• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FOOTBALL SPRING PRACTICE Megathread

Dekin

Reaction score
Since Spring Practice is finally here, I thought it might be a good idea to have one spot to post news, updates and personal observations (from all of you lucky enough to spend some time 'on the wall')
To get things started, here's a brief summary from the first practice yesterday.
Really excited to see how things develop with our 3 new coaches.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030612aab.html

Ramon Booi moved to OL I heard. Odd that a 4 year DL gets moved his senior year, as I can't imagine he will see many snaps baring a rash of injuries. Depth issues on OL?

We had 16 or 17 OL on last year's roster, almost all over 300 lbs. I doubt depth is a problem. Seems like DL get moved to OL and then we complain about not having enough depth and size on the DL. It's a frustrating cycle, especially since both units are still weaknesses.

we have a four-post megathread that is a week old?

It sure would be nice if Zach Allen could emerge this Spring as a playmaker who can rush the passer, as we have been lacking in the sacks department for awhile now.

We seem very thin at:
TE- one scholarship player, Basford, with Garcia moving to DE and excluding incoming freshmen.
NG- Whitlock and Souza holding it down again
OLB- Zach Allen, Joey "lax bro" Ehrmann, and Justin Jackson (recently moved apparently) with young and undersized Josh Hunt and Jordan "skinny jeans and flip flops" Pineda

Given Allen is still kind of raw and a relative unknown, Ehrmann is largely ineffective, and Justin Jackson frankly does not fit the mold of an OLB in a 3-4 I wonder why some tweener guys like Derricus Ellis and Gods-Power aren't given a shot at OLB-- unless I am overestimating their athleticism

It sure would be nice if Zach Allen could emerge this Spring as a playmaker who can rush the passer, as we have been lacking in the sacks department for awhile now.

We seem very thin at:
TE- one scholarship player, Basford, with Garcia moving to DE and excluding incoming freshmen.
OLB- Zach Allen, Joey "lax bro" Ehrmann, and Justin Jackson (recently moved apparently) with young and undersized Josh Hunt and Jordan "skinny jeans and flip flops" Pineda

Given Allen is still kind of raw and a relative unknown, Ehrmann is largely ineffective, and Justin Jackson frankly does not fit the mold of an OLB in a 3-4 I wonder why some tweener guys like Derricus Ellis and Gods-Power aren't given a shot at OLB-- unless I am overestimating their athleticism

Not sure I would describe Ehrmann as ineffective, but I may be misremembering.

We seem very thin at:

Don't really agree with your 'thin' comments. Here's how I see it.......
TE - while Basford is the only upper classman scholly player, we also have 2 very good freshmen coming in - Zach Gordon (a beast of a blocker) and Anthony Rook (good size, speed, hands) and Grobe has hinted that these guys could play. TE has not been an intergral part of our offense in recent years and I think this year we will alternately use the spot for a) blocking and b) more pass routes to open up the offense
NG - As long as Nikita is healthy, he's going to get most of the downs. Hopefully Souza can get fired up and get some decent playing time. He's a big strong body that we'll need in certain situations. Shelldon Lewinson, another true freshman, is a slightly bigger version of Nikita. Very strong. Don't be suprised to see him on the field this year.
OLB - our overall LB depth is better this year. I see the top 4 OLBs as Allen, Erhman, Jackson and Hunt. Good size and speed for the outside. Don't think Hunt is undersized. Believe he's around 6'1'' 215 and fast...........just what you want on the outside.

We'll learn more about all of this next week when practice resumes.

Don't really agree with your 'thin' comments. Here's how I see it.......
TE - while Basford is the only upper classman scholly player, we also have 2 very good freshmen coming in - Zach Gordon (a beast of a blocker) and Anthony Rook (good size, speed, hands) and Grobe has hinted that these guys could play. TE has not been an intergral part of our offense in recent years and I think this year we will alternately use the spot for a) blocking and b) more pass routes to open up the offense
NG - As long as Nikita is healthy, he's going to get most of the downs. Hopefully Souza can get fired up and get some decent playing time. He's a big strong body that we'll need in certain situations. Shelldon Lewinson, another true freshman, is a slightly bigger version of Nikita. Very strong. Don't be suprised to see him on the field this year.
OLB - our overall LB depth is better this year. I see the top 4 OLBs as Allen, Erhman, Jackson and Hunt. Good size and speed for the outside. Don't think Hunt is undersized. Believe he's around 6'1'' 215 and fast...........just what you want on the outside.

We'll learn more about all of this next week when practice resumes.

6'1 215 is small for a 4-3 OLB. 6'1 215 is absolutely tiny for a 3-4 OLB.

Not sure I would describe Ehrmann as ineffective, but I may be misremembering.

Ehrmann had 54 tackles, 3.0 tfls 0.5 sacks, 1 int and 1 fumble recovery last year. As a freshman he had 25 tackles, 5.5 tfls, and 3.5 sacks. Every other starting linebacker had more tackles for loss than Ehrmann last year.

I think he can play better than he did last year. We didn't get any pressure on the passer and Ehrmann's declining production was a big part of that.

Some of that as to do with not really playing the 3-4 very well. We never found a way to really attck out of it. Seems our DL might is better suited to the 3-4 and our LB might be more suited the 4 -3.

Ehrmann played great against FSU. The rest of the year, meh.

Olson will start at LB. Ideally he is inside with Jackson and Allen and Ehrmann can provide some pressure on the outside.

On the line, we need Floyd to be really good. That allows us to run this:

End: Floyd 6'5 - 240
NG: Nikita 5'10 - 255
End: Thompson 6'5 - 255

I guess Redding, Souza provide depth on the line. I agree we may need Lewinson to play immediately.

Key to the defense is Floyd, Allen stepping up at LB and the Safety position as we lose 2 starters there.

Ehrmann had 54 tackles, 3.0 tfls 0.5 sacks, 1 int and 1 fumble recovery last year. As a freshman he had 25 tackles, 5.5 tfls, and 3.5 sacks. Every other starting linebacker had more tackles for loss than Ehrmann last year.

I think he can play better than he did last year. We didn't get any pressure on the passer and Ehrmann's declining production was a big part of that.

Some of that as to do with not really playing the 3-4 very well. We never found a way to really attck out of it. Seems our DL might is better suited to the 3-4 and our LB might be more suited the 4 -3.

I think this is right on. Really disappointed last season with our lack of pressure on the QB.

If we are going to randomly reassign players then lets put Bohanon somewhere he can have an impact.

Back