• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Bz Ad in Gboro N&R, Day 4 = HEADSHOT

Haha that's so ridiculous, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree... you can't look me in the eye and tell me that any school would not feel like it deserves a better coach than Jeff [Redacted]. For you to jump to "bratty spoiled entitled fancy pants... blah blah... silver platter." from the word "deserves" is just a littleeeee bit of an overreaction - in my opinion of course.

and I don't even get the point about his "peers" - who are his peers, the other ADs in the conference? You think by putting the word deserves, he gains back all the credibility of this disgustingly piss poor hire.

There's really no point in arguing which school deserves a certain coach over another, etc. It has nothing to do with that. It simply doesn't sound good and can feed preconceived stereotypes, as misplaced as they may be. Why would you choose to invite that criticism when you don't have to.

I posted this already. But "Wake can do better", for example, is better. Its all about how it sounds. "can do" or something like it, has a positive connotation. "Deserves" is playing the victim card. And nobody likes the guy who plays the victim card.

This is an effective way of avoiding "deserves", I think. And we CAN do better. Can't argue that.

He is wrong about the players taking the vitriol

The vitriol isn't meant for them but who knows how impressionable 18-22 year olds take it. We can spout all the Bz stats we want, but those are on CJ's head as well.

I think "can do" is weak. I don't think we should remove all sense of pride from the ad to appease a few naysayers.

There's really no point in arguing which school deserves a certain coach over another, etc. It has nothing to do with that. It simply doesn't sound good and can feed preconceived stereotypes, as misplaced as they may be. Why would you choose to invite that criticism when you don't have to.

Again, we'll agree to disagree. I think you are getting hung up on one word and overly sensitive about what others think of an average Wake Forest student/fan is. People are going to see four days of advertisements on a major newspaper at the ACC tournament, and you really think criticism is going to come from one word on the first day?

... and to me "Wake can do better" sounds childish and not as fiery as "deserves" - come on guys, we're running an advertisement calling for this guy to be fired from his professional job - the job that supports his family and children, puts food on his table (yes even though it's a lot of money). That's pretty bad if you ask me, and yes I'm still all for it - lose the sensitivity with what others "might think"...

... and you lose credibility by saying "Demand" doesn't sound much worse than "Deserves". Really?

Again, we'll agree to disagree. I think you are getting hung up on one word and overly sensitive about what others think of an average Wake Forest student/fan is. People are going to see four days of advertisements on a major newspaper at the ACC tournament, and you really think criticism is going to come from one word on the first day?

... and to me "Wake can do better" sounds childish and not as fiery as "deserves" - come on guys, we're running an advertisement calling for this guy to be fired from his professional job - the job that supports his family and children, puts food on his table (yes even though it's a lot of money). That's pretty bad if you ask me, and yes I'm still all for it - lose the sensitivity with what others "might think"...

I agree with this....no reason to pussyfoot

That makes little sense as "demands" sounds a lot more entitled than "deserves" to me.

I dont think its perfect. I'd probably go with "can do" over "demand." But demand has an actionable quality to it, if thats what your looking for. It alludes to standards that we hold ourselves to. Deserves really just sounds entitled.

As an outside observer/fan of another team who hangs out over here a lot I think you guys should stick with facts. The conference/road records are absolutely mind blowing, I knew it was awful but I had no idea it was that bad. .040%? holy shit.

it is not .040%.

it is .040

or 4%

it is terrrible but we have to be accurate. #BuzzOut

VT, you seem pretty opposed to us stating that we deserve a better coach in the ad, do you have a alternative besides "wake can do better"?

Alright. Opinions on using:

A- the six year road record stat 2-47 (.041)

or

B- the three year road record stat 1-24 (.040)?

This is a tough call.

I like the fact that the six year stat makes it less about Wake's players. The combined stats have been well received by the media thus far. Still think B is cleaner. I'm split 50/50 on this one.

For ACC Tournament Thursday, use Wake. Getting caught up in how the players feel is part of the reason we're in this mess. Let the new coach comfort the players.

or

This is a tough call.

I like the fact that the six year stat makes it less about Wake's players. The combined stats have been well received by the media thus far. Still think B is cleaner. I'm split 50/50 on this one.

Wake record. All the way.

or

This is a tough call.

B.

For ACC Tournament Thursday, use Wake. Getting caught up in how the players feel is part of the reason we're in this mess. Let the new coach comfort the players.

you know what helps players feel better? Winning.

Run it however. Just run it. The point is Buzzout, not demanding or deserving or whatever. Don't get lost in minutiae.

Just throwing in a last second suggestion, but if we want to shield the players, then I suppose you could just say "Wake [deserves] better than Jeff [Redacted]" rather than having two separate sentences. The firing part is implied, plus the FireBz link is in the bottom.

or

This is a tough call.

The road record is the ugliest stat & focuses on just his time at Wake. So B.

And donation in.

Back