• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast Car

If Mark Zuckerberg put a poll on the Facebook login that asked “Who is America’s Team: The Dallas Cowboys, or the New York Yankees” - millions of people would vote in the poll, despite it having absolutely no purpose or consequence. There would be thousands of people who would vote in the poll even if they didn’t like either team, and most people probably wouldn’t vote because they didn’t care, or didn’t like either team. No matter what the motivation was for voting or not voting, the poll would serve no purpose.
Yea because fuck the cowboys.

Fear is what motivates people to vote for Trump. They are afraid of change, afraid of losing the country that they once loved (even though it only really existed in their perceptions and not reality), afraid of others i.e. people who are different than them, different race, different sexual or gender orientation, afraid of losing their illusion of control.

really wish you all would expend an ounce of effort not summarizing the motivations or character of entire regions and subgroups of people based on the binary choices of voters. It’s really not that difficult to understand. The percentage of people you all spend so much time talking about, voters who are politically active and ideologically aware, is relatively small. Very many people don’t vote because they can’t or don’t feel the need to vote, and many people who do vote don’t know Jack shit about policy and are just following social pressure from their family, peers, and community. To much of America this is all just cultural sports.
this was a week ago, but this last sentence really rings true. politicians won't say what they really believe, lest they lose the popularity contest. trump and his idiot friends treated an election like it was just a spectacle and it was really no big deal that they tried to overturn the election and now just shrug about it.

I don't get where the controversy is. Combs is a fan of Chapman and the song and Chapman is ok with the cover.
Agreed. Although I like the original better, his song has brought attention to Tracy Chapman and her song. It has brought conversation between me and my 12 year old daughter because she loves the Luke Combs version and had no idea the original even exisisted until I played it for her. As long as Tracy Champman gets her royalties and recognition from the remake, I don't see a problem with it.

yeah, i don't really get the luke combs version

it's not enough of a departure from the original to justify its vocal/musical inferiority

commercially successful, but artistically meaningly -- i guess the former is the whole point, but yeesh

yeah, i don't really get the luke combs version

it's not enough of a departure from the original to justify its vocal/musical inferiority

commercially successful, but artistically meaningly -- i guess the former is the whole point, but yeesh
i mean he put it on his album because it was one of the first songs that was meaningful to him, not sure there is much more to it than that.

I think I posted on this thread earlier that I was never a huge fan of the original version of this song, I like Luke Combs' version better. But I really enjoyed the performance last night and honestly turned on the Grammies just to see it as I had heard they were playing together.

But my bigger issue with the Grammies last night is that apparently there is a current performer named SZA, who somehow bears no relation to RZA, the GZA, or Wu-Tang at all. They said SZA was about to perform, so I assumed we were all returning to the 36 chambers, but alas. She was awful. Huge disappointment and a more blatant ripoff than Fast Car.

that's fine

but as a listener, why would you ever choose his version??
no idea. but his target audience and Tracy Chapman's are probably pretty different. So young dudes listening to Luke Combs get exposed to an absolute classic and may learn about Tracy Chapman. Nothing but goodness in that IMO, especially after last night.

And some of those folks may like Luke Combs version better...which is great as well.

Been a revival of sorts for Chapman…?

So that’s good...?

I still have her CD from way back.

Fastcar_tchapman.jpg

Back