• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast Car

there's always a bias when talking about older music because only the good older music is still listened to. Right now you can hear 100% of the music released in 2023 but we only listen to like the best 1-3% of the music released from 1950-1990 or whatever.
Maybe. I would argue that the older music that has remained popular was largely due to a shit load of record company and corporate gatekeeping and bribery (payola is the term I think?). The average person today has access to probably 1000% more music than a person in 1970, simply due to the internet democratizing music production and distribution.

To be fair, a lot of those mainstream boring white people weren't even born when the original came out. I'm sure some of them discovered the original and like it more.

What gets me is that it's been covered over 50 times, but this is the only one I've heard about getting this type of attention.
Maybe because this cover is country and rose to #1 on the charts?

Based on some of his comments in the sports boards that I've read, WFU22Fan fits this as well. He hates Trump almost as much as he hates Codi Miller Mcintyre.
Disliked CMM’s shooting but definitely hate everything about Trump. He’s a traitor who will be in prison within the next 16 months.

I think I saw where "Try That In a Small Town" made it to #1 now.

Last edited:
That's great. Almost, Bluegrass. If you like that, check out a band called The Ghost of Paul Revere. A bluegrass/country band from get this . . . the Northeast.
They'd been around for a while and recently decided to stop.

My guy, I, a scion of Boston, and the grandson of a Mainer, love the Ghost of Paul Revere. The Ballad of the 20th Maine is on my Townie top 100 song list.

I'm seeing the Rich men north of Richmond song everywhere now. I really like it except for the verse about fat people on welfare eating fudge rounds- everything else about that song is smart and well thought out and then bam some MAGA bullshit.

Full lyrics:

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day
Overtime hours for bullshit pay
So I can sit out here and waste my life away
Drag back home and drown my troubles away

Alright...fine start...pay sucks gotta get home and drink up classic fare!

It's a damn shame what the world's gotten to
For people like me and people like you
Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
But it is, oh, it is

"things used to be so much better...." okay veering slightly into something...

Livin' in the new world
With an old soul
These rich men north of Richmond, Lord knows they all
Just wanna have total control
Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do
And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
'Cause your dollar ain't shit and it's taxed to no end
'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

Tax complaints !

I wish politicians would look out for miners
And not just minors on an island somewhere
Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat
And the obese milkin' welfare

I'm not sure what the "minors on an island" is referencing at all beyond potential Epstein implications but that may be reading too far into it. Just US foreign aid in general, look domestic instead? Okay...sure. And then bam "people are starving but fatties are abusing the welfare system." Wild leap.

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
Young men are puttin' themselves six feet in the ground
'Cause all this damn country does is keep on kickin' them down

One of the worst verses I ever recall in a song. Truly stupid and doesn't make any coherent point whatsoever.

Overall...pretty clear cut far right angle with some dog whistles worst case. Best case, a white guy whining about how the world is so hard these days and it used to be so good - fat people ruined it for everybody.

I'd give it a 1.2/10

Self-awareness has never been the rubes strength

“I wish politicians would look out for miners
And not just minors on an island somewhere
Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat
And the obese milkin' welfare

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
Young men are puttin' themselves six feet in the ground
'Cause all this damn country does is keep on kickin' them down”

Probably talking about (one of) the Wawa in Fredericksburg.

Back