• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

This is the problem I have with the defund the police movement, that it has this unrealistic expectation that all people always act rationally and there aren’t bad people or bad events that happen every day.

I don’t think this is the case. Abolitionists don’t believe harm won’t exist in a world without police.

Harm happens everyday and despite infinite resources cops do very little to prevent it.

And before you say someone being shot and killed isn’t preventing harm but the choice is prevent unarmed person harm or harm armed person, that’s your option.

Which is why I trust the feelings of the people who witnessed it over the feelings of the cop who just showed up and shot or randos on the internet who watched a short video as if they were at the NBA replay center in Secaucus.

Agreed. The lived experience of these people far outweighs the feelings of the cop in that situation. No earnest attempt to deescalate, just shoot. A 16-year-old honor student is dead tonight because a cop unloaded on her instead of a warning shot or shooting her in an extremity. If she was white, she would be alive tonight. Abolish these motherfuckers.

I remember during the campaign when Biden suggested that cops perhaps shoot people in the extremities instead of a kill shot, the progressive response was how this demonstrated how completely out of touch he was. Now in this instance you have many progressives saying that this person should have been shot in the extremities instead of a kill shot.

It's almost as if progressives are unreasonable

Agreed. The lived experience of these people far outweighs the feelings of the cop in that situation. No earnest attempt to deescalate, just shoot. A 16-year-old honor student is dead tonight because a cop unloaded on her instead of a warning shot or shooting her in an extremity. If she was white, she would be alive tonight. Abolish these motherfuckers.

Terrible situation all the way around. I just wanted to say that in my experience working with several different law enforcement agencies, as well as my own time attending a state police academy, warning shots or aiming for extremities aren't really a thing. That line of thinking is a product of television and movies. I was trained to only pull my gun if I was ready to use it and then aim for center of mass when shooting. Of course, guns seem to come out way too often and too soon in my opinion. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to that line of thinking that I see fairly often.

I remember during the campaign when Biden suggested that cops perhaps shoot people in the extremities instead of a kill shot, the progressive response was how this demonstrated how completely out of touch he was. Now in this instance you have many progressives saying that this person should have been shot in the extremities instead of a kill shot.

Totally normal society we live in to say “kill shot” about a 16 year old.

Totally normal society we live in to say “kill shot” about a 16 year old.

This. Why is this acceptable in a country that at least pretends to care about children?

I think "many progressives" would skew toward taser/not using a gun over shooting an extremity in this case, but maybe I'm not plugged in to the right sources

Not a cop guy, but that chick was attempting to murder someone. Getting stabbed can be extremely deadly. Idk.

It's almost as if progressives are unreasonable

Always an opportunity to blame the left!

Ph has made several references on this thread to other witnesses who were upset that the officer shot the young lady. I have not done a deep dive into this, but so far have not read any such accounts. I would be interested in those if Ph or someone can post a link. The testimony of eyewitnesses to the whole situation would be relevant.

My lukewarm take based on what I see so far is that the officer was following his training and the shooting was justified. That does not mean that arguments about the overall framework of police training, deescalation, etc. are invalid points here. I also agree with the point that this one officer managing to interrupt this one attempted murder is not a good argument for the overall status quo of policing in this country. Officers fail to interrupt over 15,000 murders each year, after all.

Would we be more ok with this if it were a 25 year old man getting ready to stab a 75 year old man with a knife? What would we prefer the police officer in this instance to do, yell out "please don't stab her?". Knife = lethal weapon means lethal force. If it were a fistfight then absolutely just use the taser. A lot of hemming and hawing on this one- just don't want to see this case diminish the actual instances of where police were in the wrong.

Most articles I’ve read that have any details have accounts from people on the scene who didn’t like how police handled it. By contrast, people (generally white guys) who had no connection to the incident seem fine with it.

Here’s one article with some background.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/21/us/columbus-police-shooting-bryant.amp.html

I’m sure there are some local pieces with even more context and will be more today and going forward.

Hoosier, I understand your point but these cops didn’t even try to break it up. They made a decision that somebody had to die.

Note- I have not watched the video. I don't watch videos of people dying.

If, as described, a person has a lethal weapon that they are threatening to immediately use on someone else, I'm not sure what else can be done other than what was done. But the litany of situations where police escalate instead of de-escalating has made me wary of any claim that the cop's approach was correct.

Most articles I’ve read that have any details have accounts from people on the scene who didn’t like how police handled it. By contrast, people (generally white guys) who had no connection to the incident seem fine with it.

Here’s one article with some background.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/21/us/columbus-police-shooting-bryant.amp.html

I’m sure there are some local pieces with even more context and will be more today and going forward.

Hoosier, I understand your point but these cops didn’t even try to break it up. They made a decision that somebody had to die.

4 seconds into the video you posted, the cop sees someone push another person to the ground while holding a knife, and the cop yells, "Hey Hey Hey, Get Down, Get Down, Get Down, Get Down!"

as he is saying this, she has moved on to someone else and is about to thrust the knife at this other person

there wasn't much time for detailed negotiations here. Not even trying?

Back