• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook

Depends on the restaurant and chef.

I've lived in like half a dozen cities in the past 10 years. I've got college friends, high school friends, etc., all over the world. It's literally impossible for me to keep in contact with all of them, let alone kick back with a beer with them to have a good-ole-fashioned chat every so often. Yeah, TV dinners aren't as good as a nice meal cooked from scratch, but I'd rather eat a TV dinner than starve.

why is it impossible to keep in touch without facebook?

Why do you feel compelled to "keep in contact with all of them" at the level that FB offers? So not having every friend you've ever made at your fingertips at all times is akin to starving? That is my point exactly.

Generational difference I suppose, but it has nothing to do with resisting change.

Being able to keep in touch with friends, even on a minimal level >>>>>> than not being able to keep up with friends. Seems pretty simple what bdz is saying.

It's not impossible milhouse, but it is a hell of a lot easier through Facebook.

Why do you feel compelled to "keep in contact with all of them" at the level that FB offers? So not having every friend you've ever made at your fingertips at all times is akin to starving? That is my point exactly.

Generational difference I suppose, but it has nothing to do with resisting change.

Need to work on your reading comprehension, gramps.

To keep in touch with wide circles of people met in half a dozen cities who have since dispersed around the globe?

oh i get that you are mr awesome worldly, but why is it impossible to keep in touch without facebook?

not talking about making sure you know every minutiae of their everyday life

I've got a FB question. I am a member of several groups. There is one person/company who makes 100s of posts/day. Is there an Ignor button on FB for such things?

I've got a FB question. I am a member of several groups. There is one person/company who makes 100s of posts/day. Is there an Ignor button on FB for such things?

Yes.

it always cracks me up when people so vehemently oppose something that makes literally zero difference in their lives.

it always cracks me up when people so vehemently oppose something that makes literally zero difference in their lives.

weird that inane stuff is debated on a message board

pos rep to the milhouse hates zuckerberg tagger.

Mags, are you in the camp of liking to see your friends adorable kids or is that an immediate unfollow? Just trying to save us some time here. I don't post very often so I usually come up when my wife tags me in pictures of the kiddos.

oh i get that you are mr awesome worldly

That's nice of you to say. Wasn't my intention. Just trying to explain to an old guy how Facebook works and could be considered valuable to someone who doesn't have a rote existence, as if the 1.1 billion users weren't enough.

why is it impossible to keep in touch without facebook?

Life is busy? For someone in tech, it's strange you don't have an understanding of efficiency.

if on iPhone FB app: the next time that person posts, there will be a downward pointing arrow at the upper right of his post. Click on it and you are given 2 options: 1) I don't want to see this and 2)Unfollow. Choose Unfollow as #1 just removes that 1 post/update.

Can't access FB at work, so if that doesn't work for you, just Google how to remove someone from facebook news feed and you will see tons of help, including stuff from the facebook website.

I like to see the people out their enjoying their lives. If people want to post pictures of their kids, no problem here. But also, seeing all of the hilarious or uplifting stuff circulating out there. Other than the occassional picture of Achilles, I mainly share funny or uplifting stuff. Truthfully, the politics part is a little painful to take at times. Got it, people disagree.

If an old friend of yours who lives far away sent you a Christmas card or a postcard from a vacation, would you immediately throw it in the trash because it's not worth giving a shit about people who aren't at hand to have a beer on any given day?

Back