• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Flake not running for re-election

This is the state of Republican voters. They'd let a man like Trump burn the country to the ground so long as the progressive and liberal minded have to choke on the smoke.

This is because Democrats = anti-American.

ABC White House correspondent Johnathan Karl said on GMA this morning that a Republican Party with no place for Flake, Corker, and McCain can’t remain the majority party for long. I hope he’s right.

I'm not so certain he is correct. Especially given the poll out today that says a majority of whites in America believe there is discrimination against white people in the US, even though only 10-20% had said they'd personally been discriminated against in the workplace or school.

Bannon and Trump are currently winning this culture war.

ABC White House correspondent Johnathan Karl said on GMA this morning that a Republican Party with no place for Flake, Corker, and McCain can’t remain the majority party for long. I hope he’s right.

It's not like they're going to vote Dem. Their place is as voting rubes not politicians.

I'm not so certain he is correct. Especially given the poll out today that says a majority of whites in America believe there is discrimination against white people in the US, even though only 10-20% had said they'd personally been discriminated against in the workplace or school.

Bannon and Trump are currently winning this culture war.

In what regard are they winning? Approval is below 40%. GOP may continue to be equipped to maintain the presidency based on the electoral college map, but I wouldn't be so sure that they're equipped to hold the Senate or even the gerrymandered House. I think the 2018 midterms will be a good snapshot of where things stand. If the Democrats take back the House (a proposition they're above 50% to do based on Cook Political last time I checked) with the current maps, that's a terrible sign for the GOP.

It would take a miracle for the Dems to win the House with the current district maps.

In what regard are they winning? Approval is below 40%. GOP may continue to be equipped to maintain the presidency based on the electoral college map, but I wouldn't be so sure that they're equipped to hold the Senate or even the gerrymandered House. I think the 2018 midterms will be a good snapshot of where things stand. If the Democrats take back the House (a proposition they're above 50% to do based on Cook Political last time I checked) with the current maps, that's a terrible sign for the GOP.

I pay attention to things Steve Bannon says, not that I necessarily agree with him. I sort of consider him today's version of what Karl Rove was 15-20 years ago. In the aftermath of Cville and Trump's horrific responses to Cville, Bannon was asked about said horrific responses. Bannon responded that anytime race issues are dominating a news cycle his side wins. I was put off by the comment, but I started paying more attention to Trump's approval numbers. They hit their low in July in the 36-37% range in and have gradually come back up to the current 38-39% range over the last 3 months. In the days following August 12, his numbers really didn't dip, and they've improved since then. So even though you had fellow Pubs such as Tim Scott condemning Trump's responses to Cville, he didn't remotely suffer in the polls. And since then, he has dis-invited Steph Curry to the WH and has declared war on the NFL. Now, like Shad Khan, I believe at least half his reason for declaring war on the NFL is personal because of the death of the USFL and the NFL's refusal of his bid to buy the Bills. But I believe the other half or so is white identity politics, and I believe he has found a winning issue because he keeps playing that card week after week. Add to that, the NFL had to respond by having an owners meeting where Roger Goodell and De Smith actually spoke with each other and were on the same side. He is going to continue to engage in such wars, and they're resonating with much of white America, especially in light of today's poll.

I'm not saying the Dems will lose even more in the midterms or will lose in 2020. But it frightens me how well this culture war is resonating with much of white America.

Yeah, when you're used to being in a position of power equality looks a whole lot like oppression

Any chance someone like Mark Kelly would step in to run here for the Dem nomination?

Good question. From what I know and interviews I've heard, he would be a strong candidate. If anything, it would be interesting to see how Republicans would slander an astronaut whose wife survived a mass shooting.

Good question. From what I know and interviews I've heard, he would be a strong candidate. If anything, it would be interesting to see how Republicans would slander an astronaut whose wife survived a mass shooting.

"wants to take your guns away"

I'm not saying the Dems will lose even more in the midterms or will lose in 2020. But it frightens me how well this culture war is resonating with much of white America.

The Dem strategy to go "all in" with identity politics continues to blow up in their collective faces.

My money is on Krysten Sinema for the Dems. Good candidate.

Will be interesting though to see what, if any, her status as bisexual and non-religious has in her campaign (primarily meaning the efficacy of attacks from the right).

The Dem strategy to go "all in" with identity politics continues to blow up in their collective faces.

While, given the current climate, I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion that that hurt the Dems in 2016, Trump has quickly remade the Pub party over in his own image of white identity grievance politics. So let's also recognize that for what it is.

My money is on Krysten Sinema for the Dems. Good candidate.

Will be interesting though to see what, if any, her status as bisexual and non-religious has in her campaign (primarily meaning the efficacy of attacks from the right).

Jesus, a bisexual athiest in AZ?!? Oh yeah, that's a winner.

Jesus, a bisexual athiest in AZ?!? Oh yeah, that's a winner.

Way too early polling (August) with nearly 40% undecided gave Sinema a slight advantage over Ward in a hypothetical matchup. Sinema is the most moderate democrat voting-wise currently in the House and has a lot of support (both financially and just overall name recognition/pushing) from the establishment.

She's very popular in Arizona where she's known. It will be interesting to see this election play out. By all accounts Sinema is a fantastic choice from a substantive perspective. Of course these aren't particularly substantive times we live in.

Way too early polling (August) with nearly 40% undecided gave Sinema a slight advantage over Ward in a hypothetical matchup. Sinema is the most moderate democrat voting-wise currently in the House and has a lot of support (both financially and just overall name recognition/pushing) from the establishment.

She's very popular in Arizona where she's known. It will be interesting to see this election play out. By all accounts Sinema is a fantastic choice from a substantive perspective. Of course these aren't particularly substantive times we live in.

Ya think? That's the understatement of this young century.

I was thinking that a fiscal moderate who is socially okay who might get Flake's endorsement and some Romney voters would be the ideal candidate. But I can imagine the TV ads in AZ with a bisexual athiest in the general.

"wants to take your guns away"

Only to shoot them himself. Good luck going after a retired Navy Captain and gun owner with that one.

Only to shoot them himself. Good luck going after a retired Navy Captain and gun owner with that one.

Yes, we need more Jason Kanders in red states. Hell, Kander may have won in a pretty red state had he not had Hillary weighing him down.

Back