• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Foothills (Poll), also discussion on DT Winston-Salem Bars

What do you think of Foothills?

• Total voters
I used to go to Foothills multiple times a week for trivia and food, but got sick of always losing to RTQ's ELEVEN PERSON TRIVIA TEAM.

Their food is decent for what it is. Pickle chips are a great side, but they charge you extra if you want ranch or bleu cheese with them. Food at First Street and Finnigan's (despite their relatively limited menu) is definitely better, though.

Most of their beers are solid. Rarely my first choice when out at other bars, but I'd never turn one down.

Overall I'm glad that Foothills exists. I like it, but it's not the best in town or anything.

Thirded ???

Although ordering a meal in their during a rush can be an adventure. Better not be in a hurry to go anywhere.

Yeah, it's a frequent stop for people running the drunk mile. Another time I was there, a double decker bus parked in front and a mob of people rushed in. Anyone know what that was about?

I think saying the food sucks is a bit of an exaggeration. It's pretty standard pub fare and some things are rly good (pickle chips!). They really only fail for the homemade ketchup that isn't good at all.

The food is not great but otherwise I like it okay.

I've had the majority of entrees there and don't remember a single one being better than "meh", I usually get the fish and chips (not good) because it's half off. Most of their apps are really bad. The pretzels are my favorite thing there, the pickle chips are good, and the spinach/artichoke dip is good, but the rest is terrible. The nachos are awful and only come with a thimble full of store bought chunky salsa, the fries are really soggy and gross, the chicken wings are bad, the quesadillas are bad. Pub food is mostly fried shit, so it shouldn't be hard to do it correctly, but they still don't.

Putters does pub food right.

Last edited:
edit: First Street is the clear choice for beer selection and pub food though

It's my regular bar. However, I should point out River Ridge Tap House in at 421/Lew-Clem, their beer selection is the best thing around but out of the way for some.

Yeah, it's a frequent stop for people running the drunk mile. Another time I was there, a double decker bus parked in front and a mob of people rushed in. Anyone know what that was about?

Burke Street pub crawl. couple months back maybe?

Sucks.

Trivia in there BLOWS

Am I the only one here who loves Torch? Pretty solid pilsner, imho.

Honestly, the anchor for Foothills has always been the service. More often than not they're aloof. Friendly, but aloof.

Food is horrible. The quality of the beer seems to have improved since they acquired carolina brewing out of Mooresville. I had their pumpkins beer the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Their sexual chocolate is my favorite,

The Quiet Pint is owned by the same owner as Burke St Pizza! He's a good dude!

I read in the paper that he hired one of the consultants used on "Bar Rescue" to help get it going. Seems like they're going after the Finnigan's demographic of solid beer selection and good pub grub. Sounds promising.

So Hoots is actually really kind of sketchy/weird to get to. You have to go a good bit up Northwest Ave so the walk on that unlit road probably isn't gonna be the easiest/safest from Opera (which sucks). They also weren't serving their own beers yet when I went to their soft open. It's basically just a smallish room with 4-5 booths and a bar + a pinball machine and juke box. The quality of the beers they make is gonna determine whether they make it or not imo.

I thought you could get to Hoots from the small avenue that runs between the antique shops at the other end of Opera?

I read in the paper that he hired one of the consultants used on "Bar Rescue" to help get it going. Seems like they're going after the Finnigan's demographic of solid beer selection and good pub grub. Sounds promising.

So its going to look like an Applebees and they'll have 3 signature drinks with a gimmicky W-S/NC connection.

Awesome.

So its going to look like an Applebees and they'll have 3 signature drinks with a gimmicky W-S/NC connection.

Awesome.

Is that what they do? I've honestly only seen about 15 minutes of that show. That's disappointing. It looks pretty cool on the outside now, at least.

Back