• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank Beamer

1b56a12dec0a21f7b9e27a4488aca8d2.jpg

:rulz:

I think naming Bud Foster as the replacement would be a mistake. They need to get an innovative young offensive mind in there.

Very true and it is not like the Bud Foster defenses have been lighting it up recently. Waiting another year to give Beamer the Bristol game is just prolonging the misery. He needs to get out at the end of the season, gracefully and realize his age is working against him, just like it was with Bowden, Spurrier, Paterno and the rest that get past 65+.

Very true and it is not like the Bud Foster defenses have been lighting it up recently. Waiting another year to give Beamer the Bristol game is just prolonging the misery. He needs to get out at the end of the season, gracefully and realize his age is working against him, just like it was with Bowden, Spurrier, Paterno and the rest that get past 65+.

I agree with that, keeping a coach because of some special game in the future is stupid. I don't care what the coach has done in the past, not saying a coach can't build up some equity, when it becomes clear that making a change for program is best for the program you do it. Drove me crazy with all the talk about Paterno's or Bowden's past success meant they should've been allowed to coach as long as they wanted, no it just means they needed a better retirement party.

I think naming Bud Foster as the replacement would be a mistake. They need to get an innovative young offensive mind in there.

There is a reason why he is still an assistant at VT. For him not to get a HC job by now, especially when his defenses were some of the best in the country says something IMO.

Rumor around the program is Foster has some unsavory skeletons in his closet. He's happy being a behind the scenes and out of the spotlight guy.

I've heard some troubles with the bottle..

Bottle and live women is what I've heard. Tech has been awfully mediocre the last few years, but this year they were supposed to be pretty good but have been derailed by injuries. I think Frank and Bud are back next year, but probably for only another year or 2 after this year. Frank is still beloved in Blacksburg. And no, I don't think Shane will be the next coach. They'll get a decent to good hire from outside the family. The bigger question is who will UVA be able to get this year after 15 years of Groh! and London. A few of my UVA friends think they'll get a good name, but I think their program has been badly devalued for too long.

They were talking about Beamer with a local reporter on Richmond sports talk radio this morning. Essentially, Beamer is now a recruiting liability because everyone knows he won't be there for 4 more years. Most top kids don't want to go into that. Hats off to Spurrier for admitting he became a 70 year old recruiting liability and bowing out for the sake of the program. Beamer should finish the season and retire. If he does, he'll be a legend there forever, and probably have the field named after him. If he fights to stay, there may be significant tarnishing of his legacy as things are heading down a slippery slope. And if UVa gets a nice new hire, tired old Beamer and VT will have that much more difficulty recruiting and winning. I have no idea who UVa may get. They may talk to Clawson. Clawson was the real reason London had success at UR since he won a championship with Clawson's players. The AD knows Clawson well and the job he did at UR and Bowling Green. I hope Clawson was serious about wanting to stay at Wake for a long time. He will turn it around, but the cupboard was left pretty bare by Grobe. We've really got a good one in Clawson and hope he stays.

They were talking about Beamer with a local reporter on Richmond sports talk radio this morning. Essentially, Beamer is now a recruiting liability because everyone knows he won't be there for 4 more years. Most top kids don't want to go into that. Hats off to Spurrier for admitting he became a 70 year old recruiting liability and bowing out for the sake of the program. Beamer should finish the season and retire. If he does, he'll be a legend there forever, and probably have the field named after him. If he fights to stay, there may be significant tarnishing of his legacy as things are heading down a slippery slope. And if UVa gets a nice new hire, tired old Beamer and VT will have that much more difficulty recruiting and winning. I have no idea who UVa may get. They may talk to Clawson. Clawson was the real reason London had success at UR since he won a championship with Clawson's players. The AD knows Clawson well and the job he did at UR and Bowling Green. I hope Clawson was serious about wanting to stay at Wake for a long time. He will turn it around, but the cupboard was left pretty bare by Grobe. We've really got a good one in Clawson and hope he stays.

When was the last time a P5 head coach left for a team in the same conference that they didn't have some sort of past tie to (e.g., Sarkisian from Washington to USC)? I can't imagine Clawson leaving Wake to go to UVA. Is that really an upgrade since he would be going from one rebuilding project to another?

When was the last time a P5 head coach left for a team in the same conference that they didn't have some sort of past tie to (e.g., Sarkisian from Washington to USC)? I can't imagine Clawson leaving Wake to go to UVA. Is that really an upgrade since he would be going from one rebuilding project to another?

Tom O'Brien from BC to NC State?

Also, Houston Nutt from Arkansas to Ole Miss. I guess it's more common than I thought.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Spurrier was essentially the same age when the season started six weeks prior and he didn't quit then. He quit when he found out his team stunk. He quit before Dabo beat him about the face and neck with a rusty axe. I'm a fan of all the HBC did to make the game enjoyable, but what he did this season was bush league.

Bottle and live women is what I've heard. Tech has been awfully mediocre the last few years, but this year they were supposed to be pretty good but have been derailed by injuries. I think Frank and Bud are back next year, but probably for only another year or 2 after this year. Frank is still beloved in Blacksburg. And no, I don't think Shane will be the next coach. They'll get a decent to good hire from outside the family. The bigger question is who will UVA be able to get this year after 15 years of Groh! and London. A few of my UVA friends think they'll get a good name, but I think their program has been badly devalued for too long.

I think they'll get somebody great. If I were an ACC A.D., I would find a talented person who got run out of the SEC by their crazy fans. Cutcliffe isn't a one off; look what Chizik has done in Chapel Hill.

The UVA job might be the most underrated job in the country. I love going to games there, the campus is amazing, the school is fantastic and you've got the 757 on one end of the State and DC/NOVA on the other for recruiting and a Coastal Division prime for the taking. No reason UVA shouldn't be a Top 25 program every year. There are some garbage jobs in the ACC (State, B.C., Syracuse, Pittsburgh all come to mind) but UVA should be able to get a big name. The fans aren't stupid like Texas/SEC/USC, the expectations are more than manageable and whoever takes that job should fill the void left by the Beamer collapse.

I think they'll get somebody great. If I were an ACC A.D., I would find a talented person who got run out of the SEC by their crazy fans. Cutcliffe isn't a one off; look what Chizik has done in Chapel Hill.

The UVA job might be the most underrated job in the country. I love going to games there, the campus is amazing, the school is fantastic and you've got the 757 on one end of the State and DC/NOVA on the other for recruiting and a Coastal Division prime for the taking. No reason UVA shouldn't be a Top 25 program every year. There are some garbage jobs in the ACC (State, B.C., Syracuse, Pittsburgh all come to mind) but UVA should be able to get a big name. The fans aren't stupid like Texas/SEC/USC, the expectations are more than manageable and whoever takes that job should fill the void left by the Beamer collapse.

I agree with this. UVA has a dominant program (as in National Championship level) in those sports where they have hired a solid coach (men and women's soccer, baseball, men's and women's lacrosse, tennis); such an easy school to recruit to. UVA is a better school than UNC, and it's facilities are ridiculous. The Commonwealth of Virginia has a lot of talent, and they naturally attract anyone in DC/Philly/NY/NJ and can also pull some talent in NC and even GA/FL. A good coach can win anywhere, but it would be easy to attract talent and win at UVA. With all that said, I don't think UVA would target Clawson. Just bad form (even though there are exceptions) to poach a coach from another conference team, and while I love Clawson and remain confident that he will get it done at WF, I think UVA would have a hard time selling a Clawson hire to their fanbase given his record over his first two years at WF will be something like 6-18. London will have had a better record than that.

UVa is a good job, and there is no reason they can't be good all the time. And their rebuilding shouldn't take long. They've got some nice pieces all around. Beamer has really hurt them over the years. George Welsh went through what Beamer is going through now and stepped aside at the right time. He had great success recruiting in NoVa and the beach, and even stole some great ones from under Beamer's nose. Ronde and Tiki Barber out of Roanoke come to mind. Al Groh was not well-liked or received much of anywhere, especially the beach, and things went south. He was probably going to get fired by the Jets in short order when he took the Va job. Mike London was just a bad hire. He started with some decent traction in recruiting, but just can't get it done.

I don't have any idea what they will do, but expect they will ask to talk to Clawson. He's really doing a nice job recruiting in a short period of time. Trying to think what other young, up and coming coaches are out there.

Back