• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Rj - do some research and education on what people mean when they talk about abolishing the police. People are here are not responsible for your education, and your reductio ad absurdum responses are not helpful to the thread.

People here want no more police period. No change will be enough. They have stated they no prisons for any reason.

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2020/06/police-abolition-george-floyd/

"What does this end up looking like on a practical level, say, if my car gets stolen?

A friend of ours, they had their car stolen. The police actually recovered it and arrested the driver. So they were like, “See? We need police.” And I said, “Well, let’s dig a little deeper here. What do we know about the person who got arrested that stole your car?” “Uh, the police said that he’d been arrested a bunch of times and there was drug paraphernalia left in the car?” And I’m like, Hmm. So we tried policing a bunch of times with this guy. Did it prevent your car from getting stolen? No. Is this person stealing cars because they have a drug problem? Probably. Is sending them to jail over and over again fixing their drug problem? No. Okay, if we want to reduce vehicle thefts, the first time that we come in contact with this person, we’ve got to start trying to address what’s driving their problematic behavior."

This is a perfect example of what I've said. Without cops, you don't get your car back and it's stolen.

It also fits the cornerstone of my statement in that it brings in societal that haven't been fixed as my "evolutionary" position is.

That I (and most others here) am for systemic and deep reform isn't enough for the extreme left.

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

rarely so proud to live in dc

These churches along 16th St NW in DC will be ringing their bells for 8 minutes, 46 seconds tonight starting at 5:45. I'll be there.

All Souls Church Unitarian
Augustana Lutheran Church
Calvary Baptist Church
Christ Lutheran Church
Congregation Action Network
Disciples Refugee & Immigration Ministries
Eighth Day Faith Community
Emory Fellowship
Fabrangen Havurah
The Festival Center
First Trinity Lutheran Church
Foundry United Methodist Church
Grace Lutheran Church
National City Christian Church
Nineteenth Street Baptist
Peoples Congregational UCC
Sixth Presbyterian Church
Silver Spring United Methodist Church
St. Matthews DC
St. Stephen & the Incarnation Episcopal Church
Washington Ethical Society
Zion Baptist Church

Interesting (maybe not) that First Baptist isn't on the list. it's on 16th (next to my old office) and we attended a few services there -- it's where Eleanor Holmes Norton attends.

It’s really surprising how dumb these departments are across the nation. The eyes of the world are on you, the scrutiny has never been higher and it’s one amazing fuckup after another. I’m not over to the fully “abolish all police” side...but if these numbskulls are the best we can do then why are they here.

It was the same in the Sixties during the antiwar and race riots. One of the things that the antiwar protesters chanted over and over at the police during the infamous Chicago riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention was "the world is watching", and it was on TV. That didn't stop the police from beating the crap out of college kids, tear gassing them, and all the rest.

Props to Kory. I see what you did there starting the Forbes mask video thread.

It was the same in the Sixties during the antiwar and race riots. One of the things that the antiwar protesters chanted over and over at the police during the infamous Chicago riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention was "the world is watching", and it was on TV. That didn't stop the police from beating the crap out of college kids, tear gassing them, and all the rest.

good thing we're on an evolutionary cycle though

Drew Brees was the saddest kind of wrong

Jerry Brewer piece, analysis.

Take all of him into account, and Drew Brees is among the most exceptional human beings in sports. If we agreed on criteria and a system to rank humanity, there is a chance he could finish No. 1. From his multifaceted efforts to revitalize New Orleans post-Katrina to his $5 million commitment to feed the needy in Louisiana during the pandemic, Brees epitomizes the character, benevolence and grace that people seek in a sports role model.
Yet he was still capable of sounding like a misguided, insensitive dolt.
For all his usual good intentions, he defaced one aspect of the most important potential movement in this burning nation. He hurt people even though he has dedicated much of his life to helping them.

It doesn’t make him a covert enemy. However, it does expose him as a sometimes ignorant, lazy thinker in desperate need of a broadened perspective. There is a single word for his kind, and keep it in mind as we proceed: normal. Astonishingly, unconsciously, pervasively normal...

But there is a larger lesson to take from the Brees controversy. For those who want this chilling time to transform from a moment into a movement, Brees is exactly the kind of person who needs to be admonished — but also reached. He was wrong Wednesday, yet on the whole, he is fundamentally kind. His critics need to have the emotional stamina to do more than tear him apart. They can expand his mind.
Let’s talk about human decency vs. genuine equality. The two ideas should intersect, but they often run parallel...

Worth reading. Try private browsing mode if no subscription.

More total domination by cops.

Social Justice >>>> Social Distancing

I think this is a reasonable discussion to have. I see it like sex education. You can teach abstinence, and that's fine, but in reality it is also extremely important to teach protection, because people are going to have sex. In this case, people are going to march and protest because it involves life and death issues, so healthcare providers can support these social causes by encouraging mask use, social distancing, hand washing, etc during the protests.

good thing we're on an evolutionary cycle though

As bad as things are today, they aren't as bad as when Frank Rizzo ran Philly. Bull Connor ran Birmingham or Day in Chicago or hundreds of other places in the US.

There needs to be dramatic change but to say none has happened is to deny history.

As bad as things are today, they aren't as bad as when Frank Rizzo ran Philly. Bull Connor ran Birmingham or Day in Chicago or hundreds of other places in the US.

There needs to be dramatic change but to say none has happened is to deny history.

Dude shut up. Your generation made some noise, then sold out, took your ball and went home. Hopefully ours does not repeat your mistakes. Change doesn’t happen at the snails pace that you’re comfortable with. This is the brightest moment for true racial and economic reform in 40-50 years, we can’t slow down now. Tens of millions of people are committing to no longer remain complicit and silent. This IS the moment. Fucking change everything now. We can’t wait any longer.

Last edited:

lol they literally just took down the statue of Rizzo in response to the protests

just remember, we're standing on rj's shoulders

he crawled so we could walk

doesn't an evolutionary cycle imply a return? didn't realize rj was so nihilistic.

Back