• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Failed Third Party Candidate Gary Johnson

Yeah, as long as it's a legit charity I'm down.

Also, somehow even when making a bet where money will go to charity you come across as a dick. That's impressive.

OK, we're on. No rounding off. 9.99%- I win, 10.00%+ you win.

I will have a legitimate charity if I win. As a matter of fact, how about this one? North Carolina State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital? I had three afghan hounds over a 24-year period and one of them developed lymphosarcoma at the age of only five. They were able to give her three extra years of 95% normal life. I made more than 70 140-mile roundtrips for treatments for her between August, 1985 & October, 1988 and have always had a soft spot in my heart for the work those people do down there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't make a charity bet with BKF because he's just going to turn around and post that he donated it to some charity that he knows would piss the person who bet with him off. Probably some "protect our kids from HB2 trans creeps" group.

I wouldn't make a charity bet with BKF because he's just going to turn around and post that he donated it to some charity that he knows would piss the person who bet with him off. Probably some "protect our kids from HB2 trans creeps" group.

Don't we feel a little silly, now?

OK, we're on. No rounding off. 9.99%- I win, 10.00%+ you win.

I will have a legitimate charity if I win. As a matter of fact, how about this one? North Carolina State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital? I had three afghan hounds over a 24-year period and one of them developed lymphosarcoma at the age of only five. They were able to give her three extra years of 95% normal life. I made more than 70 140-mile roundtrips for treatments for her between August, 1985 & October, 1988 and have always had a soft spot in my heart for the work those people do down there.

Deal, sounds like a worthwhile charity.

For my story: I was diagnosed with a hepatoblastoma (malignant cancerous primary tumor on my liver) at age 6 months, and after 3-4 courses of radiation and experimental chemotherapy, Brenner Children's Hospital saved my life. I was one of 10-12 cases in the country at the time who had this at under the age of one, and the procedure they used is now the "go-to" treatment course for anybody under the age of 4 who develops this. They saved my life and have saved hundreds since due to their ability to figure out the best course of action, primarily funded through donations.

Two really good charities.

Best of of luck.

Deal, sounds like a worthwhile charity.

For my story: I was diagnosed with a hepatoblastoma (malignant cancerous primary tumor on my liver) at age 6 months, and after 3-4 courses of radiation and experimental chemotherapy, Brenner Children's Hospital saved my life. I was one of 10-12 cases in the country at the time who had this at under the age of one, and the procedure they used is now the "go-to" treatment course for anybody under the age of 4 who develops this. They saved my life and have saved hundreds since due to their ability to figure out the best course of action, primarily funded through donations.

Two really good charities.

Best of of luck.

FROWNY FACE

At today's prices, there are two types of people who should not be going to WF for a liberal arts degree:

1) Those who can afford it. (Have more money than sense.)
2) Those who cannot afford it. (Even worse.)

Bottom line...and this affect the way I look at all conversation on these boards: I seriously question the sound judgment of anyone who would choose to go to WF at the prices they are charging today. There is no way I would have even considered going to WF today. (Of course, I would have fallen into the 2nd category. There would have been no way I could have afforded to go to WF even if I had wanted to do so...unless I was willing to go into debt about $100,000 or so in today's dollars, which in my opinion, would be a totally asinine thing to do.

If you can afford to go to Wake and get in, what's the problem? If it's not Wake, it'll be Duke, Davidson, Wash & Lee, or any other school similar to WF charging this price tag. Hell state schools are expensive too. It used to be college was about a car payment or so and now its a house payment. The system is broken, but what are you gonna do, not go somewhere for higher education and be a roofer the rest of your life?

I mean the whole model has shifted where college is the new high school, so I would spend as little as possible on undergrad within reason for a quality school. Then you spend the real money on post-grad education.

Austin Petersen is a wacko. He is not grounded by reality at all and just spouts off whatever the by the book Libertarian view is. He would stand no shot in a general election. Gary has the experience to know what will work and won't work, unlike Austin who is a purist/theorist. I will be extremely disappointed if Gary doesn't get the nod.

Meet the Press had a montage of some of the Libertarian candidates. Other than Johnson, a bunch of loopy bastards. Nobody as bad as the Rent Is Too Damn High Guy, but some serious wingnuts who make Michele Bachmann seem like a transgender James Madison. Did say that Johnson may not be a slam dunk to win the nomination. Did predict that if Johnson gets the nomination, he'll put AZ, MO, and IN in play for HRC and MN and ME in play for Trump. Potentially a net +17 EVs for Hilldawg.

The problem Johnson is having is his hand picked veep candidate, Weld, isn't winning over anyone else. They think he's a LINO. Kinda entertaining that as horribly as the Dems and Pubs are doing that the Libs are having significant infighting of their own.

Gary did a good job selling Weld in his acceptance speech. Hopefully the delegates follow his advice. Unfortunately, it is apparent that most of the people at that convention are fundamentalist lunatics so anything is on the table. Gary and Weld are the only pragmatic guys there.

Meet the Press had a montage of some of the Libertarian candidates. Other than Johnson, a bunch of loopy bastards. Nobody as bad as the Rent Is Too Damn High Guy, but some serious wingnuts who make Michele Bachmann seem like a transgender James Madison. Did say that Johnson may not be a slam dunk to win the nomination. Did predict that if Johnson gets the nomination, he'll put AZ, MO, and IN in play for HRC and MN and ME in play for Trump. Potentially a net +17 EVs for Hilldawg.

The loopy strain of the party doesn't get much play in serious circles but it is definitely there.

Gary did a good job selling Weld in his acceptance speech. Hopefully the delegates follow his advice. Unfortunately, it is apparent that most of the people at that convention are fundamentalist lunatics so anything is on the table. Gary and Weld are the only pragmatic guys there.

While a lot of the Libs there may be loony, the public won't see them for the most part. All the rest of us will see is Johnson and Weld. And the magic number is 15. If they can get into the debates, they could make this more interesting than it already is. And it's not just Drumpf that doesn't want Johnson in the debates. Hillary's main selling point is Drumpf is a lunatic, and I'm your only alternative. Johnson is a mild mannered, sensible guy. Put him on that stage, and it might appear he's the only adult there.

The folks Johnson will appeal to the most are fiscal conservatives, so he should draw many of those folks away from Drumpf. He'll appeal to the neocon foreign policy crowd even less than Drumpf, so he won't get much support there. He'll need some good Pub endorsements, like from the Bush family and the Pauls. But if he's going to poll decently, he's gotta entice some Dems too. If I were him, I'd release a slate of Supreme Court nominees like Drumpf has, but make them all moderates. And with Bernie still out there urinating on Hillary's corn flakes, I'd stress how his social liberalism and say how he's really gonna close Gitmo. While his fiscal message is the polar opposite of Bernie's, that social message may be enticing. And to the rest of us blue dogs, a fiscal conservative/social liberal who will put good judges on the Court isn't a scary thought. He should also schedule a lunch meeting with Bloomberg and see if he can get Bloomberg's endorsement.

Our best case scenario may just be Johnson, a Pub house (that ain't switching) and a Dem senate.

That convention was a shitshow but glad the Johnson/Weld ticket is finally a go.

The loopy strain of the party doesn't get much play in serious circles but it is definitely there.

When asked during a convention debate whether America should have entered WWI & WWII, Johnson said he didn't know. Won't go well in a general election when Pearl Harbor's factored in. During the same debate, Johnson said he supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act and was booed.

Back