• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Would love to see the outcome of this entire debacle be a Federal mandate that all levels of non-military police be required to wear cameras.

Taser stock through the roof in anticipation. The cameras are only $400. A single incident like this probably costs the same as equipping half the country. Sell some of those stupid fucking military vehicles...

The point about facial recognition software made yesterday was an excellent one. It would essentially be mandating mobile surveillance by every police officer in the country.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/08/19/is-the-press-in-ferguson-behaving-irresponsibly/

A nice example of absolutely abhorrent reporting. Mr. Rothman fails to comprehend that just maybe the police aren't as virtuous as he believes. Hilarious how he tries to couch his indefensible position with its "complicated".

The press have become part of the story because the cops have fired tear gas repeatedly into protesting crowds who up to this point have only seen the person there protesting for Mike Brown killed and then have drips and drops of info to the media assassinating his character.

The point about facial recognition software made yesterday was an excellent one. It would essentially be mandating mobile surveillance by every police officer in the country.

Isn't that essentially the logic behind beat cops in the first place though?

so, now we can install cameras everywhere like england does, right? or is that still a 1984 problem

Christine ByersVerified account
‏@ChristineDByers
Police sources tell me more than a dozen witnesses have corroborated cop's version of events in shooting #Ferguson

Yet no one has come public or their comments haven't been released? That's surprising...

Last edited:
‏@ChristineDByers
Police sources tell me more than a dozen witnesses have corroborated cop's version of events in shooting #Ferguson

Yet no one has come public or their comments haven't been released? That's surprising...

Yeah, can't imagine why no one has come out and contradicted the established version of events.

So the police decided to interview witnesses? That's new.

You are changing what you said (don't blame you). You said "automatic 6 month jail sentence for any killing in self defense". That is just crazy.

You are the one that can't be serious. As Skins says, huge difference between made up self defense claims and actual self defense. By saying that anyone who kills anyone in self defense should go to jail is insane. You are punishing someone for deciding they don't wantt to die. That's crazy talk.
I'm not changing what ive said. It's my opinion that we have a subset that's become vastly over zealous in their right to defend themselves, so much so that they're open carrying AR-15's into Chipotle and scaring people, and i'm confident that many cops fall into that same subset.

Obviously we can't nor shouldn't do away with the 2nd amendment, and we definitely can't eliminate racial prejudice. There should be a deterent for taking human life, even in self defense. I believe a deterent would be much more effective on those over zealous in practicing their own 2nd rights, than it would be on those who unfortunately had no other choice.

Don't quite understand Wilson's "Josie" angle. Even if he's completely cleared, he's never going to work as a cop in Ferguson or metro St Louis again. Could be trying to poison a potential jury pool, but he may never go to trial and the venue will be moved. Think it's mainly a fundraising plea since his defense will be expensive.

Could you please post the exact same thing a few more times? I couldn't read it the first few times you posted it.

It really shows who you are.

You've had time and multiple opportunities to say you went over the line. Your silence is eloquent and lets us know a lot.

I'm not changing what ive said. It's my opinion that we have a subset that's become vastly over zealous in their right to defend themselves, so much so that they're open carrying AR-15's into Chipotle and scaring people, and i'm confident that many cops fall into that same subset.

Obviously we can't nor shouldn't do away with the 2nd amendment, and we definitely can't eliminate racial prejudice. There should be a deterent for taking human life, even in self defense. I believe a deterent would be much more effective on those over zealous in practicing their own 2nd rights, than it would be on those who unfortunately had no other choice.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about the problem. However, to remedy that by installing a mandatory 6 month jail sentence even for real self defense cases is crazy.

‏@ChristineDByers

There is no way I would say anything publicly that contradicted the narrative of the protesters.

Life is life, even for criminals. It's obviously a theory, so getting hung up on "six months" is missing the point. There should be a legal deterent for taking a life that counteracts the brevado and over zealousness that rights of self protection have created.

Self-defense was never meant to be as open-ended as it is today. If a guy didn't have a weapon, no one used to think it was OK to scream self-defense and gun him down. Now, that's perfectly acceptable.

The way laws are written today you can literally use an AK versus a guy with a flyswatter.

don't know about this six months prison idea, but police forces in other civilized countries generally have a practice of retreating from dangerous situations, then containing them and ending them peacefully. See all the stories about how the German cops fired 85 bullets total in 2011. In the US we have this John Wayne Dirty Harry culture that tells police they are huge weaklings if they do that. They are trained and encouraged to end situations violently and "win" physically. If they do they are glorified. Equipping them all with military gear just amps it up to another level. I think as a society we could be every bit as safe if our police acted more like German police, but the police wouldn't get to beat up and shoot as many people.

Self-defense was never meant to be as open-ended as it is today. If a guy didn't have a weapon, no one used to think it was OK to scream self-defense and gun him down. Now, that's perfectly acceptable.

The way laws are written today you can literally use an AK versus a guy with a flyswatter.

fucking lawyers

Back