• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast Car

Nice, I know it's trashy AF but I love Pidgeon Forge/Dollywood/Gatlinburg

Stayed a night up there last year for a buddies wedding that was nearby. Brought back major memories.
It is Myrtle Beach in the mountains. Did you get you some beef jerky?

Supposed to be arguing about something here.

thumb_what-we-lhave-here-s-atailureto-communicate-failure-to-communicate-54102365.png

What do you think of the new Charles Wesley Godwin?
Haven't heard him, but it looks like he is folk country /Americana, so I might like him. I do love some Sturgill, Childers, Strings, Marcus King, etc., so if he is in that realm I'd probably dig him.

This Fast Car remake is pretty dumb. It's basically the same song, just with a guy singing it with a country accent.

The original was alway a great song. It just took a white guy singing it to make it palatable to mainstream boring white people. This says way more about regular ol' white Americans than it does about Luke Combs.

Edited to add that the song comes right before the classic "Tattoo on a Sunburn" original work by Luke Combs on the album. More country bullshit.

I always wonder what's more harmful to new folks getting into country: the genre itself or the old guard of country music shitting all over "new country" calling it absolute garbage all the time and talking about the good old days. As someone who doesn't really care about country at all, the latter seems to pop up all over my social media and makes me just want to avoid it even more.

I always wonder what's more harmful to new folks getting into country: the genre itself or the old guard of country music shitting all over "new country" calling it absolute garbage all the time and talking about the good old days. As someone who doesn't really care about country at all, the latter seems to pop up all over my social media and makes me just want to avoid it even more.
That's every genre of music though, there are those that say the mainstream or pop stuff isn't real, as it's been corrupted by the record companies.

The rise of pop country has coincided with the rise of the modern GOP, SEC football, Fox News, and mega churches. There's a direct correlation.

This Fast Car remake is pretty dumb. It's basically the same song, just with a guy singing it with a country accent.

The original was alway a great song. It just took a white guy singing it to make it palatable to mainstream boring white people. This says way more about regular ol' white Americans than it does about Luke Combs.

Edited to add that the song comes right before the classic "Tattoo on a Sunburn" original work by Luke Combs on the album. More country bullshit.
To be fair, a lot of those mainstream boring white people weren't even born when the original came out. I'm sure some of them discovered the original and like it more.

What gets me is that it's been covered over 50 times, but this is the only one I've heard about getting this type of attention.

Last edited:
Also lost in all this is the fact that Luke Combs is actually a pretty good dude and his political ideologies line up a lot more with the tunnels than your typical mainstream country musician.

The rise of pop country has coincided with the rise of the modern GOP, SEC football, Fox News, and mega churches. There's a direct correlation.
I mean I guess. I'd say these are just all aspects of more rural living at large.

Also I just listened to and watched the video for "Try that in a Small Town" for the first time. Holy shit. Just more country bullshit.

The problem with modern country is that it's just a bunch of tropes or cliches and the artists just play to it. You've got: Jesus, God, Bible, football, he/she done me wrong, he/she done me right, American flag, Daddy/Momma, truck, whiskey, beer. Every song is some derivative or combination of those. I can't say that about alternative music for example. Nor can I say it about older country. And if you listen to older country, the music is way more complex and doesn't stick to these tropes.

Last edited:
Why don't we just let people like things they like? In this case, Combs got the agreement of Chapman to do the cover, and they both got paid handsomely. Sounds like a win/win.

If you don't like the cover, don't listen to it. If you do, then listen to it.

Artists cover and sing songs all the time that they don't "relate" to in the original sense of why the song was written - I'm not sure why this one is the one that pops up, other than the fact people love to talk about how much they hate country music. I don't go around talking non-stop about how much I hate or don't listen to death metal scream music because I just don't care. I don't want to listen to it, so I don't.

Live and let live.

Also lost in all this is the fact that Luke Combs is actually a pretty good dude and his political ideologies line up a lot more with the tunnels than your typical mainstream country musician.

Based on some of his comments in the sports boards that I've read, WFU22Fan fits this as well. He hates Trump almost as much as he hates Codi Miller Mcintyre.

Also I just listened to and watched the video for "Try that in a Small Town" for the first time. Holy shit. Just more country bullshit.

The problem with modern country is that it's just a bunch of tropes or cliches and the artists just play to it. You've got: Jesus, God, Bible, football, he/she done me wrong, he/she done me right, American flag, Daddy/Momma, truck. Every song is some derivative or combination of those. I can't say that about alternative music for example. Nor can I say it about older country. And if you listen to older country, the music is way more complex and doesn't stick to these tropes.

Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got run over by a damned old train

Back