• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Day w/ the ACA... ClusterFuck

No, but this is insurance, not football tickets. When I bought my health insurance, car insurance, homeowners insurance, boat insurance, umbrella insurance, business property insurance, malpractice insurance, and life insurance, they all started when I completed the paperwork and paid the premium.

Time has a lovely article on what this law really does - a transfer of goodies from the young to the old.

Wait - do people think this is bad? Or some sort of surprise?

Everyone's going to get old.

People. Even if you bought a policy in the exchange the payment is not due until sometime in December. The coverage is bound and it becomes effective January 1st.

Just an interesting tidbit. The exchange determined it wouldn't build out payment processing so it requires the carries to capture initital payment. In theory, not out of line but the implementation has been really tough. Consumers are redirected to the carriers site to pay. The issue is matching up the consumers redirect with the enrollment file (834) which comes over separately. A lot harder than it sound when their are data issues and a lack of testing.

Just an interesting tidbit. The exchange determined it wouldn't build out payment processing so it requires the carries to capture initital payment. In theory, not out of line but the implementation has been really tough. Consumers are redirected to the carriers site to pay. The issue is matching up the consumers redirect with the enrollment file (834) which comes over separately. A lot harder than it sound when their are data issues and a lack of testing.

The exchange in NC, or all state exchanges?

I thought states were opting out of the federal exchange.

Not sure I understand your ?. States that failed to pass (or chose to not pass) a state exchange, ended up with one of 2 types of the federal exchange, partnership or a federally run.

I know states that ended up with the 2 federal exchange models (over 30), have this payment redirect process.

Not sure I understand your ?. States that failed to pass (or chose to not pass) a state exchange, ended up with one of 2 types of the federal exchange, partnership or a federally run.

I know states that ended up with the 2 federal exchange models (over 30), have this payment redirect process.

So the states that didn't pass a state exchange law had a default setting to the federal exchange law?

So the states that didn't pass a state exchange law had a default setting to the federal exchange law?

Yes. As as required by the law. Smart move actually.

Wait - do people think this is bad? Or some sort of surprise?

Everyone's going to get old.

Obama's latest approval ratings seem to support that young people think it is bad. He has a 41% approval rating. Among voters 18-30 that rating is just 36%. Only Americans over 65 hold his approval in similar esteem.

Obama's latest approval ratings seem to support that young people think it is bad. He has a 41% approval rating. Among voters 18-30 that rating is just 36%. Only Americans over 65 hold his approval in similar esteem.

That is going to hurt his re-election campaign. Wonder if he can pull his numbers up before the election...

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/why-vance-mcallisters-win-matters

"When Republican Rodney Alexander resigned from Congress a few months ago, there wasn’t any real doubt that his Louisiana district would remain in GOP hands. The only question was which Republican would replace him in Louisiana’s ruby-red 5th district.

State Sen. Neil Riser (R) looked like he’d win easily – he received endorsements from Alexander, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, the NRA, and nearly all of Louisiana’s Republican congressional delegation. But then the votes were tallied in Saturday’s run-off election, and Vance McAllister (R), a first-time candidate, crushed Riser by nearly 20 points.

In terms of the national significance, there’s one key takeaway from the results.
While some thought the all-Republican runoff would be marked by each candidate running to the far right of every issue, McAllister took leave of the usual party line during a debate last week by coming out in support of optional Medicaid expansion offered under the Affordable Care Act.

McAllister said he disagreed with Gov. Bobby Jindal’s decision not to accept the expansion because of the economic make-up of the 5th District. […]

Riser blasted McAllister for the admission, issuing an ad stating “a vote for Vance McAllister is a vote for Obamacare.”
Exactly. A vote for McAllister was a vote for Obamacare, and in this extremely Republican district, McAllister won in a landslide against the Republican establishment’s hand-picked candidate."

President Obama is a very smart man....seems to be a nice guy and good father / family man. However, he is an absolute disaster as an administrator and leader.

President Obama is a very smart man....seems to be a nice guy and good father / family man. However, he is an absolute disaster as an administrator and leader.

That's shocking, given his extensive prior experience as a leader and manager. Oh wait

Back