• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast Car

If Mark Zuckerberg put a poll on the Facebook login that asked “Who is America’s Team: The Dallas Cowboys, or the New York Yankees” - millions of people would vote in the poll, despite it having absolutely no purpose or consequence. There would be thousands of people who would vote in the poll even if they didn’t like either team, and most people probably wouldn’t vote because they didn’t care, or didn’t like either team. No matter what the motivation was for voting or not voting, the poll would serve no purpose.

They’re voting to save America from them librul elites whut want to tell them how to live, take their tax money and give it away to undeserving people (of color), keep the southern border WIDE open, kill babies, and let people marry goats and such nonsense.

Never surprised with the nuance and understanding that liberals use to describe Democratic political constituencies, to excuse away their cowardly pandering crony conservatism, and then, in remarkable contrast, the complete lack of any nuance liberals use in describing Republican constituencies and political outcomes.
As an aside - when you were looking for work, did you ever connect with Down Home NC (for employment or just getting connected)? Seems to really align with your passions.

As an aside - when you were looking for work, did you ever connect with Down Home NC (for employment or just getting connected)? Seems to really align with your passions.
I looked at their website at the time you sent me the link and they didn’t have any job openings in my area unfortunately. I think I did apply for a coordinator(?) position with CWS but they never responded to me.

I know Reagan, Franken, Ventura, Schwarzenegger what other actors we have?
THE BIG RED MACHINE, KANE!

Glenn Jacobs, who wrestling fans will know better as Kane, won two-thirds of the vote in Knox County, beating Democrat Linda Haney.
The 51-year-old Republican ran on issues like keeping taxes low, improved infrastructure and "transparency".
He is the second WWE star to win public office in the US, following in Jesse Ventura's footsteps.

Corey from Boy Meets World has talked about running for Adam Schiff's seat if he runs for senate

If Mark Zuckerberg put a poll on the Facebook login that asked “Who is America’s Team: The Dallas Cowboys, or the New York Yankees” - millions of people would vote in the poll, despite it having absolutely no purpose or consequence. There would be thousands of people who would vote in the poll even if they didn’t like either team, and most people probably wouldn’t vote because they didn’t care, or didn’t like either team. No matter what the motivation was for voting or not voting, the poll would serve no purpose.
I think I am generally on your side of this argument, but the analogy above doesn't work. When people vote in an election, there is at least some nod to the consequences of it. People wouldn't go through the hassle of registering and then going to vote if they didn't. And thus they put some thought into the vote.

I think I am generally on your side of this argument, but the analogy above doesn't work. When people vote in an election, there is at least some nod to the consequences of it. People wouldn't go through the hassle of registering and then going to vote if they didn't. And thus they put some thought into the vote.
I disagree. Just because people are motivated to participate, doesn’t mean their motivations are based on “consequences” in that context that you and I are describing. apolitical people, or unengaged less serious people, can participate in a political process for non-political reasons. There’s no value or purpose in attempting to ascribe motivation to all of them.

Hell, I would bet the majority of people on this thread vote for a couple candidates straight ticket style in every election - candidates whom we know nothing about, purely based on what party they are in, even if we are completely unaware of how party affiliation might be related to that role. It’s teamsmanship.

When I worked on a campaign for a congressman’s second term run (happened to declare Blue Dog Dem bc it was an Obama election year, but still voted 60% pub), it was infuriating how many people I talked to who would go on anti-dem rants before I essentially had to tell them “just remember, Bright is running as a Democrat.” I never talked to a single person that didn’t like him, and almost always heard “oh, love Bobby. Great man.” Bright lost by < 1% to a tea party psycho who is still in the House.

Last edited:
I think there’s serious dismissing of people not knowing what they are voting for that are actively engaged by election propaganda. Like remember the difference in polling between ACA and then rephrased as Obamacare. Whenever you think people are dumb, they are worse.

Yep

Politically engaged or motivated =/= politically astute or well-informed.

Whenever you think people are dumb, they are worse.
absolutely, but Hanlon’s razor definitely applies to voters IMO. No matter how many hundreds or thousands of people you see at a political rally or riot, you have to remember there are 1000x more people at work or sitting at home, completely unaware or apathetic to whatever is going on.

Last edited:
When I worked on a campaign for a congressman’s second term run (happened to declare Blue Dog Dem bc it was an Obama election year, but still voted 60% pub), it was infuriating how many people I talked to who would go on anti-dem rants before I essentially had to tell them “just remember, Bright is running as a Democrat.” I never talked to a single person that didn’t like him, and almost always heard “oh, love Bobby. Great man.” Bright lost by < 1% to a tea party psycho who is still in the House.
Are you talking about Roby vs Bright in '10?

Small-town and rural working-class whites love to bitch frequently about how unworthy poors are all living it up on welfare programs like food stamps that they pay for with their taxes while they struggle more and more to pay their bills because they're just good, hard-working Real Americans who aren't lazy, won't live off welfare, and so the ungrateful government takes more and more of their money for welfare programs that don't benefit them. Many of them seem to really believe that people on welfare live better than they do, and you can sense the resentment. It's a common complaint that I've heard since I was a kid.
I grew up in and still live part-time in a NC small town that is about 95% white. Mostly hillbillies and blue collar workers and a few rich families. The people on welfare in that area are rural whites. Mostly single women with a few kids and multiple baby daddies who watch Fox News all day.

Ph, we have been having this same argument for years and I still don’t understand why you refuse to acknowledge any distinctions between rural white Americans. I’ve shown you plenty of statistical data on voter participation broken out by economic class, but you still insist on characterizing all rural whites as politically engaged malevolent racists, who are all so motivated by racism and hate they are hopelessly out of reach. It’s bullshit, and just an excuse for your politics to dismiss those people.
You’ve been posting here for over a decade and fail to understand the undepheated.

Back