• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Charges Filed in Mueller Investigation

From what I’ve read, Meadows’ stunt was the only actual attempt to defend Trump. I don’t think Republicans asked legit questions to learn more either.

And agreed. AOC’s questions can lead to follow up requests and investigations. Calling Meadows a racist isn’t going to.

No but it is good to call out the Republicans on their bullshit. And from what I saw of the hearings, that is all they had to offer.

Disputing a tax value isn't tax fraud. And tax value and FMV isn't the same thing. I hate Trump but that's a reach.

Completely agree. Tliab going after Meadows was entertaining but also wholly unnecessary.

They needed to hammer down specifics. Basic facts aren’t going to change any minds but they could help investigations. Nobody was going to be swayed about Trump’s racial attitudes.

Seems like nobody asked Cohen about his time as RNC finance chair. That was a missed opportunity. Seems like neither side coordinates. They should be able to organize the questions in a way that weaves a cohesive story. Then save the last two or three rounds of questions for additional follow up.

Public hearings aren’t for furthering investigations. That’s what Tuesday’s and tomorrow’s closed hearings are for.

Classic GOP. The damage of the tweet is already done, it basically was “see all these things Trump is accused of, Cohen does too.” It embarrasses Cohen. It incites the base. The apology is worthless.

Ominous closing statement from Cohen.

I have acknowledged I have made my own mistakes and I have owned up to them publicly and under oath. But silence and complicity in the face of the daily destruction of our basic norms and civility to one another will not be one of them.

I did things and I acted improperly, at times at Mr. Trump’s behest. I blindly followed his demands. My loyalty to Mr. Trump has cost me everything, my family’s happiness, friendships, my law license, my company, my livelihood, my honor, my reputation and soon my freedom.

And I will not sit back, say nothing, and allow him to do the same to the country. Indeed given my experience working for Mr. Trump I fear that if he loses the election in 2020 that there will never be a peaceful transition of power, and this is why I agreed to appear before you today.

In closing, I’d like to say directly to the president: We honor our veterans even in the rain, you tell the truth even when it doesn’t aggrandize you, you respect the law and incredible law enforcement agents, you don’t villainize them, you don’t disparage generals, gold star families, prisoners of war and other heroes who had the courage to fight for this country. You don’t attack the media and those who question what you don’t like or what you don’t want them to say and you take responsibility for your own dirty deeds.

You don’t use your power of your bully pulpit to destroy the credibility of those who speak out against you. You don’t separate families from one another or demonize those looking to America for a better life. You don’t vilify people based on the god they pray to and you don’t cuddle up to our adversaries at the expense of our allies. Finally, you don’t shut down the government before Christmas and New Year’s just to simply appease your base.

This behavior denigrates the office of the president, and it’s simply un-American. And it’s not you.

So to those who support the president and his rhetoric as I once did, I pray the country doesn’t make the same mistakes that I have made or pay the heavy price that my family and I are paying, and I thank you very much for this additional time, Mr. Chairman.

Some basic hygiene would probably fix that. If not you might see your doctor for some antifungal cream.

Back