make some good points. For your point regarding the birthrate, and how it corresponds to SES and political ideology, I do believe that our society is going to become further and further politically polarized and isolated on a rural/urban divide, but the stats you posted don't seem to account for Latino immigration

Regarding the looting having a politically reactionary effect on people - that's baked in. The same thing has been said during every social uprising. In an of itself, the risk of polarizing scared whites is *never* going to be a mitigating factor on urban looting and rioting. In effect, those same white persons reactionary nature precipitates authoritarianism and injustice, so it's a viscious cycle of diametrical social forces. The difference though is that black people are the victims of injustice and racism *every day*, while reactionary whites are only victims to rioting very seldomly if ever.

Yes it might not have accounted for latino immigration. My point started with a simple observation of my facebook feed which has 200 people from my graduating class in it, 90% of which were white, and I certainly lived in a very very small, but even so segregated town. We're talking 1 traffic light and 3,000 people. I mean all the dumbasses have three kids. None of the 20 or so of us in the AP classes have 3-4 kids. The average actually seems to be under 1. Then did a quick google search and found an article that confirmed it. I have no actual idea if it's true. But people in rural america can afford to have kids cause the housing is cheap. Those in cities can't. So it seems to make sense to me.

To your second paragraph, the same has been said during every social uprising, but this is the first one during the social media age. I think it backfires.

Here's my theory to the racial problem in this country: Most people don't like loud people. Who gets all the slack on these boards? The super loud liberal, the super loud RJ, the super loud republican. Basically all the people with a lot of posts. White culture is on the decline. The Trump era shows this. The fact that the average asian person makes more than the average white person shows this. The asian community has built a culture, instills it in its family, and is quiet. Now they're on top. Maybe not at the super upper end of the spectrum, but on average, they are.

White people are lazy because they've been on top for too long, so they're generally declining. But no one likes the loud Karen upset at everything in a PTA meeting, or the loud white person on Nextdoor or the loud MAGA guy. Everyone is uncomfortable around the loud guy on the subway.

Obviously this is a stereotype, but this is the black community's underlying problem. Black culture is louder than other cultures. It especially likely causes alot of their issues with the police. That video of the guy stopping his car and yelling at the cops for shooting gas pellets at him because of his pregnant girlfriend, it would never occur to an asian guy to do that.

There's nothing really in the videos that seemed to indicate George Floyd was overly aggressive, yet 4 police officers seemed to feel the need to have to restrain him. Maybe at some point he started resisting which wasn't caught on tape. Obviously nothing whatsoever excuses kneeing him in the neck for 8 minutes. That's why this has caused so much outrage. But it's hard to believe that NOTHING happened from when they were walking him to the car to where they all smashed him into the ground. He may have just never shut up. Every time I've interacted with cops, and I've been arrested, I just immediately go into subserviant mode and I don't fear for my life. This is largely stereotypical and of course there are many incidents like people getting shot in their own home, but I don't see how getting in the police's face and yelling at them and talking back to them helps matters at all. It's probably what's causing a good portion of the problems, and it mostly relates to the african american community being louder than others. Once that changes culturally, things will get better. I wouldn't count on people all the sudden liking loud people. I'm sure its a racial thing to some, but for the most part there's no one more popular than the black guy that fits in. People just generally aren't comfortable with people standing out.

Last edited:
Yes it might not have accounted for latino immigration. My point started with a simple observation of my facebook feed which has 200 people from my graduating class in it, 90% of which were white, and I certainly lived in a very very small, but even so segregated town. We're talking 1 traffic light and 3,000 people. I mean all the dumbasses have three kids. None of the 20 or so of us in the AP classes have 3-4 kids. The average actually seems to be under 1. Then did a quick google search and found an article that confirmed it. I have no actual idea if it's true. But people in rural america can afford to have kids cause the housing is cheap. Those in cities can't. So it seems to make sense to me.

To your second paragraph, the same has been said during every social uprising, but this is the first one during the social media age. I think it backfires.

Here's my theory to the racial problem in this country: Most people don't like loud people. Who gets all the slack on these boards? The super loud liberal, the super loud RJ, the super loud republican. Basically all the people with a lot of posts. White culture is on the decline. The Trump era shows this. The fact that the average asian person makes more than the average white person shows this. The asian community has built a culture, instills it in its family, and is quiet. Now they're on top. Maybe not at the super upper end of the spectrum, but on average, they are.

White people are lazy because they've been on top for too long, so they're generally declining. But no one likes the loud Karen upset at everything in a PTA meeting, or the loud white person on Nextdoor or the loud MAGA guy. Everyone is uncomfortable around the loud guy on the subway.

Obviously this is a stereotype, but this is the black community's underlying problem. They're loud all the time. It especially likely causes alot of their issues with the police. That video of the guy stopping his car and yelling at the cops for shooting gas pellets at him because of his pregnant girlfriend, it would never occur to an asian guy to do that.

There's nothing really in the videos that seemed to indicate George Floyd was overly aggressive, yet 4 police officers seemed to feel the need to have to restrain him. Maybe at some point he started resisting which wasn't caught on tape. Obviously nothing whatsoever excuses kneeing him in the neck for 8 minutes. That's why this has caused so much outrage. But it's hard to believe that NOTHING happened from when they were walking him to the car to where they all smashed him into the ground. He may have just never shut up. Every time I've interacted with cops, and I've been arrested, I just immediately go into subserviant mode and I don't fear for my life. This is largely stereotypical and of course there are many incidents like people getting shot in their own home, but I don't see how getting in the police's face and yelling at them and talking back to them helps matters at all. It's probably what's causing a good portion of the problems, and it mostly relates to the african american community being louder than others. Once that changes culturally, things will get better.

I think what you meant to say is that our society punishes women and non-whites for wanting their voices to be heard. If black people were actually loud all the time, it wouldn't take massive protests for our voices to be heard.

I'll need to see the math on this idea that these are the first protests of the social media age. Ferguson and subsequent BLM protests were part of the fabric of the 2016 election. Obviously there's even more video of everything nowadays, but this is not the first of anything.

I agree that MDMH that the people you're talking about are already baked in. But here is the difference. I think those people may be more likely to just not vote. I understand that they're scared of rioting and looting and have this irrational common fear that someone is going to take their stuff (seriously, those people who are predominantly are like that dude from Office Space with his stapler). But more of them are willing to acknowledge there is a problem with policing.

The other factor is any young progressives who were planning on sitting out this election because of Biden can look at what happened in DC and pin this directly onto Trump. I haven't seen any bitching about "vote blue no matter who" over the last week. The dividing lines are clearer than ever. Young people willing to protest are going to be more willing to vote. Biden and Democrats still have work to do, but I would expect voter participation among 18-25 year olds to be much higher than previous years.

Side note: If cops can harass people for peaceful protesting, they can and will harass people for standing in line to vote.

I think what you meant to say is that our society punishes women and non-whites for wanting their voices to be heard. If black people were actually loud all the time, it wouldn't take massive protests for our voices to be heard.

I'll need to see the math on this idea that these are the first protests of the social media age. Ferguson and subsequent BLM protests were part of the fabric of the 2016 election. Obviously there's even more video of everything nowadays, but this is not the first of anything.

I agree that MDMH that the people you're talking about are already baked in. But here is the difference. I think those people may be more likely to just not vote. I understand that they're scared of rioting and looting and have this irrational common fear that someone is going to take their stuff (seriously, those people who are predominantly are like that dude from Office Space with his stapler). But more of them are willing to acknowledge there is a problem with policing.

The other factor is any young progressives who were planning on sitting out this election because of Biden can look at what happened in DC and pin this directly onto Trump. I haven't seen any bitching about "vote blue no matter who" over the last week. The dividing lines are clearer than ever. Young people willing to protest are going to be more willing to vote. Biden and Democrats still have work to do, but I would expect voter participation among 18-25 year olds to be much higher than previous years.

Side note: If cops can harass people for peaceful protesting, they can and will harass people for standing in line to vote.

Can agree to disagree. Just my theory. I gave a lot of examples of loud white people no one likes, I used one example of the Karen at the PTA meeting. All the other examples are all men. I edited a post to not say that black people are "actually loud all the time" to say "louder culturally" From my experience in life, on the subway, in public, etc. culturally black people, are more vocal than other cultures. The majority just wants to ride the subway and not hear someone talking to themself. They're not hoping a white person is talking instead.

Last edited:
The rest of your post I agree with, but Dems already won this election by a landslide. Enough people are worried Trump will start WW3, and he only won by a tenth of a percent the first time.

Richmond strip club owner tries to disrupt protests by threatening to poison the water set out for the protesters. Possibly actually did it. Don't go to Richmond strip clubs (I think he owns basically all of them).

Your examples of white men “nobody likes” were just a few vague descriptions of people on a message board that’s like at least 95% white guys.

And a loud white guy nobody likes is President.

I appreciate Palma’s sincere thoughts. Don’t agree with him, but heartfelt honesty is in short supply these days.

Palma: nobody likes loud people

Also Palma: here’s 6 paragraphs on what I, a white person, see as the problem with black culture

Huh. Who would have thought that the Democrats who control the major cities have the ability to control the budgets, militarization, and direction of the police forces in those cities? Amazing concept.

Back