• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Florida State Game Time

I just don’t know what Clawson is doing man. I trust him and all but wheeling out the equivalent of a wheelchair bound ninety year game after game old is getting insane

Maybe Clawson and staff are taking the longer view to try and squeeze out at least two more wins. Let Griffis absorb most of the beating from FSU. Have Marucci not beat up and more ready after a week of split reps and next (short) week reps. Maybe by Thursday Marucci knows another 10 pages of the playbook.

Hope springs eternal. You have to have it as a Wake fan.
That was my take. I expected to see Santino after halftime, but I also think FSU was a throwaway game and there was no upside to potentially injuring SM and giving Duke more game film on him than the limited, basic playbook film that exist from last week. I convinced myself that essentially Mitch was being offered up as the sacrificial lamb to save Santino for the winnable games.

Also, as excited as we are about SM, I’m also realistic that the caliber of team he excelled against was…Pitt. The kid is still a little rough around the edges. I’d rather not tip my hat yet with his capabilities until we absolutely have to. Lastly, I’ve never had an issue with a coach rotating QBs. Fans don’t like it, but they don’t need to. I still don’t think we have a QB on the roster.

Clawson wiped out all of the momentum of the Pitt win by starting Mitch. Sure there could be reasons behind the scenes that we are not aware of (e.g. knowing they had 0.00% chance against FSU and/or keeping Mooch for the Duke game where he is better suited for, or he is just too damn arrogant to admit he was wrong).

But, at the end of the day, it turned into one big CF. Players not happy, fans not happy, coaches scratching their asses and then their heads.

Seems like Wake has a history of throw away games. Think of VaTech 2006. Yes OB year, but unlike elite teams, Grobe tossed them a bone. Not saying this team is anywhere close to 2006, but good teams/coaches and gameplans just don’t mail it in.

Clawson wiped out all of the momentum of the Pitt win by starting Mitch. Sure there could be reasons behind the scenes that we are not aware of (e.g. knowing they had 0.00% chance against FSU and/or keeping Mooch for the Duke game where he is better suited for, or he is just too damn arrogant to admit he was wrong).

But, at the end of the day, it turned into one big CF. Players not happy, fans not happy, coaches scratching their asses and then their heads.

Seems like Wake has a history of throw away games. Think of VaTech 2006. Yes OB year, but unlike elite teams, Grobe tossed them a bone. Not saying this team is anywhere close to 2006, but good teams/coaches and gameplans just don’t mail it in.

It sucks to mail it in on national TV and with recruits in the house. :(

I couldn't believe that Griffis started. I knew right then that we would get killed. He's not a P5 quarterback. I really wanted to see Tino. But, we suck at almost every other part of the game as well.

I was pissed (but not suprised) when Mitch started the game. I was even more pissed when he started the 2nd half after having completed a grand total of ONE pass.

And Clawson came as close as he ever has to losing me when he finally put Marucci in. Playing him at that point was a FU to the fans. I mean why bother? The game was over at that point.

Clawson has some explaining to do in his Tuesday presser.

He does but I highly doubt he will be challenged with any tough questions. After some time to reflect, I'm even more pissed about yesterday's performance. I fully realize we had almost zero chance of winning but that might have been the most half-assed coaching effort I've seen in Clawson's tenure. It really did remind me of the Chuck Mills era where we just showed up and hoped for a moral victory.

The theory that Clawson was actually focused on Duke this whole time is bolstered by the fact that we know from his introductory presser that he hates Duke. Add on to that the fact that Elko is tearing it up this year, and Clawson probably wants to beat Duke more than any team on the schedule.

I don’t know, I’m just searching for some justification for yesterday‘s perplexing decisions.

start Mitch yesterday to see if there was anything there but protects Tino from getting banged up to unleash him on Thursday. That’s my hope that Clawson was playing chess.

My attitude about yesterday vastly changed when I found out the UNC/GT score.

Yesterday wasn’t so bad of a day.

Starting Marucci so he could get the game reps and experience against the #4 team in the country would have been the way to go if Clawson truly is laser focused on Duke and wanting to win that game. Saving Marucci and then sending him in when the game is out of hand while letting Midge shit the bed for the umpteenth time would not be the way to do that

People aren’t serious that he was intentionally resting a dude who’s played one football game in the last 5 years, right?

Not resting; intentionally preventing a player from putting any more tape down regarding his tendencies, or from getting pulverized by the FSU D when the Coach had internally conceded defeat from the opening whistle, during a short week.

But no, it makes little sense, which is why I said I’m searching for justification. Nothing this Coach is doing with his QBs is making much sense.

Starting Marucci so he could get the game reps and experience against the #4 team in the country would have been the way to go if Clawson truly is laser focused on Duke and wanting to win that game. Saving Marucci and then sending him in when the game is out of hand while letting Midge shit the bed for the umpteenth time would not be the way to do that

This. Crucial to get Tino more reps going forward.

Feel free to move about the premises as you see fit, of course, but I wonder how many of you would talk to Clawson using the same tone and tenor you do here.

Back