• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Flynn named National Security Advisor

So what are the talking points against Sessions as AG? Too far removed from practicing law? Too conservative?

So what are the talking points against Sessions as AG? Too far removed from practicing law? Too conservative?

Presumably the same as they were 30 years ago when a GOP Senate wouldn't confirm him.

back then it was because he said the 'n' word too much and joked about not caring about the KKK until he found out they smoked weed

Not allowed to call racists racist though. So we'll have to come up with something else.

Presumably the same as they were 30 years ago when a GOP Senate wouldn't confirm him.

back then it was because he said the 'n' word too much and joked about not caring about the KKK until he found out they smoked weed

He didn't even make it out of committee IIRC. He's quite literally racist.

Plus the (unsuccessful) prosecution of civil rights workers that were working to get out the black vote in Alabama that was viewed as an attempt to intimidate voters.

Having finally read up on him (I don't keep myself as up to date on the outrage du jour that some of you do), I don't think a person who couldn't be confirmed for a lesser position in the Justice apparatus should be then nominated and confirmed for the lead position in said organization.

That said, I hope the opposition has instances of racist behavior from more recently than 30 years ago if they hope to stop his confirmation.

Having finally read up on him (I don't keep myself as up to date on the outrage du jour that some of you do), I don't think a person who couldn't be confirmed for a lesser position in the Justice apparatus should be then nominated and confirmed for the lead position in said organization.

That said, I hope the opposition has instances of racist behavior from more recently than 30 years ago if they hope to stop his confirmation.

How on earth would anyone stop his confirmation? He's gonna sail.

Mike Rogers would be a good pick for either CIA or NSA.

Even if they can block, Trump might just bring up someone worse. And it gives Trump fodder for his "Washington is fighting me because I'm going to drain the swamp!" narrative to distract from the fact that he's not so much draining the swamp as he is tepidly stirring it enough that the grossest stuff floats to the top.

The Jeff Sessions appointment for AG is an absolute disgrace.

Any southern GOP senators that don't kiss the ring are going to get blitzed in the primary.

He hasn't done a Robert Byrd "holy shit, I'm so sorry, that was awful" statement. He is who he is and he is unapologetic. We all know a small, seemingly sweet, old, white man in our own lives that is racist as fuck. That's Jeff Sessions.

He hasn't done a Robert Byrd "holy shit, I'm so sorry, that was awful" statement. He is who he is and he is unapologetic. We all know a small, seemingly sweet, old, white man in our own lives that is racist as fuck. That's Jeff Sessions.

Not entirely true. He just denied that he's racist.

In 1986, Sessions defended himself against accusations of racism. "I am not the Jeff Sessions my detractors have tried to create," he told the very same Senate Judiciary Committee he now sits on. "I am not a racist. I am not insensitive to blacks."

And he told Stanley-Becker this summer: "Racism is totally unacceptable in America. Everybody needs to be treated fairly and objectively."

But the Southern Poverty Law Center's Heidi Beirich, who tracks hate speech, said Sessions is guilty of it, and that his mere presence in Trump's inner circle is "a tragedy for American politics."

That man for me is Bob 1

Not entirely true. He just denied that he's racist.

There's a big difference between "I'm so sorry, that was awful" and the standard "I'm not a racist."

Back