• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Him

Yea I don't get that at all. Unless, ya know, petty trifles like defensive rotations, weakside help, rebounding assignments, clock management, substitution patterns, transition defense, and inbounds plays don't count as "x's and o's." Again, I still think a lot of our fans just assume he's good at "x's and o's" (whatever the hell that even means) simply because he's so fucking awful at the more public, communication-based aspects of the job.

Yea I don't get that at all. Unless, ya know, petty trifles like defensive rotations, weakside help, rebounding assignments, clock management, substitution patterns, transition defense, and inbounds plays don't count as "x's and o's." Again, I still think a lot of our fans just assume he's good at "x's and o's" (whatever the hell that even means) simply because he's so fucking awful at the more public, communication-based aspects of the job.

Or just because they've been told it over and over and over by the AD, announcers on ESPN 8 using AD taking points and Bz apologists.

Add standing around on offense, inability to draw up end-game set plays, misuse of timeouts, etc to your list as well.

Last edited:
Most times when I think Buzz made a poor coaching move I realize after some thought that it was actually the right decision and that my anti-Buzz mindset clouds my judgement. The 2-for-1 at the end of the game is a perfect example.

He's fine from an X's and O's perspective BUT he can't inspire his players at all and this is why he needs to go.

that sounds about right. i can't imagine bzz really is clueless about the sport. he's just clueless on how to coach it, especially to non-professionals.

This is a post that deserves further analysis. I completely understand the 2-for-1 red herring, but what about having our only real 3-pt threat inbounding the ball under similar circumstances against BC? What about the final play with GT that consisted of CJ getting the ball in (I think) the backcourt and driving to the rim facing 3-4 defenders and throwing a desperation pass to the corner? Is BZ really "fine from an X's and O's perspective?" At crunchtime, with all of Dino's faults, he had a knack for drawing up solid plays that got the right guys open looks. You could say, "Yeah, but he had Ish," to which I would say, "We have CJ." With a better coach, with all the promise CJ showed during his first season, imagine where he would be now. To me, that's the saddest part of Wellman's experiment.

I think that applies to all the players of the Buzz era, past and present. They are the ones who have been penalized the most. Apparently the student athletes are a very low priority for the Hatch administration at Wake Forest.

117 is where he sits.

I'm working on some tickets for 118 for Miami. FUN!

why isn't he in a box? does he regularly sit there? i can't imagine he does. that would seemingly open himself up to a barrage of scathing criticisms and uncomfortable questions, would it not?

Has anyone ever emailed a link to one of these threads to RW? When I read the despair of Wake fans, I always want RW to be reading the same.

Last time I sent him "my thoughts" -- about two weeks ago -- I got no reply. (I was not inappropriate -- just called it for what it is: a fiasco.)

that sounds about right. i can't imagine bzz really is clueless about the sport. he's just clueless on how to coach it, especially to non-professionals.

I'm sure he knows something about the sport. I think he's probably a good to great NBA scout. But that has little to do with teaching, game planning, sub patterns, designing plays, Xs and Os, recruiting, helping kids succeed in college, etc...i.e. he appears to be mostly clueless when it comes to actually coaching.

Last edited:
why isn't he in a box? does he regularly sit there? i can't imagine he does. that would seemingly open himself up to a barrage of scathing criticisms and uncomfortable questions, would it not?

Not at Wake Forest. We are too "classy" for actions like that.

wellman has had the same seats for like 12 years. On the Aisle right above the railing half way up the lower level. Sits with his wife and sometimes kids and grandkids.

haha, wow. i'm going to be in w-s for a couple weeks just before the regular season ends. If I go to a game, approach him in a WFU polo from the shop, and politely ask him if it's alright if I speak to him, what will happen do you all think? I'm not a student, alum, season holder, or a DC member--although i have at least three family members currently in one or more of those capacities.

i'm not going to lay into him, just ask a few thought provoking questions, if I can get his ear.

I really was not aware that he was predictably, physically, in one spot that was also accessible to someone with tickets. or is there a catch? i notice you dv7 said you were shooting for tix in 118..not 117.

wellman has had the same seats for like 12 years. On the Aisle right above the railing half way up the lower level. Sits with his wife and sometimes kids and grandkids.

so I guess he is gonna say somthing like: "well i'm with my family, but I always have time for WFU fans, so please email me, [me meaning my secretary so she can delete your letter without opening it; you know physical letters could give her a paper cut.]"

is that about right?

Last edited:
Well, the fans deserve better. This team is trying hard and should have at least won 3 or 4 more games this year. There were 10,500 at Joel Saturday, including me. All of us love our Deacs. If we could have won 17 or 18 games this year even, it's NIT stuff and an improvement, but CJ will be gone and then what will we do? At least Bz is not blaming the players as badly as he did during his first year--he should have been fired then for that---but really Bz does not belong here, we need to pay him what we owe him under the contract Wellman made and let him find where he does belong, but it's not here. It has never been here.

Well, the fans deserve better. This team is trying hard and should have at least won 3 or 4 more games this year. There were 10,500 at Joel Saturday, including me. All of us love our Deacs. If we could have won 17 or 18 games this year even, it's NIT stuff and an improvement, but CJ will be gone and then what will we do? At least Bz is not blaming the players as badly as he did during his first year--he should have been fired then for that---but really Bz does not belong here, we need to pay him what we owe him under the contract Wellman made and let him find where he does belong, but it's not here. It has never been here.

Yea, there weren't 10,500 on Saturday.

With the weak schedule we play, we'd need 20 or more wins to make the NIT.

Yall would be surprised how big of a difference bourbon makes. Who cares? He won't be gone till Wellman gets tired of feeling Bzz's cock up his ass.

Why does everyone keep saying this? I know Wellman has been a moron lately but I don't think he's really going to have a choice. There is a fine line between having a couple of bad seasons and being a complete embarrassment. With Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse joining it will only make it worse to keep a coach like [Redacted] around. I don't see him coming back.

Back