• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Found Anything Yet, RJ...Shoo?

No, and neither would the Bible. Your simplification of Christianity only serves to show your simplicity.

I would expect that if Obama is a Christian (which he professes to be) that he would pray for guidance before making any important decision. And that he would use his full resources to make a wise decision. These resources include his education, his life experiences, his support staff, and his wife among others. I am of the firm belief that God is weaving a masterpiece quilt throughout all time, and that while all we see are individual strings, He sees the big picture. So asking him to reveal how certain strings work together is a wise and just move. How He reveals those nuggets of knowledge to us is His discretion. You are suggestion that direct revelation (such as God coming down in a clowd, or showing an answer in tea leaves) is how God speaks to man. When in fact that Bible (which I believe) is very clear that God's main source of revelation is His Holy Word and Prayer. We don't pray to change God's mind, we pray to change our hearts to conform to Him.

Hope that gives you some idea of where a Christian would come from when they say "I am going to pray for wisdom".

Awesome.

I wouldn't expect any Christian to say that. I'd expect him to say he planned to pray before making decisions about economic development and debt reduction. I'd accept that.

So if he just came out everyday and said, relax I'm praying about what to do, you'd give him a pass?

ONW....I said that to mean that I don't know and won't judge him. He professes to be a Christian so I take his word on it. Bush professed to be a Christian so I take his word on it. Now if I had a 1 on 1 conversation with either of them I would be able to make some sort of an informed decision, but outside of that I choose not to pick a side. Hopefully my post didn't come off as doubting Obama, but rather re-stating his public stance on Christianity.

There are way to many on my side of the aisle that would judge Obama because he supports abortion without judging a Republican for their 'lack of morality'. When it comes down to it we all would be left wanting if judged by the Bible, and that is the point of Jesus. We are unable to produce the proper standard, and so it was required that someone must stand in our place who could.

Anyway - didn't want you to misunderstand my stance regarding the Obama is a sleeper cell Muslim pretending to infiltrate us by posing a Christian tin foil hat brigade.

So if he just came out everyday and said, relax I'm praying about what to do, you'd give him a pass?

You are trying to simplify a complex decision. You assume that God does no require us to live and to use our faculties. Prayer is communication, plain and simple. That would be like suggesting that a basketball player scores two points by talking about it in the huddle or calling out a play on the court. Of course that huddle discussion with the coach is necessary but it doesn't score the points.

ONW....I said that to mean that I don't know and won't judge him. He professes to be a Christian so I take his word on it. Bush professed to be a Christian so I take his word on it. Now if I had a 1 on 1 conversation with either of them I would be able to make some sort of an informed decision, but outside of that I choose not to pick a side. Hopefully my post didn't come off as doubting Obama, but rather re-stating his public stance on Christianity.

There are way to many on my side of the aisle that would judge Obama because he supports abortion without judging a Republican for their 'lack of morality'. When it comes down to it we all would be left wanting if judged by the Bible, and that is the point of Jesus. We are unable to produce the proper standard, and so it was required that someone must stand in our place who could.

Anyway - didn't want you to misunderstand my stance regarding the Obama is a sleeper cell Muslim pretending to infiltrate us by posing a Christian tin foil hat brigade.

I did misunderstand and appreciate the clarification.

"In an email written in March 2008 she said that she had been praying for direction over the financial negotiations. "I have been praying for wisdom on this ... God will have to show me what to do on the people's budget because I don't yet know the right path ... He will show me though." "

I just don't believe that if Obama came out and said this was his strategy/faith people would accept it.

Of course not. I'd expect him to do something. But if he chose to spend time in prayerful contemplation before making difficult decisions, I'd have no problem with that .

This is the thing I don't get about "Christians". Why do you guys have so many litmus tests on who is and isn't a "Christian"?

With so many denominations, believing all different shades of the religion, why can't you just say,"We all believe in Jesus, but have differing views on the spefics"?

Rather than,"This person "professes" to be a "Christian" but because he isn't the same type of "Christian" I am, he isn't really a "Christian".

I wonder what people would say if I came out with the same statement, only instead, I was praying to the flying spaghetti monster for guidance.

Oh you christians. Such a funny bunch.

I wonder what people would say if I came out with the same statement, only instead, I was praying to the flying spaghetti monster for guidance.

Oh you christians. Such a funny bunch.

Typically nonsensical response.

Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell were on Larry King saying that Mother Teresa wasn't a "Christian" and wouldn't being going to heaven.

There are peopel here who say that some people who say they are "Christian" really aren't. I don't get it.

What an overwhelming of Jews would say to a Jew who said to others "Evern though your mother is Jews and you were bar mitzvahed, you aren't a Jew to me" is that "who do you think you are to tell others what they believe isn't right? Are you g-d?"

i am no palin fan but the media really embarrassed itself on this one.

their obsession with this woman borders on pathological.

The "media" is also obsessed with Snooki...

whats your point?

The "media" is also obsessed with Snooki...

whats your point?

For real, after 7 days of hearing about the details of Weiner's cockshots we needed a break.

Shot, I haven't watched any news media the last few days. What are you talking about?

Shot, I haven't watched any news media the last few days. What are you talking about?

I have watched the news media, and it really hasn't been discussed.

Talking about the fact that on Friday afternoon both the New York Times and Washington Post were soliciting readers to review the Palin documents and help the papers flag items of interest--and many media outlets were rushing to post everything online. NYT actually liveblogged the papers being read/reported on. breathless coverage of 24,000 pages, mostly about--as Politico notes, "the mundane business of government."

this a few weeks after the national media literally chased her bus around teh eastern seaboard.

who's the stupid one here? enough already.

Talking about the fact that on Friday afternoon both the New York Times and Washington Post were soliciting readers to review the Palin documents and help the papers flag items of interest--and many media outlets were rushing to post everything online. NYT actually liveblogged the papers being read/reported on. breathless coverage of 24,000 pages, mostly about--as Politico notes, "the mundane business of government."

this a few weeks after the national media literally chased her bus around teh eastern seaboard.

who's the stupid one here? enough already.

She is.

Back