• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Florida State Game Time

What always frustrates me on this board is how so many posters over hype expectations and then act upset and disappointed, ready to bench players and fire coaches when we fail to meet those expectations. The truth is always the same in football and men's basketball. Wake Forest is generally playing at a talent deficit and only under extraordinary circumstances will we achieve above the reality. The Tim Duncan/Childress years were a brief period of superior talent. The Riley Skinner/Aaron Curry years were an anomaly of diamonds in the rough and some tough minded coaching. The Clawson/ Sam Hartman years have been a remarkable blend of coaching innovation and totally unexpected grit. The fact that Clawson has led us to 7 straight bowls is a remarkable credit to him, the staff and players. We were never top 25 talent in any of those years. People should stop the pissing and moaning. This year is a back to reality lesson. We are who we have always been, but are very lucky to have an inspiring, innovative coach. Most years this will be who we are. Try being a Clemson fan right now. That's REALLY hard.

Fusiondad is a known troll. Don’t feed it.
Yeah. This is such bullshit. Those poor Clemson fans. How do they make it?

If we cant compete at this level then why fight to stay in the ACC? Why is it that teams like Kansas and Duke can field 10 win teams in football but Wake can’t? Why can Northwestern get to a rose bowl but Wake has to have lowered expectations?
Because Wake has accepted settling for mediocrity in football. 6 or 7 wins every year is good enough

If we cant compete at this level then why fight to stay in the ACC? Why is it that teams like Kansas and Duke can field 10 win teams in football but Wake can’t? Why can Northwestern get to a rose bowl but Wake has to have lowered expectations?
We won 11 games two years ago lol

Yeah and in 2006, we got to the Orange Bowl (Northwestern’s Rose Bowl was 1996, btw) I guess you missed the season a couple of years ago when we won 11 games. So, what exactly is your point comparing us to schools where we‘ve matched those achievements and have done it more recently?

Yeah and in 2006, we got to the Orange Bowl (Northwestern’s Rose Bowl was 1996, btw) I guess you missed the season a couple of years ago when we won 11 games. So, what exactly is your point comparing us to schools where we‘ve matched those achievements and have done it more recently?
So you’re saying we can compete at this level and don’t have to have live with low expectations?

So you’re saying we can compete at this level and don’t have to have live with low expectations?
I’m saying we can as much as those programs you cited. It was a really strange way to make a point to say why can’t we do this or that, like this or that school and yet we have and more recently to boot. :rolleyes:

Maybe Clawson and staff are taking the longer view to try and squeeze out at least two more wins. Let Griffis absorb most of the beating from FSU. Have Marucci not beat up and more ready after a week of split reps and next (short) week reps. Maybe by Thursday Marucci knows another 10 pages of the playbook.

Hope springs eternal. You have to have it as a Wake fan.

The football media members not pressing the issue on such a clearly terrible team management decision are disappointing. Les, Cam, CO, I expect more from them.

It’s obvious to anyone with eyes Mitch isn’t a D1 QB. How they can beat around the bush and not ask Clawson “how did you let this happen?” and “why the fuck is he still playing?” is pathetic .

Yep. Access is prized more than enforcing accountability. And I’m not even looking for confrontation. You can phrase it respectfully. But you have to ask something.

Yep. Access is prized more than enforcing accountability. And I’m not even looking for confrontation. You can phrase it respectfully. But you have to ask something.
Haven't really been in this camp before now but when the problem is so obvious that the national TV commentators are talking about it very openly I think it's fair for Clawson to get some pointed questions about it.

1) what the fuck is Clawson going to say? He’s not an idiot. If bud doesn’t want to answer a pointed question, he won’t. It’s not like he is on the witness stand.

2) Nobody wanted hard questions when we were winning. People just want to make Clawson feel the same pain and embarrassment they feel because Wake lost.

3) where in college football do you see the media cross-examining a coach about playing time?

1) what the fuck is Clawson going to say? He’s not an idiot. If bud doesn’t want to answer a pointed question, he won’t. It’s not like he is on the witness stand.

2) Nobody wanted hard questions when we were winning. People just want to make Clawson feel the same pain and embarrassment they feel because Wake lost.

3) where in college football do you see the media cross-examining a coach about playing time?
It’s not a cross examination. It’s asking pointed question to have him on the record and hold him accountable. Asking him what specifically Mitch does better than the other QBs that has earned him the starting job is a fair question and isn’t confrontational either. A good journalist should have an appropriate level of conflict with the coaches they cover.

The most important position in the entire program is vital to get right. Clawson has gotten it spectacularly wrong. This has wrecked our season, may cost us our bowl streak, and is going to affect recruiting and the portal. It’s going to undo a lot of the work that we all agreed he had done.

The situation is worse than you’re willing to acknowledge.

We’re not pathetic fans. Quite the opposite; we want to win.

I’m not calling for Clawson’s firing, but there is some measure of accountability between that and absolutely nothing. And he faces absolutely no accountability, and these are the results.
What do you want- to cut his pay?

I don't even know where to begin.

No one needs to ask hard questions when you're winning, because the coach is doing his job effectively. And the place coaches are asked direct questions about their choice of starting one player over another in P5 college football is pretty much everywhere but at Wake Forest.

Back