• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantasy Football - Team Breakdowns

AFC West (if no one else has Oakland, SD, or KC)

Oakland - Maybe DMC and a WR but injury problems abound for them. Don't trust anyone else on the team. DEF could be decent for a spot start but most teams will have little problem with them.

San Diego
- Rivers could have a good season or continue to go downhill. Matthews is getting his last chance, same deal as Rivers - has the skill but is not performing up to it. WRs are hit or miss. Gates is getting old, probably a few great performances, some good ones and some bad ones but he's definitely not himself. DEF is average.

KC
QB - Alex Smith has done really well thus far in the preseason. Reid has a good gameplan for him and he's following though well on it. A gamemanager but nothing wrong with that. Probably a lower #1 or higher #2, he will provide decent numbers but will not be mistaken for the top echelon guys.
RB - Charles is a beast, and an underrated one at that. Last year, he would have been the comeback player if not for Manning and Peterson. He'll light up a lot of teams this year and probably only an injury will keep him out of the top 5 at the position. Definite first or second round pick.
WR - Kinda hit or miss. Bowe deserves to be drafted but he's never capitalized on his potential. I'd say a #3 WR at best but I also think he's lazy and unmotivated. Baldwin and McCluster (esp. McC) could put up decent numbers some weeks.
TE - Fasano will be a decent TE, probably start out as a borderline #1 but could emerge into an every week starter.
DEF - So much talent so they'll have to be pretty good. Still have lapses in coverage and run defense. Probably a top 10-15 defense with weeks of being in the top 3 along with weeks of being in the high teens to 20s.
This team will be Charles first. He is the bonafide stud and the first one to consider if drafting a Chief.

I think Rivers and Mathews will both outperform their draft positions and current projections. I like Wisenhunt at OC, and I think he will do wonders with Rivers. The oline is better, but losing Denarii Alexander hurst a lot. I still think Rivers can be like Cutler was described earlier.

Mathews is reportedly going to share carries and has trouble staying healthy. RB by committee and injury risks have dropped him so far down on draft boards and "expert projections." He's the 31st ranked back in CBS expert rankings. I wouldn't recommend relying on him as your RB1 or RB2, but he's a lot better than 31, and he's much more talented than Ronnie Brown or Danny Woodhead. As long as he stays healthy, he will get the bulk of the carries and will separate himself....could be a good buy low candidate.

The WR all suck except for Alexander and he's out for the year. Someone is going to have to fill the void, and Floyd sucks, so it kinda has to be the rookie Allen.

Defense is really terrible....zero outside rush, so pure pocket passers like Brees and Manning will feast on this shitkicker group.

not a team breakdown - but, I have the #1 pick this year and will keep 3 of the following

RGIII
D Murray
A Johnson
D Bryant

Can pick up A Foster with #1 pick, so I'm planning on dropping A Johnson from the above group (all others I can have for 2 years, but AJ would be gone after this one), but I'm a little hesitant b/c of RGIII's injury. Thoughts?

not a team breakdown - but, I have the #1 pick this year and will keep 3 of the following

RGIII
D Murray
A Johnson
D Bryant

Can pick up A Foster with #1 pick, so I'm planning on dropping A Johnson from the above group (all others I can have for 2 years, but AJ would be gone after this one), but I'm a little hesitant b/c of RGIII's injury. Thoughts?

Get a 2nd solid QB b/c I don't see RG3 getting the same rushing yards or playing 16 games. I think a good sleeper QB might be Vick, but even if he does have a good year, I can't see him playing 16 games either.

Chargers:

QB: Philip Rivers. UGH. Last year was painful. He had 2 weeks of 1 fantasy Point. He was a top 5 guy 2-3 years ago. I don't see him ever being a top 5 guy. But I don't see a repeat of last year. If McCoy's offense is the real deal, He could sneak into a top 10 QB. I definitely don't count him as a QB1 though, and He should be drafted as a backup at best.

RB: Ryan Mathews, Danny Woodhead. Ryan Mathews has had an injury plagued career. You can still see a LOT of talent when he is healthy. He came into preseason as the 1st and 2nd Down back, yielding 3rd downs to Danny Woodhead. I still see Woodhead getting a lot of time on third down, but Mathews has had a really solid pre-season. Avoid mathews in ppr leagues, unless its a really good spot. Pick up Woodhead as deep sleeper in PPR leagues. Mathews, In regular leagues, I could see a flyer as a RB2. BUT Would think he is a GREAT RB3.

WR: Some decent upside guys here.
Vincent Brown has all world talent. Battling injuries. In short spurts in his young career, has had some success. Right now is slated at WR2, but I believe he is more talented than anyone on the roster. With a good OC, GOOD QB and good health, I see top 10 WR potential in him pretty easily.
Malcom Floyd - Kind of dissapointing since the departure of Vincent Jackson. Has not produced what many thought. Some due to Injury, some due to lack of breakaway speed. Still with an aging Gates, could be #1 redzone target for RIvers.
Keenan Allen - I'd take notice of him in deep keeper/dynasty leagues. Kid was a flat out stud at Cal. But slated at WR3, might not be too relevant for this year. Put him on your watchlist though.
Eddie Royal - McCoy likes him a lot. Don't see a ton of time on the offense though for what's ahead of him. If you get really good bonuses for Kick/Punt return Points, could be an option.

ETA: I'm sure most of you have Denario Alexander off your draft board. But make sure you remove him, if you haven't done so all ready. I was looking forward to watching him play this year. Shucks.

TE - Antonio Gates. - Still aging. I see an improved performance from last year. But not the typical Gates we are used to. Some have him outside the top 10. Give me Gates late in the draft over the other Upstart guys.

K - Nick Novak. Very consistant from short range. Range of about 50. Haven't seen him make anything further. Air thick in SD.

D/ST/IDPs - Probably the chargers best fantasy entity, for the price. THey are ranked low, but this D Squad is VERY good. LBs are very good, lead by DOnald Butler. THey have one of the best Safetys in the league in Eric Weddle. Brought in Patrick Cox to stop the bleeding at corner with underperforming Cason and Grandpa Jammer. I look for good things. If you have late pick, and all decent Ds are gone, might not be a bad flyer here.

Last edited:
I think Rivers and Mathews will both outperform their draft positions and current projections. I like Wisenhunt at OC, and I think he will do wonders with Rivers. The oline is better, but losing Denarii Alexander hurst a lot. I still think Rivers can be like Cutler was described earlier.

Mathews is reportedly going to share carries and has trouble staying healthy. RB by committee and injury risks have dropped him so far down on draft boards and "expert projections." He's the 31st ranked back in CBS expert rankings. I wouldn't recommend relying on him as your RB1 or RB2, but he's a lot better than 31, and he's much more talented than Ronnie Brown or Danny Woodhead. As long as he stays healthy, he will get the bulk of the carries and will separate himself....could be a good buy low candidate.

The WR all suck except for Alexander and he's out for the year. Someone is going to have to fill the void, and Floyd sucks, so it kinda has to be the rookie Allen.

Defense is really terrible....zero outside rush, so pure pocket passers like Brees and Manning will feast on this shitkicker group.

I kind of disagree with a lot of this.

WRs don't all suck. They can't stay healthy, but they are a really solid group. Vincent Brown has a TON of upside, as does Allen. Floyd, you know what you are getting, but not a bad bench WR at all.

I think Mathews will be in a better position than a time share. He's just yielding third downs, for now. Danny Woodhead is also injured. The Irony.. And he's had a really good pre season.

The D/ST is really really good. They have, IMHO, the best punter in the league (Making for long fields for opponent offenses). Good Returner. Good players at Dline, LB and CB/S. I think Cox was a huge addition. And statistically, aside from last year, they have done well.

Every Charger was absolutely dreadful last year, save Denario Alexander, so trying to rank/think of them based off last year would not being doing any of them justice.

I kind of disagree with a lot of this.

WRs don't all suck. They can't stay healthy, but they are a really solid group. Vincent Brown has a TON of upside, as does Allen. Floyd, you know what you are getting, but not a bad bench WR at all.

I think Mathews will be in a better position than a time share. He's just yielding third downs, for now. Danny Woodhead is also injured. The Irony.. And he's had a really good pre season.

The D/ST is really really good. They have, IMHO, the best punter in the league (Making for long fields for opponent offenses). Good Returner. Good players at Dline, LB and CB/S. I think Cox was a huge addition. And statistically, aside from last year, they have done well.

Every Charger was absolutely dreadful last year, save Denario Alexander, so trying to rank/think of them based off last year would not being doing any of them justice.

Eh, Vincent Brown does have a lot of upside, but he's hardly played in his first few seasons. Floyd is a decent #2, but a terrible #1, and Allen hasn't impressed much so far. The last game against the Bears, Rivers through something like 7 passes to the TE, one to the RB, and only one to WR. For fantasy purposes, it's a pretty week group. I'd take a flier on Brown in the late rounds, I guess....

I don't know how you can possibly think this defense is good. Bolts are solid up the middle on the DL, and Butler is good, but where is the pass rush going to come from? Freeney? I'd be shocked if he played half the games, and even healthy he's a shell of his former self. They are planning on Manti fucking Teo to be a starter. Again....for fantasy purposes, there is absolutely no reason to go anywhere near this unit.

Lol you don't say??

I think 3800/700 is more realistic, but I would still take that in a heartbeat....

There is no way that Kaep throws for 4000 yards in that offense. He could definitely rush for 700, but I will be surprised if he throws for over 3500 to be honest. Boldin, Davis....then who? They are going to keep it on the ground. 1100+ yards for Gore, 500+ yards for Kaep, 400+ yards for Hunter, 400+ yards for James. SF is just going to bully people on the ground and pass enough to keep them honest. Last year the 49ers ran for about 2500 yards. I think they will run for at least 2700, and might get close to 3000 this year. If Lattimore comes back at any point that is just icing on the cake. By far the best ground attack in the NFL.

There is no way that Kaep throws for 4000 yards in that offense. He could definitely rush for 700, but I will be surprised if he throws for over 3500 to be honest. Boldin, Davis....then who? They are going to keep it on the ground. 1100+ yards for Gore, 500+ yards for Kaep, 400+ yards for Hunter, 400+ yards for James. SF is just going to bully people on the ground and pass enough to keep them honest. Last year the 49ers ran for about 2500 yards. I think they will run for at least 2700, and might get close to 3000 this year. If Lattimore comes back at any point that is just icing on the cake. By far the best ground attack in the NFL.

I'm really curious about Lattimore. I would like to see the kid make a full recovery, and crush it.....he deserves it....but that is one crowded backfield.

Eh, Vincent Brown does have a lot of upside, but he's hardly played in his first few seasons. Floyd is a decent #2, but a terrible #1, and Allen hasn't impressed much so far. The last game against the Bears, Rivers through something like 7 passes to the TE, one to the RB, and only one to WR. For fantasy purposes, it's a pretty week group. I'd take a flier on Brown in the late rounds, I guess....

I don't know how you can possibly think this defense is good. Bolts are solid up the middle on the DL, and Butler is good, but where is the pass rush going to come from? Freeney? I'd be shocked if he played half the games, and even healthy he's a shell of his former self. They are planning on Manti fucking Teo to be a starter. Again....for fantasy purposes, there is absolutely no reason to go anywhere near this unit.

I suppose you are right. Its been 2 years since they were #1 defense in yards allowed. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/year/2010

I'm still a homer. And some people are hyping St. Louis Rams, etc. I don't think I ever said take Chargers as a top 5 D, but still some upside there with the players they have. Part of the problem last 2 years has been the offense/Special Teams (Blocked punts for TDs) etc. I just anticipate with a better offense (More sustained drives), Better Special teams (No blocked punts for TDs), and the players they have, they could put together a solid year like they did in 2010. A lot of the same core still on the team (DOnald Butler, Eric Weddle).

I think the biggest problem last year was Cason and Jammer. Absolutely terrible in coverage. Both guys gone, and Patrick Cox has had a good pre-season. I guess I wouldn't draft them. But I'd definitely look at them for a Bye Week filler if the matchup is good (Oakland or KC), and keep an eye on them if you are not willing to draft a Top 5 D.

Yeah I agree with that.

Also agree that Mathews is being overlooked. I really like Wizenhunt at OC. If they can figure out LT, I think both Rivers and Mathews do better than their rankings. Like I said earlier, Mathews is ~32 on CBS "expert" fantasy rankings. That's absurd, and if he falls I would definitely grab him and hope he stays healthy....if healthy all year, he could really surprise.

Also, who's the guy who took over TE2 from mcmichael?? I'd keep an eye on him as well...

Yeah I agree with that.

Also agree that Mathews is being overlooked. I really like Wizenhunt at OC. If they can figure out LT, I think both Rivers and Mathews do better than their rankings. Like I said earlier, Mathews is ~32 on CBS "expert" fantasy rankings. That's absurd, and if he falls I would definitely grab him and hope he stays healthy....if healthy all year, he could really surprise.

Also, who's the guy who took over TE2 from mcmichael?? I'd keep an eye on him as well...

I think John Phillips is technically TE2. From Dallas. Had 8 catches last year, and I think for fantasy purposes, Ladarius Green might have more upside.

Last edited:
Ravens

RBs: Rice might be a little overrated as a top 5-6 pick because I see Pierce getting more carries this year. Pierce is really good. I see Rice getting 1100 rushing yards and Pierce around 800.

QBs: Flacco is fine as a fantasy #2 but historically has been been wildly inconsistent. I believe much of his inconsistency was due to Cam Cameron and not a consistent OL. No way the Ravens win the SB last year had they not fired Cameron. Flacco throws a great ball but is immobile and doesn't sense pressure. Losing Boldin hurt, but losing Pitta really hurts. Those were his 3rd down go to guys. I'd value him in the mid teens as a fantasy QB but higher as a real life QB.

TE: Dickson is worth a last round or 2 steal as a #2 TE with Pitta out. Having a good camp too. Prolly good for 700 yards.

WRs: Torrey Smith may see a lot of double coverage this year. He's having a good camp, but the other WRs need to step up to make defenses respect them to free him up. Jones isn't an every down WR given his return duties but is a great returner. The wild card who could really surprise and put up decent #s is Deonte Thompson, a 2nd year UDFA - fastest guy on the roster and is having a good camp.

K: I see us kicking a lot of FGs because we lost our 2 best red zone targets. Lots of long TDs and 30-40 yard FGs this year. And Tucker is almost automatic inside of the mid-50s. Should be 1 of the best fantasy kickers.

D: Last year with Sizzle out, I knew to stay away from our D, and we used to be a top 5 fantasy D most years. But this year I'm high on the D once again. Sizzle and Dumerville are in great shape and look great in camp. And they beefed up the DL with Canty, Spears and a rookie NT. DC Dean Pees did a great job last year keeping this unit together despite the missing pieces. This year look for more blitzing, which should result in more TOs and sacks. Definitely the most underrated aspect of the team in the expert fantasy projections. Most rate them in the 10-15 range, whereas I think they'll be at least top-10 if not top-5.

I dated the sister of the tight end that the ravens called up from Maryland after Dickson and Pitta went down...Matt Furstenburg. His sister was hot but didn't put out, so I would not recommend picking him up.

Furstenburg could stick. I'm rooting for him over Shiancoe - Shiancoe is done. But no, no one is picking up Furstenburg b/c he's the 3rd or 4th TE, regardless of who his sister is.

Browns.

Draft Jordan Cameron and no one else. No, not even Trent Richardson. It's not his fault, either.

Speaking of Alabama running backs - any thoughts on Eddie Lacy? Part of me sees Ryan Grant, circa 2009. The other part of me sees Mark Ingram, circa New Orleans Saints.

Kaepernick is going to bust this year. He is either going to get injured or just waaayyy underperform your expectations.

Browns.

Draft Jordan Cameron and no one else. No, not even Trent Richardson. It's not his fault, either.

Speaking of Alabama running backs - any thoughts on Eddie Lacy? Part of me sees Ryan Grant, circa 2009. The other part of me sees Mark Ingram, circa New Orleans Saints.

Yeah, Cameron is my late sleeper at TE. But why not Richardson? I think their offense will be improved, and Cameron and Richardson will be the primary beneficiaries from a fantasy perspective, Gordon and Little less so.

I think Lacy is undervalued a bit as a 4th round projection. Looks like he's their #1 guy.

Browns.

I don't like Lacy as much as I like LeVeon Bell (If he's healthy) and I hate to say it, Giovani Bernard. Bell should get most of the carries for a ground and pound team. Roethlisberger lost the deep threat in wallace, but sitll have Wheaton, Brown to keep teams honest. GIovani has had a great camp. I think both those guys have overall better seasons than Lacy. However, Lacy should be fine. I do like Lacy better than Montee Ball, who is stuck in a lineup with 2 other really solid options and Fox doesn't like rookie RBs.

Yeah, Cameron is my late sleeper at TE. But why not Richardson? I think their offense will be improved, and Cameron and Richardson will be the primary beneficiaries from a fantasy perspective, Gordon and Little less so.

I think Lacy is undervalued a bit as a 4th round projection. Looks like he's their #1 guy.

i have been passing on Richardson because he has too many injuries. Not his fault, he is just given the ball too much. He'll probably be questionable 8 weeks and miss 2, I don't want to deal with that in 1st round.

I don't like Lacy as much as I like LeVeon Bell (If he's healthy) and I hate to say it, Giovani Bernard. Bell should get most of the carries for a ground and pound team. Roethlisberger lost the deep threat in wallace, but sitll have Wheaton, Brown to keep teams honest. GIovani has had a great camp. I think both those guys have overall better seasons than Lacy. However, Lacy should be fine. I do like Lacy better than Montee Ball, who is stuck in a lineup with 2 other really solid options and Fox doesn't like rookie RBs.
The Steelers are not a "ground and pound" team. Their offensive line is horrific, they have a new OC who loves to throw (Todd Haley), and Bell has a foot injury and is probably out for multiple weeks (if not longer). Would stay far away from any Steelers' RB, personally.

I'm really curious about Lattimore. I would like to see the kid make a full recovery, and crush it.....he deserves it....but that is one crowded backfield.

No chance Lattimore plays this year. He will split time with Gore in '14 and hopefully be ready to take the reigns when Gore's contract ends after '14.

Back