• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fla. Sociology professor tweets Texans deserved Harvey for supporting Trump

BKF I'm still waiting for your response on the president maps thread about the consistency of the black vote (which you decry) compared to the consistency of the white evangelical vote. Thanks.

BKF I'm still waiting for your response on the president maps thread about the consistency of the black vote (which you decry) compared to the consistency of the white evangelical vote. Thanks.

Why would you want a response from bkf on any thread? Does he strike you as being honest in any way? Does his opinion actually matter to you?

He's a small mind in a small man in a small town.

Why would you want a response from bkf on any thread? Does he strike you as being honest in any way? Does his opinion actually matter to you?

He's a small mind in a small man in a small town.

And Small Town is one of the most annoying songs ever written.

Every other word is Small Town...It's worse than Rudy, noun, verb, 9/11.

They're a private company. They can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. What are you talking about?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. They can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. But conservatives still lost their shit about Google shutting down free speech

bkf, you say systemic racism is imaginary. How do you respond to this study that finds that employers are much more likely to grant an interview to people with white sounding names than people with black sounding names despite identical resumes? Specifically that a white name is equal to roughly 8 years of work experience in terms of getting callbacks.

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

Eh, they did their "study" in Boston and Chicago. I doubt anyone would question those as the two most racist cities in America. Are Boston and Chicago racist in general? Of course. Does that mean systemic racism exists everywhere, not really.

The liberal position is pretty clear. Violent hate speech shouldn't have free speech protection.

Conservatives complain that colleges aren't accepting controversial conservative speakers while rallying to get liberal professors fired for saying controversial things.

I hear you, and that is in fact the law in Germany. But that's clearly not the law here, although after Cville, that may start to change. My main point, though, was that we had a mob take over a city council meeting and threaten councilors because council had somehow allowed the white supremacists to come to Cville, and because council has yet to achieve the removal of the statues. IMO, you should never behave like this in a public meeting no matter the reason. Making matters worse, these folks had their facts completely wrong. Council had been told by counsel that they couldn't stop the rally. They then tried to move it to what they considered to be a safer location, and Judge Conrad enjoined them from doing so. In addition, a state judge has temporarily enjoined the city from moving the Lee statue. Are you suggesting, as many of our local residents seem to suggest, that the city should have disregarded both injunctions and prevented the rally and taken down the statues and then be in contempt of 2 courts?

These are two completely different issues. As someone who isn't familiar, what's the legal case for the city not being able to take down the statutes?

There is a state statute preventing the taking down of confederate statues - that's the main cause for relief for the plaintiffs. My delegate will be introducing a bill next session to leave it to the localities as to whether they want to take down such statues. The plaintiffs also have another cause or 2 based on the gift terms that the city accepted 100 years ago. Our local circuit judge issued a preliminary injunction against the city preventing the removal of the Lee statue until a final hearing on the merits this winter.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. They can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. But conservatives still lost their shit about Google shutting down free speech

From what I remember it was more that they categorized it as "PC run amok" than suppression of speech. (The two certainly aren't mutually exclusive and, if that's your assertion, I apologize.) Also remember them saying Google is free to do whatever they want, albeit stupid. Because a person or group is upset and speaks out against something doesn't mean they are shutting down speech. They are free to say whatever they'd like as long as it stays within the boundaries of the law.

Eh, they did their "study" in Boston and Chicago. I doubt anyone would question those as the two most racist cities in America. Are Boston and Chicago racist in general? Of course. Does that mean systemic racism exists everywhere, not really.

If systemic racism exists in Boston it sure as hell exists in the Randlemans of the world.

This isn't the reveal yourself thread, Strick. May I suggest posting your gym pictures there or the weight loss accountability thread. You need it.

For the amount of thought that you put into this dig, I'm less than impressed. Hopefully, you were more competent during the WOD.

Back