• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Florida State Game Time

When Clawson was quoted saying that Marucci would remember the Pitt game for the rest of his life, I took it as he had a great game but won’t be playing when Mitch is available.

Didn’t someone on here also say he throws a ton of interceptions in practice? The hard reality may be that the QB room just sucks and Mitch is the best we have.

Didn’t someone on here also say he throws a ton of interceptions in practice? The hard reality may be that the QB room just sucks and Mitch is the best we have.

NAH - The likely explanation is Clawson and staff are deliberately playing the worse option at QB to give THE MIDDLE FINGER to the ogboards.com keyboard jockeys who demand answers and accountability but don't attend games, donate to NIL or support the athletic dept.

When Clawson was quoted saying that Marucci would remember the Pitt game for the rest of his life, I took it as he had a great game but won’t be playing when Mitch is available.

This has really been my only point the entire time wrt the entire quarterback situation. He was converted to two other positions in the last two years. Now you could argue that since the staff was sold on Mitch, they just thought trying to get him on the field elsewhere made more sense.

I'm not going to try to defend the fact that we've had 3 years of evaluation of Mitch and the staff thought he was capable of leading Wake to where we all want to be. Nothing I have seen from this season shows me even glimpses of that. That's where my biggest criticism of the staff would come into play.

NAH - The likely explanation is Clawson and staff are deliberately playing the worse option at QB to give THE MIDDLE FINGER to the ogboards.com keyboard jockeys who demand answers and accountability but don't attend games, donate to NIL or support the athletic dept.
I think this is funny, but there is something to the idea of being a "gamer." Some guys just perform better at game speed and with real pressure.

Still, I would love to see tape of the practices where Mitch was so great, because I have trouble believing it to be real.

This has really been my only point the entire time wrt the entire quarterback situation. He was converted to two other positions in the last two years. Now you could argue that since the staff was sold on Mitch, they just thought trying to get him on the field elsewhere made more sense.

I'm not going to try to defend the fact that we've had 3 years of evaluation of Mitch and the staff thought he was capable of leading Wake to where we all want to be. Nothing I have seen from this season shows me even glimpses of that. That's where my biggest criticism of the staff would come into play.
Yeah I think you see this a decent bit with good athletes who may not be first at QB but should be on the field in some position.

Our coach says no one has been better than Norvell doing the new football thing. Looks like the map going forward to me. Are we gonna do those things or try and rely on recruit high school and turn them into players in 4 years. I think that plan is failure in this era. We have decisions to make. Wishing and hoping is not a plan.

I interpreted that Norvell talk as messaging (or at least messaging influenced by the fact) that we need NIL money and we need a lot of it, and if we don't get it nothing else really matters. Which I think is exactly right.

Anecdotally, I hear from people I know on the staff of bigger, and in one case very highly ranked, programs that even for them NIL money matters more than anything else.

This is what I was worried about when all of this free agency and NIL business happened. I'm happy kids get paid (this is not sarcasm; good for them). But I have a lot of concerns about how WFU can thrive in this new world. And I have little to no interest in watching semi-professional-sort-of-college football.

Now, if WFU can assemble enough money to go buy good players, cool. But as you note above, wishing and hoping is not a winning strategy. At least I think Currie knows that. Unlike that moron Wellman.

Last edited:
I interpreted that Norvell talk as messaging (or at least messaging influenced by the fact) that we need NIL money and we need a lot of it, and if we don't get it nothing else really matters. Which I think is exactly right.

Anecdotally, I hear from people I know on the staff of bigger, and in once case very highly ranked, programs that even for them NIL money matters more than anything else.

This is what I was worried about when all of this free agency and NIL business happened. I'm happy kids get paid (this is not sarcasm; good for them). But I have a lot of concerns about how WFU can thrive in this new world. And I have little to no interest in watching semi-professional-sort-of-college football.

Now, if WFU can assemble enough money to go buy good players, cool. But as you note above, wishing and hoping is not a winning strategy. At least I think Currie knows that. Unlike that moron Wellman.
Yeah, a lot of people were saying how the players were getting taken advantage of and they should be paid and there was certainly merit to some of those arguments. However, the downside to all that is the "big-time" programs that has always had the advantages of the best and latest facilities will have a bigger advantage with the NIL era because they've got the most money. I was reading how South Carolina, a big state school with resources way beyond ours, is at a big disadvantage to SEC teams like Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU, A&M and probably incoming Texas and Oklahoma in regards to NIL. Where does people think that leaves a program like ours? We finally put our facilities in a competitive position compared to most others and now we're fighting the NIL battle where it's going to be even harder for us to be competitive.

Lot of unverified assumptions here

Appreciate it and I'm sorry. Going to be pretty absent this week because of a death in my family. Will still have some stuff on my site; hoping to make it back for the game.
Thoughts and prayers. My condolences on your loss.

In reality, the top echelon of revenue college sports has basically been "semi-professional-sort-of" for quite a while now.

The only difference in the NIL world of today is the cash funneled to the top players is now out in the open.

And there is a strategy in place - Fans/Alums invested in Wake winning games on the field or court now need to step it up financially.

Not just the McCreary's, Sutton's, or Shah's... everyone can do his or her part. Especially those who pretend not to be invested yet frequently post on a Wake Forest Sports message board.

Yeah, a lot of people were saying how the players were getting taken advantage of and they should be paid and there was certainly merit to some of those arguments. However, the downside to all that is the "big-time" programs that has always had the advantages of the best and latest facilities will have a bigger advantage with the NIL era because they've got the most money. I was reading how South Carolina, a big state school with resources way beyond ours, is at a big disadvantage to SEC teams like Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU, A&M and probably incoming Texas and Oklahoma in regards to NIL. Where does people think that leaves a program like ours? We finally put our facilities in a competitive position compared to most others and now we're fighting the NIL battle where it's going to be even harder for us to be competitive.
Not to derail but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I don't think NIL will be good for college sports in general. Will be interested to see how much national interest there is in CFB when only a handful of programs matter. Combined with the breakdown of traditional/local rivalries and conference realignment it'll be interesting to see how the average college student-athlete fairs a decade from now...

In reality, the top echelon of revenue college sports has basically been "semi-professional-sort-of" for quite a while now.

The only difference in the NIL world of today is the cash funneled to the top players is now out in the open.

And there is a strategy in place - Fans/Alums invested in Wake winning games on the field or court now need to step it up financially.

Not just the McCreary's, Sutton's, or Shah's... everyone can do his or her part. Especially those who pretend not to be invested yet frequently post on a Wake Forest Sports message board.
Bringing it out in the open just widens the gap between those that were already doing it and programs like Wake. We had some decent success here and there with our model of recruiting our kind of guys and developing them for four to five years. NIL and the transfer portal took our legs out. It's not LOWF to say that we are far less likely to be competitive in this new world than we were before. It's the reality of college athletics now.

Which is why we need a sustainable equitable system for compensating athletes through the same TV and other revenue sources that pay these huge salaries across the board.

I know there's always a few people on here whose attitudes justify this sort of criticism, but for the most part you're preaching to the choir. Surely you realize that? Many if not most of us have supported Wake athletics for many years financially and in lots of other ways. I can't go to many games because of travel distance but I'm a 28-yr DC member and I give above the minimum level. I also give to the College Fund. So you might tone down the snark a bit.

Ahh yes. We need government regulation !

The system was so bad that the courts deregulated it.

We have a system for paying everyone except athletes from the revenue. We have systems for paying students. Figure out how to apply those to athletes.

The system was so bad that the courts deregulated it.

We have a system for paying everyone except athletes from the revenue. We have systems for paying students. Figure out how to apply those to athletes.
The "system" was that athletes couldn't be paid (legally) except scholarship and stipend. Instead of expanding and growing the stipend portion, the NCAA fought and lost. So the whole prohibition was declared invalid. And the result is a free for all, with the richest winning.

Carve out a piece of the conference payment to schools as an allocation to student athletes

The current TV contracts allocate most money to football, even though the total programming hours for other sports are much greater. One way to allocate funds would be by live program hours:

Football 12 games, 3 hours per game =36 program hours.
Basketball (m) 31 games, 2 hours = 62 hours.
Basketball (w) 31 games, 2 hours = 62

Etc.
This may not be the best way, but a thought towards developing a system that rewards players, doesn't run afoul of Title IX and doesn't give an exhibiting edge to bigger, richer schools.

Funnel all the "NIL" money through the school. Legit NIL value of a player is connected to the school he or she represents.

I suspect the large universities that have a clear financial advantage would never agree to an equatible pay for pay system. Even if they did, NIL would be available to the athletes and the disparities would prevail.

If and when the football powers leave the NCAA or are reclassified as a seperate division, the universities that remain will have the opportunity to organize college football with priorities not completely beholden to the the almighty dollar. Whether they would do so is another question to be answered.

Back