• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

Sure there is actual criticism to be had, however most people taking to Facebook posting shit like this are not doing so because they disagree based on the nuance of Obama's fiscal policies.

Like I said, no doubt that this is an absolutely idiotic "criticism" but that does not mean it is racist. The person might very well be racist and that is what led them to the conclusion that the Obama family lacks class but that is not possible to know by the posted picture. If the guy/girl had said "Get these classless black folks out of our White House" it would be a different story. Again, I think we too quickly mistake ridiculous "criticism" with racism. People make dumb claims about other people regardless of race.

I was absolutely shocked by the racist tone in this one, especially since it came from a member at a church I used to serve.
10378164_1518606965093084_5511145341209826785_n.png

I don't see any overt racism here. Am I missing something?

I mean, GWB ran on bringing class back to the White House after Slick Willy got a hummer in the Oval Office.

That dumb picture and caption just seems to be a continuation of that nonsensical argument.

I bet the person who posted the pic could better elocute his or her meaning behind "class."

Probably, but to look at that picture and caption and automatically jump to "it's racism" takes some mental gymnastics, IMO, and I think I'm pretty sensitive to racism.

So LK, dv7, etc, what is so unclassy about the Obamas?

Probably, but to look at that picture and caption and automatically jump to "it's racism" takes some mental gymnastics, IMO, and I think I'm pretty sensitive to racism.

They probably just miss bowties and pearls on the FF. I'm sure if Obama wore more bowties, then this guy would be fine. You certainly wouldn't see any comparisons to this.

What_s_in_a_name_-_The_Problem_with_the__Nation_of_Islam__%28part_1_of_2%29_001.jpg

I'm not sure. "Class" just seems like a loaded word at best and a placeholder word at worst.

No doubt the use of "class" is stupid there, but I don't see how that directly relates to the skin colors of the Bush family or the Obama family.

As I said, the narrative for GWB running in 2000 was that he was going to restore class and integrity to the White House. He was running against another white dude then and was really arguing against Clinton, a white dude.

Now, that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the person that posted that picture had some racial undertones in mind when they posted it, but I also don't think a person can look at that picture in a vacuum and reasonably assume it is racist in nature.

If you want to search for racism everywhere, I'm pretty sure you can eventually find it.

To me- it seems that showing a picture of white people in tuxes/dresses and saying "they have class, too bad the Obamas don't" is to make comment about race because I'm sure you can find a picture of the Obamas wearing almost identical clothing. What then, other than the color of their skin, is different? Their politics? I don't buy that for a second, if it was about that, the photo wouldn't be of the family. It would be different if they didn't bring the family into it- but what is classless about Michelle, or their daughters? If it's about issues, then show a picture of the issues. But the issue at hand in the photo is what they look like, and what they look like is white, in contrast to the black skin of Obamas. And that, at least in my book, is racism.

No doubt the use of "class" is stupid there, but I don't see how that directly relates to the skin colors of the Bush family or the Obama family.

As I said, the narrative for GWB running in 2000 was that he was going to restore class and integrity to the White House. He was running against another white dude then and was really arguing against Clinton, a white dude.

Now, that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the person that posted that picture had some racial undertones in mind when they posted it, but I also don't think a person can look at that picture in a vacuum and reasonably assume it is racist in nature.

:squint: I'm having a hard time squaring these thoughts.

The fuck?

Where did I say that the Obamas are not classy?

I didn't say you did. But you seem to suggest that there's a legitimate non-racial reason why somebody would think the Bushes are classy but the Obama's aren't.

So what is it?

Completely missed the fact that yesterday was 'National Unfriend Day'.

I didn't say you did. But you seem to suggest that there's a legitimate non-racial reason why somebody would think the Bushes are classy but the Obama's aren't.

So what is it?

Republican vs Democrat

and that isn't a legitimate reason either

I'm not sure. "Class" just seems like a loaded word at best and a placeholder word at worst.

Absolutely.

What basis is there for concluding that two Harvard-educated, wealthy married people with beautiful children are "lower class" than some Yale-educated, wealthy married people with children? There is no distinction to be made on wealth, marital status, education, mode of dress, decorum, or social reputation - in fact, one member of the "classy" family is an admitted recovering alcoholic and drug addict, notable "low class" behaviors. The only distinction here is race.

That said, perhaps this person is not addressing the current occupant of the oval office, but rather the purported 2016 anointed queen, Hilary Clinton. Now in that case, I would completely agree that the Bush family is "classier."

Back