• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fox and Hound closes, citing reduced sales

Hope the one in Mayfaire down here stays open. Pretty good spot to get a drink or bite to eat before/after seeing a movie.

Tap Room is not what it once was.

They tried to make it classy. They got rid of the sweet make out couch. It's a shell of its former self.

The Tap.

Tap Room is not what it once was.

They tried to make it classy. They got rid of the sweet make out couch. It's a shell of its former self.

The Tap.

RIP dollar drafts

Thirsty Thursdays at the Warthogs > Dollar Drafts at Taproom > Opera House > Burke Street Pizza (and maybe a hotdog from the guy out front too)

that was the life

Bummer. Black Bear, Fox and Hound, what other small haunts have closed since 2000? West End Tap Room still open? Opera House? Freddie B's?

Yep, yep, nope

But Tap Room is nothing like it was back in 2000 (or at least I assume - it's sure nothing like it was in '03-'06). While still open, it's a completely different bar.

yeah, i've only been there twice ever. once in 2008, it was meh, and once maybe last year, it was a bunch of 40-something buenies hanging out

Black Bear has become a new place, which I really enjoyed when I was at Wake for HC this past year.

And that is why I won't go back. Their female bartender hated me. Thursday was often my night to dd. I would go, shoot pool, and drink water. I got cursed several times for trying to buy water instead of alcohol.

They have a few (count:two) female bartenders if memory serves. I remember one being standoffish, but the other was pretty cordial.

Bummer. Black Bear, Fox and Hound, what other small haunts have closed since 2000? West End Tap Room still open? Opera House? Freddie B's?

F&H wasn't a "small haunt". That was it's issue IMO, both in Winston and in Charlotte. Way too much space (rent) that sat empty for all but big events/games.

Opera is still open. Freddie's died ages ago. West End was bought by some guys I went to high school with. They added liquor and it seems to be a popular place with folks I know who have moved back to Winston after school. I haven't been by there since the change.

F&H wasn't a "small haunt". That was it's issue IMO, both in Winston and in Charlotte. Way too much space (rent) that sat empty for all but big events/games.

Opera is still open. Freddie's died ages ago. West End was bought by some guys I went to high school with. They added liquor and it seems to be a popular place with folks I know who have moved back to Winston after school. I haven't been by there since the change.

For me the change was the fact that the four times I went post college, police were there to arrest someone on gun charges.

Too late for this guy

bar-rescue-14.jpg

Yeah and we went on Tuesday nights. This was back in 2008/2009. After that we decided either we were bad luck or the clientele had changed. Either way we never went back.

Back