• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast Car

I don't get where the controversy is. Combs is a fan of Chapman and the song and Chapman is ok with the cover.

This is all I’ve heard about it.

My mind immediately goes to Sometimes I Rhyme Slow whenever I hear it. I’m surprised it hasn’t been sampled more than it has. Only 24 samples according to WhoSampled. But there have been 53 covers.

Last edited:
the original is great. rich white guy covering it is dumb but so are songs where springsteen pretends he is blue collar

Can this thread be about whether or not Chapman's Live Aid performance is one of the 10 greatest musical performances of the 20th century? Maybe top 5.
Actually Tracy Chapman didn't perform at Live Aid. She was still in college at the time. You are probably referring to her performance at the Nelson Mandela 70th birthday celebration in which Stevie Wonder had technical issues and Chapman hurried onto the stage under immense pressure to fill Stevie's time even though she had already performed her set. It was at this time that she introduced Fast Car to the world and it is considered one of the best live solo acoustic performances ever.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s really a controversy per se. I think there is some discussion about whether he can relate to the source material and if who the artist is impacts their meaning of the song. And there is a larger cultural discussion noting that a Black, queer woman wouldn’t hit #1 on the country charts, but her song can when sung by a white dude. Nothing I’m reading says he’s a bad dude.
Remember that time Dolly Parton wrote Islands in the Stream and I Will Always Love You in the same day?
false. Jolene and I will Always love you. Dolly didn’t even write Islands.

Nice, I know it's trashy AF but I love Pidgeon Forge/Dollywood/Gatlinburg

Stayed a night up there last year for a buddies wedding that was nearby. Brought back major memories.

I don't really know Luke Combs' music all that well, but I think it is idiotic for a rich white guy to cover a song that is all about the hard choices and compromises that poverty forces women to make. I mean I hope Tracy Chapman makes a pile of money from this, but c'mon dude, show a tiny bit of self awareness.

I read an interview with Combs that said that he used to listen to this song with his daddy in his truck and that it brought back great memories of the truck and I just wanted to scream THE SONG IS NOT ABOUT A CAR(or truck) , you idiot!!!

Stayed a night up there last year for a buddies wedding that was nearby. Brought back major memories.
Went there for a wedding several years ago. Stopped for lunch and saw something I have never seen before or since - a live band playing in a KFC.

I love it for pure nostalgia. I' haven't been since 2000ish, but I've probably been more than a dozen times. A trip to Dollywood was the reward for making honor roll in middle school (and band trips and just about any other "fun" trip). We used to quote all of the dialogue on the blazing fury as we went through.

RIP Ogle's Water Park

"In 2021, Forbes reported that "9 to 5" and "Jolene" gross about $6 million to $8 million in royalties per year."

insane

Elvis wanted to cover a version of Jolene (presumably changing a few words around) and his reps reached out to Dolly - told her if he covered it, he wanted half the royalties forever. Dolly said no to the King and the rest is history.

Back