• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Deacs in the NFL

Luiji Vilian looks to have made he Vikings roster.

Ja'Sir Taylor makes the Chargers roster.

Luiji Vilian looks to have made he Vikings roster.

Impressive. I don't think many of us were expecting that. Taylor was a 6th round pick and Vilian is a rookie UFA. Practice squad would have been huge for both. Add in Masterson and that's three guys from a horrible defense who had little shot to make a roster and they did.

How many defenses since the Fresh Deacs have put three players on NFL active rosters the next season?

Dortch made the Cardinals roster as expected. Zach Tom may compete for reps at RT. Bassey and Strnad made the Broncos roster.

The Deacs calling card has been offense yet 7 NFL Deacs are from the defense. The five on offense include Haynes, Herron, and Tom on the OL.

To answer my own question, as far as I can tell, this is the first time Wake has had 3 players from the same defense make NFL active rosters as rookies.

Going back to the FRESH DEACS, Curry and Phonz made active rosters as rookies in 2009. Chip Vaughn and Stanley Arnoux were drafted in 2009 but placed on IR and made 2010 rosters. Brandon Ghee was drafted in 2010 and played for the Bengals for a few years.

To answer my own question, as far as I can tell, this is the first time Wake has had 3 players from the same defense make NFL active rosters as rookies.

Going back to the FRESH DEACS, Curry and Phonz made active rosters as rookies in 2009. Chip Vaughn and Stanley Arnoux were drafted in 2009 but placed on IR and made 2010 rosters. Brandon Ghee was drafted in 2010 and played for the Bengals for a few years.

That says a lot about Duke's safeties coach.

Pretty sure I read Vilian had one of better Free Agent deals….better than late draft picks…like $225k guaranteed….

Tom going to do a lot more than get reps this year. Somebody’s going to get hurt and he’ll be starting.

And yeah it’s pretty pathetic that a defense with three rookies on NFL rosters couldn’t stop anybody. And those three were at different levels on the field.

Coaching matters- give Clawson credit for making changes when required. The fire still burns!

I don’t think anyone who watched our defense said to themselves, 3 of these guys will be on an NFL roster next year.
This begs a question or two. Is it endemic our defense will suffer because of the offense? Will a coaching change solve that? The defense was quite good at times last year. UVA, FSU come to mind. I have no clue right now. What say you?

WF has 13 on NFL rosters and is regularly ranked as a team in the mid 60s in recruiting rankings. No wonder Clawson ignores recruit rankings except to point out how unimportant they are once the development process begins.

This begs a question or two. Is it endemic our defense will suffer because of the offense? Will a coaching change solve that? The defense was quite good at times last year. UVA, FSU come to mind. I have no clue right now. What say you?

the UVA game in particular was a master class in complementary football.

WF's first 6 offensive drives:

9 plays, 75 yards, 2:41, TD
12 plays, 67 yards, 3:53, FG
7 plays, 75 yards, 2:42, TD
15 plays, 71 yards, 4:55, FG
9 plays, 83 yards, 3:35, TD
9 plays, 75 yards, 3:20, TD

whole lot easier to play defense when you get to rest, you get the psychological lift of the offense having scored, and you start the defensive possession with the other team at their 25

WF has 13 on NFL rosters and is regularly ranked as a team in the mid 60s in recruiting rankings. No wonder Clawson ignores recruit rankings except to point out how unimportant they are once the development process begins.

WF says 12 so perhaps you are including KWIII, but yes, the program is overachieving relative to recruiting rankings

Ja'Sir Taylor makes the Chargers roster.

WF says 12 so perhaps you are including KWIII, but yes, the program is overachieving relative to recruiting rankings

Or Sage who is technically on the Chargers roster, but not on the active roster.

If you take all the roster spots and divide them by all the FBS teams, it comes out to about 13. So we're right at the expected mark. Based on a quick look, Wake has about as many NFL players as other P5 teams that recruit around the same level.

Back