• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Foothills (Poll), also discussion on DT Winston-Salem Bars

What do you think of Foothills?

• Total voters
Except for rec has changed for the worse now too.

Its a shame, but I think they had to. For the last year or so Rec has generally been a ghost town on the weekend. Gotta serve the liquor to bring the chicks (and therefore the drunk money spending bros) in. Too much competition in Winston these days.

And yes, Foothills "homemade ketchup" is an abomination.

Its a shame, but I think they had to. For the last year or so Rec has generally been a ghost town on the weekend. Gotta serve the liquor to bring the chicks (and therefore the drunk money spending bros) in. Too much competition in Winston these days.

Yeah but that doesn't mean you need to split the basement from the upstairs bar.

Except for rec has changed for the worse now too.

Yeah but that doesn't mean you need to split the basement from the upstairs bar.

This is very disappointing news. In other news, has anyone checked out either of these places:

http://www.hootspublic.com/ (apparently right by Opera which sounds awesome)

or

http://smallbatchws.com/ (apparently not open yet)

been there once and beer was good, also got it in the outerbanks

whats weird is beer advocate loves their stuff. probably some nubbins palates around here

Wait, they did what? How do you get to the basement now?

It was just about to reopen when I left.

According to SCD, you have to go around to the backdoor of the basement and it's a completely separate bar now w/ only like 4 beers on draft (and I think not nearly the same selection of bottled beer).

This is very disappointing news. In other news, has anyone checked out either of these places:

http://www.hootspublic.com/ (apparently right by Opera which sounds awesome)

or

http://smallbatchws.com/ (apparently not open yet)

So Hoots is actually really kind of sketchy/weird to get to. You have to go a good bit up Northwest Ave so the walk on that unlit road probably isn't gonna be the easiest/safest from Opera (which sucks). They also weren't serving their own beers yet when I went to their soft open. It's basically just a smallish room with 4-5 booths and a bar + a pinball machine and juke box. The quality of the beers they make is gonna determine whether they make it or not imo.

Also the parking for hootz sucked when we went, the whole lot was full back there and there isn't really anywhere safe to park outside/near that. They're going to have expand/find more parking if so many businesses are gonna be in that building.

So Hoots is actually really kind of sketchy/weird to get to. You have to go a good bit up Northwest Ave so the walk on that unlit road probably isn't gonna be the easiest/safest from Opera (which sucks). They also weren't serving their own beers yet when I went to their soft open. It's basically just a smallish room with 4-5 booths and a bar + a pinball machine and juke box. The quality of the beers they make is gonna determine whether they make it or not imo.

Also the parking for hootz sucked when we went, the whole lot was full back there and there isn't really anywhere safe to park outside/near that. They're going to have expand/find more parking if so many businesses are gonna be in that building.

When was the soft opening? I just figured I will definitely be hitting up Opera this weekend during Homecoming. Also, I fucking hate the Tap. So overall, you would not recommend checking it out?

whats weird is beer advocate loves their stuff. probably some nubbins palates around here
Yea, I don't get the "meh" opinion. Foothills beers stack up vs just about anyone. I'll drink them over a lot of other beers....especially Hoppyum and their Porter. Sexual Chocolate might be the best beer brewed in NC..at least it was before all these breweries popped up.

When was the soft opening? I just figured I will definitely be hitting up Opera this weekend during Homecoming. Also, I fucking hate the Tap. So overall, you would not recommend checking it out?

I mean, they have some decent craft beers on draft right now (and may even have their own stuff by now??) so it's worth it if you're in the area. I'm just not sure you'll want to walk there from Opera. You have to go almost all the way up to the gas station at Thurmond to hit the little street that connects to their parking lot.

I know a couple of the dudes behind Small Batch. The beer is good, but that place is going to be a hipster heaven.

They're going to be on 5th street right? Location should work well for bar hopping in that area.

I mean, they have some decent craft beers on draft right now (and may even have their own stuff by now??) so it's worth it if you're in the area. I'm just not sure you'll want to walk there from Opera. You have to go almost all the way up to the gas station at Thurmond to hit the little street that connects to their parking lot.

yeah the Hoots location is just really strange. I want to check it out and I gave to their kickstarter but I'm hoping the location wasn't a terrible choice.

I was rly thinking it was going to be closer to Opera than it is. We actually had a little trouble finding it when we went last week.

nothing beats the looks you get when you walk into Gatsby's if you're not a regular

Yea, I don't get the "meh" opinion. Foothills beers stack up vs just about anyone. I'll drink them over a lot of other beers....especially Hoppyum and their Porter. Sexual Chocolate might be the best beer brewed in NC..at least it was before all these breweries popped up.

Sex Choc is good. My favorite I've had in NC is either Duck Rabbit Dopplebock or Mother Earth Silent Night.

They're going to be on 5th street right? Location should work well for bar hopping in that area.

Yeah, it's not really my bag, but it should be a nice place for the youngish, hipster crowd. I think they were trying to get some affiliation as a fan crew watch spot or some shit for USMNT soccer and the concept of smaller batches in more unique flavors is an attractive one.

Yeah, it's not really my bag, but it should be a nice place for the youngish, hipster crowd. I think they were trying to get some affiliation as a fan crew watch spot or some shit for USMNT soccer and the concept of smaller batches in more unique flavors is an attractive one.

Yep, I'm defs gonna check that out before I get too old. :p

Back