• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Found Anything Yet, RJ...Shoo?

Just to remind us what we're arguing about. You really take issue with this? She's not saying the solution is praying. She's praying in order to receive the solution.

Just saying it's political suicide.

So its not OK to privately email someone and ask them to pray to your god for help in making tough decisions?

You atheists are getting a little big for your bridges, as my redneck father would put it. And this is coming from someone who is practicably an atheist himself.

Hell I'd consider declaring myself one if you all weren't so damn annoying and needy.

Really, so if she was praying to Allah or a Pagan diety you'de have no problem with that?

Um no. I'm pretty sure I'd be an bigot if I did. Come on ONW this is a fucking ridiculous position to take.

Just to remind us what we're arguing about. You really take issue with this? She's not saying the solution is praying. She's praying in order to receive the solution.

Ok but where does the buck stop? At what point should she be held accountable for giving rational economic justification for the decisions she makes regarding the economy?!

I understand that these comments are being taken from their original context of work emails (with an office/social atmosphere few of us are privy to), and therefore probably not subject to the kind of scrutiny most people like me are giving them. Nonetheless, this is scary stuff, at least to somebody like me. I wouldn't portend to claim a policy-making/leadership position if I weren't fully prepared to intellectually defend my decisions, rather than deferring to faith.

I mean, shit man, I have faith beyond reason in Wake athletics, but I don't go blowing all my income betting on my feelings.

Its like some of you haven't lived in our society. It makes me understand how someone like Marx came into fruition. All books/theory, no common sense or understanding of our society, as well as the modern context of religion.

(And yes that rant makes no sense to anybody but me)

that religious views can't be discussed in work/government correspondence

I'm saying that if an executive walked to a podium and answer questions about the deficit or unemployment with "I'm praying about it" they would be out of a job.

I'm saying that if an executive walked to a podium and answer questions about the deficit or unemployment with "I'm praying about it" they would be out of a job.

Seriously? That actually does happen. Maybe not in Seattle or Brooklyn, but it does happen. A lot.

Its like some of you haven't lived in our society. It makes me understand how someone like Marx came into fruition. All books/theory, no common sense or understanding of our society, as well as the modern context of religion.

(And yes that rant makes no sense to anybody but me)

What society have I been living in?

What society have I been living in?

Apparently not the one where "thanking god" and "looking to god for guidance" is as commonplace as it actually is.

And sorry to get personal Townie. Your my boy, no disrespect is meant.

Seriously? That actually does happen. Maybe not in Seattle or Brooklyn, but it does happen. A lot.

Presidential debate, question, how are you going to fix the economy? Answer 1: pray Answer 2: something that sounds like a plan.

Presidential debate, question, how are you going to fix the economy? Answer 1: pray Answer 2: something that sounds like a plan.

I'm pretty sure that every president of my lifetime has talked about praying for guidance. That includes our current president. Yes they have to develop a plan based on their ideology but they all credit a relationship with G-O-D in assisting them.

Apparently not the one where "thanking god" and "looking to god for guidance" is as commonplace as it actually is.

And sorry to get personal Townie. Your my boy, no disrespect is meant.

I understand. I don't look down on her for looking wherever she has to look to get hard answers. These aren't simple problems that can necessarily always be given concrete solutions. Regardless of these things, there has to be a measure of accountability for your policy-making. I just haven't seen enough evidence of her policy implementation as success to buy into this line of logic.

I'm pretty sure that every president of my lifetime has talked about praying for guidance. That includes our current president. Yes they have to develop a plan based on their ideology but they all credit a relationship with G-O-D in assisting them.

I don't question that, I'm saying Rush Limbaugh would murder Obama if he said his plan to fix the economy was to pray.

I understand. I don't look down on her for looking wherever she has to look to get hard answers. These aren't simple problems that can necessarily always be given concrete solutions. Regardless of these things, there has to be a measure of accountability for your policy-making. I just haven't seen enough evidence of her policy implementation as success to buy into this line of logic.

Trust me if this was just a Palin bashing thread I'd happily join in. The whole "god has no place in politics" argument just got me riled up.

Anyways I go to get to bed. Night yall.

Trust me if this was just a Palin bashing thread I'd happily join in. The whole "god has no place in politics" argument just got me riled up.Anyways I go to get to bed. Night yall.

Sorry you got that opinion of what I was questioning. I wasn't questioning god in politics, i was questioning the ability of someone who just states they are going to wait for divine intervention to relevant topics to win an election.

ONW continues to miss the point. She isn't saying that God is going to write the answer on the ground in a giant lightning strike. She is asking for guidance. As someone who has prayed that same prayer sometimes that guidance comes from an advisor, sometimes from someone you least expect, sometimes it comes from a door closing that you would like to walk through. The point isn't that God is going to write the answer on your fogged mirror. The point is that you are recognizing that there is a being that is wiser than you, that sees the entire quilt while you just stare at a mess of threads.

This doesn't mean that you cease to use your mental faculties, your education, your advisors, your confidants when making a decision. What this means is that you recognize first and foremost that God Almighty does exist, and that He is in control, not you. For anyone who doesn't believe in God this is a pretty awful statement, but our country clearly allows for freedom of religion, so to condemn someone exercising that freedom of religion while doing his/her job is shallow and shortsighted.

The opposite (and equally ludicrous) to your point of view is that a Christian society would REQUIRE you, as an atheist, to pray to God before every decision. If you didn't then you weren't fit for office. The idea of prohibiting someone from praying who truly believes in an Almighty God is the equivalent of choking someone who believes he needs to breath. There isn't any room inbetween. If there is a God, then it is suicide not to have an open line of communication with that God (which is clearly what the Bible is proposing).

ONW - you continue to ignore the fact that you are over simplifying the process of prayer. You have this idea that if someone prays for guidance they automatically lose all other mental faculties. The Bible never demands that...in fact it is quite the opposite.

ONW continues to miss the point. She isn't saying that God is going to write the answer on the ground in a giant lightning strike. She is asking for guidance. As someone who has prayed that same prayer sometimes that guidance comes from an advisor, sometimes from someone you least expect, sometimes it comes from a door closing that you would like to walk through. The point isn't that God is going to write the answer on your fogged mirror. The point is that you are recognizing that there is a being that is wiser than you, that sees the entire quilt while you just stare at a mess of threads.

This doesn't mean that you cease to use your mental faculties, your education, your advisors, your confidants when making a decision. What this means is that you recognize first and foremost that God Almighty does exist, and that He is in control, not you. For anyone who doesn't believe in God this is a pretty awful statement, but our country clearly allows for freedom of religion, so to condemn someone exercising that freedom of religion while doing his/her job is shallow and shortsighted.

The opposite (and equally ludicrous) to your point of view is that a Christian society would REQUIRE you, as an atheist, to pray to God before every decision. If you didn't then you weren't fit for office. The idea of prohibiting someone from praying who truly believes in an Almighty God is the equivalent of choking someone who believes he needs to breath. There isn't any room inbetween. If there is a God, then it is suicide not to have an open line of communication with that God (which is clearly what the Bible is proposing).

ONW - you continue to ignore the fact that you are over simplifying the process of prayer. You have this idea that if someone prays for guidance they automatically lose all other mental faculties. The Bible never demands that...in fact it is quite the opposite.

well put

Typically nonsensical response.

Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell were on Larry King saying that Mother Teresa wasn't a "Christian" and wouldn't being going to heaven.

There are peopel here who say that some people who say they are "Christian" really aren't. I don't get it.

What an overwhelming of Jews would say to a Jew who said to others "Evern though your mother is Jews and you were bar mitzvahed, you aren't a Jew to me" is that "who do you think you are to tell others what they believe isn't right? Are you g-d?"

Are you calling your own response nonsensical?

Actually, I think you are making a valid point but it is lost in the midst of the poor spelling and missing words.

Back