• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast Car

To be fair, a lot of those mainstream boring white people weren't even born when the original came out. I'm sure some of them discovered the original and like it more.

What gets me is that it's been covered over 50 times, but this is the only one I've heard about getign thois type of attention.

Her song and album were pretty popular with an awful lot of boring white people when it came out. It was and is good stuff.

there's always a bias when talking about older music because only the good older music is still listened to. Right now you can hear 100% of the music released in 2023 but we only listen to like the best 1-3% of the music released from 1950-1990 or whatever.

lol was just about to bring this up.

those tropes and cliches have been around for a looooooong time
Now, David Allen Coe has some songs that warrant some outrage but I’d recommend not googling them.

Well life on the farm is kinda laid back
Ain't much an old country boy like me can't hack
It's early to rise, early in the sack
I thank God I'm a country boy
Well a simple kinda life never did me no harm
A raisin' me a family and workin' on the farm
My days are all filled with an easy country charm
Thank God I'm a country boy
Well I got me a fine wife I got me an ol' fiddle
When the sun's comin' up I got cakes on the griddle
And life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle

Well life on the farm is kinda laid back
Ain't much an old country boy like me can't hack
It's early to rise, early in the sack
I thank God I'm a country boy
Well a simple kinda life never did me no harm
A raisin' me a family and workin' on the farm
My days are all filled with an easy country charm
Well I got me a fine wife I got me an ol' fiddle
When the sun's comin' up I got cakes on the griddle
And life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle
Okay. No one is going to confuse John Denver with modern bro/pop country. Yes, country music often involves farm/rural themes. No one is contesting that. But that song is nothing like what constitues bro/pop country. It's basically bluegrass.

Biebs played Fast Car when I saw him in concert several years back and he kinda crushed it.

Okay. No one is going to confuse John Denver with modern bro/pop country. Yes, country music often involves farm/rural themes. No one is contesting that. But that song is nothing like what constitues bro/pop country. It's basically bluegrass.
I mean I didn't say people are going to confuse John Denver with "pop country" I was responding to your commentary that there is somehow something new about the cliches and tropes used today by the bro country nation. It's the same tropes/cliches that have always been used: singing about everyday aspects of rural/Southern/Midwest life. The difference is that you like the older stuff and not the newer stuff which is totally fine obviously. But to say that the major distinguishing factor is the content rather than the style of music or the integration of more just "classic mainstream" pop into the songs doesn't seem to me to be the best argument.

Why don't we just let people like things they like? In this case, Combs got the agreement of Chapman to do the cover, and they both got paid handsomely. Sounds like a win/win.

If you don't like the cover, don't listen to it. If you do, then listen to it.

Artists cover and sing songs all the time that they don't "relate" to in the original sense of why the song was written - I'm not sure why this one is the one that pops up, other than the fact people love to talk about how much they hate country music. I don't go around talking non-stop about how much I hate or don't listen to death metal scream music because I just don't care. I don't want to listen to it, so I don't.

Live and let live.
What an interesting thought.

I mean I didn't say people are going to confuse John Denver with "pop country" I was responding to your commentary that there is somehow something new about the cliches and tropes used today by the bro country nation. It's the same tropes/cliches that have always been used: singing about everyday aspects of rural/Southern/Midwest life. The difference is that you like the older stuff and not the newer stuff which is totally fine obviously. But to say that the major distinguishing factor is the content rather than the style of music or the integration of more just "classic mainstream" pop into the songs doesn't seem to me to be the best argument.
No. You can hear a bro/pop country song and immediately identify it. And it's significantly different than John Denver tunes. Country music certainly involved some themes but modern country doesn't vary much from the themes or patterns.

You've already said you're not an expert in country music. Do you really think finding one or two songs that involve themes I mentioned is going to prove a larger point that bro/pop country isn't different than older country?

I never said it isn't different, I said you're nuts for thinking old school country doesn't rely on the same tropes/cliches modern country is. You just like the old school country more so you're overlooking that aspect

I always wonder what's more harmful to new folks getting into country: the genre itself or the old guard of country music shitting all over "new country" calling it absolute garbage all the time and talking about the good old days. As someone who doesn't really care about country at all, the latter seems to pop up all over my social media and makes me just want to avoid it even more.
Country Music is one of those things that at the same time it has never been worse, it has also never been better.

So much great music being made by non/Nashville record artists.

Last edited:
I never said it isn't different, I said you're nuts for thinking old school country doesn't rely on the same tropes/cliches modern country is. You just like the old school country more so you're overlooking that aspect
Go ask actual musicians whether modern pop country is the same as traditional country.

Back