• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Day w/ the ACA... ClusterFuck

No, I am asking why it doesn't. Why would you implement a system designed to get people insurance, tell them to sign up for it, but not make the insurance able to be effective when they sign up but instead at an arbitraty future date? If I call up BCBS and tell them I want to buy a policy outside of this cluster, the policy goes into effect as soon as I pay them. What fucking idiot designed this?

Umm...that's the way open enrollments work.

If you work for a large corporation, you've likely just gone through, or are finishing up now, an open enrollment period for your benefits. For 2014. You say now what you want for next year. And start paying for next year's policies, well, next year. Generally.

...being herded into an exchange that provides some options that are functionally group policies, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:
How do you figure? By pulling the troops out? That schedule was in place by the time President Obama took office. I am talking about the mess that Iraq became in Bush's 2nd term. Make no mistake, the mess was the administration's fault (much like ACA is on the current administration) but it was "fixed" (use that term very lightly because I don't think it is fixed yet) before Bush left office. No way Obama pulls troops out if the situation was the same as it was pre surge.

But I guess this is an old and beat up topic.

well, i thought about typing a well thought out post about how Congress "fixing" health care legislation that was actually passed by Congress is completely different from Congress attempting to "fix" a war that is run by the Commander in Chief and thus not within the constitutional purview of Congress at all, but it was late, I was on my phone, and was 2 beers in. So I went with snark. Sue me.

...being herded into an exchange that provides some options that are functionally group policies, I'm pretty sure.

That's like saying individual auto policies are functionally group policies because the risk is spread across larger pools. They are still all individual policies not subject to individual rate adjustment because of the others in the pool. The rate is calculated on the individual, not the pool. And, as such, you don't have to wait for enrollment periods for auto (or any other type of insurance), as you shouldn't have to here, if the law matched the sales pitch.

One of the points of the law, I think, is to make the individual market more like the employer/employed health insurance market. Via grouping/exchanges and tax subsidies (instead of pre-tax, non-taxed benefits). The enrollment period for the exchanges seems to function much like (actually, understandably, more generously than for now) the enrollment period for employer-based plans.

The individual market has been much more difficult for customers to successfully navigate for years. Now the playing field will be more level/similar.

Not sure why anyone sees any of this as a problem.

It should be a problem for people without insurance looking for insurance under Obamacare for November and December of 2013. If none of those people exist, then what do we need Obamacare for?

If you imagine the individual market for health insurance has been adequately or justly (how's that for a buzzword) serving the needs of those who would be/have been in that market then you just don't know what's what.

The old have medicare, generally. It's the older but not on Medicare yet, and those with health problems, that have been particularly hard pressed to navigate the individual market. Until now. Insurance is about spreading and distributing risks, costs, and benefits. Yes, and for the latter from those not needing so much to those that do. Nothing new or shocking about this. Guess what, healthy youngster, you're going to get older or sick and be on the other side of the equation someday.

I have had BC BS for years individual plan through my work. It works the same way it has always worked. You have to enroll by early December to get coverage starting in January. The companies are not required to be ACA compliant until 1/1/14 and are not offering these plans until then.

A lot more than Obamacare does that. Cutting education funding while paying for tax breaks for businesses. Social security. AARP is a far more effective lobby than anything youth or young adults have.

Your first example is nonsense because you are pointing to separate programs and trying to link them together. And cutting education funding doesn't mean you won't be educated. So that one doesn't fly. Social security will be bankrupt when you go to collect on it - so yep. But that wasn't sold to people as a fraud. It has just been poorly managed.

Transferring goodies from the young to old can only be done in the same program?

It should be a problem for people without insurance looking for insurance under Obamacare for November and December of 2013. If none of those people exist, then what do we need Obamacare for?

Now you're in a rush to insure the uninsured? What about those who needed it last year? How about 10 years ago? It has to start sometime.

Back