• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank Beamer

I agree with this. UVA has a dominant program (as in National Championship level) in those sports where they have hired a solid coach (men and women's soccer, baseball, men's and women's lacrosse, tennis); such an easy school to recruit to. UVA is a better school than UNC, and it's facilities are ridiculous. The Commonwealth of Virginia has a lot of talent, and they naturally attract anyone in DC/Philly/NY/NJ and can also pull some talent in NC and even GA/FL. A good coach can win anywhere, but it would be easy to attract talent and win at UVA. With all that said, I don't think UVA would target Clawson. Just bad form (even though there are exceptions) to poach a coach from another conference team, and while I love Clawson and remain confident that he will get it done at WF, I think UVA would have a hard time selling a Clawson hire to their fanbase given his record over his first two years at WF will be something like 6-18. London will have had a better record than that.

Can't disagree with any of that, other than if they decide Clawson is their guy, I don't think poaching in the league is an issue. And yes, they will have to sell his record at Wake and why it isn't good.

I'm very bias and love Clawson from when he was down the street from me at UR. He is going to be successful wherever he is, and hope it is Wake. He's a special coach. Just wasn't left with much to work with when he started.

UVA won't go after Clawson. They're not hiring another U of Richmond coach.

UVa will hire someone good. It won't be Clawson.

I think you're more more like to see someone like Matt Rhule.

I think they'll get somebody great. If I were an ACC A.D., I would find a talented person who got run out of the SEC by their crazy fans. Cutcliffe isn't a one off; look what Chizik has done in Chapel Hill.

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to...

f62a5c0479823c991dd7f4097f1f4e69_400x400.jpeg

so in this thread people speculate whether the second worst program in the ACC would poach the head coach of the worst program in the ACC?

They were talking about Beamer with a local reporter on Richmond sports talk radio this morning. Essentially, Beamer is now a recruiting liability because everyone knows he won't be there for 4 more years. Most top kids don't want to go into that. Hats off to Spurrier for admitting he became a 70 year old recruiting liability and bowing out for the sake of the program. Beamer should finish the season and retire. If he does, he'll be a legend there forever, and probably have the field named after him. If he fights to stay, there may be significant tarnishing of his legacy as things are heading down a slippery slope. And if UVa gets a nice new hire, tired old Beamer and VT will have that much more difficulty recruiting and winning. I have no idea who UVa may get. They may talk to Clawson. Clawson was the real reason London had success at UR since he won a championship with Clawson's players. The AD knows Clawson well and the job he did at UR and Bowling Green. I hope Clawson was serious about wanting to stay at Wake for a long time. He will turn it around, but the cupboard was left pretty bare by Grobe. We've really got a good one in Clawson and hope he stays.

When did Clawson claim he wanted to stay a long time at Wake? My understanding is that we are just the next stepping stone to rebuild before moving up to a bigger gig. #theprocess

When did Clawson claim he wanted to stay a long time at Wake? My understanding is that we are just the next stepping stone to rebuild before moving up to a bigger gig. #theprocess

He said something to effect in his press conference when he was hired. Most coaches probably do.

Someone quick post the 0-0 Beamer celebration pic.

Name a coach who would take the Virginia Tech job if Beamer stepped down tomorrow. There are a lot of negatives to that job, especially coming off of a legend's perceived ouster. Their AD is going to earn his check in the next 18 months.

Name a coach who would take the Virginia Tech job if Beamer stepped down tomorrow. There are a lot of negatives to that job, especially coming off of a legend's perceived ouster. Their AD is going to earn his check in the next 18 months.

It will be very interesting to see how they do post-Beamer. He basically built it, they did have some success with Bill Dooley pre-Beamer, but Beamer really built Va. Tech into a national program. Although you could probably say the same thing about Bobby Bowden and FSU, Va. Tech differs in that the Hokies have never won national titles and geographically don't have the same advantage. FSU has obviously done well post-Bowden, Va. Tech may be a bit more challenging of a situation coming in after a legend.

It will be very interesting to see how they do post-Beamer. He basically built it, they did have some success with Bill Dooley pre-Beamer, but Beamer really built Va. Tech into a national program. Although you could probably say the same thing about Bobby Bowden and FSU, Va. Tech differs in that the Hokies have never won national titles and geographically don't have the same advantage. FSU has obviously done well post-Bowden, Va. Tech may be a bit more challenging of a situation coming in after a legend.

My thoughts exactly. It's one thing to recruit in the shadows of the legend in the panhandle of Florida and quite another to do so on the downslope of a hill out of West Virginia.

I don't think VT would have that much trouble hiring a football coach. You're talking about the same AD that got Buzz Williams to take a basketball job there which was a much more difficult position to fill.

Both UVa and VT will be hiring about the same time. Only one team can thrive - the one that recruits the beach the best.

http://thecarrollnews.com/opinion/719/beamer-deserves-better

"If the rumors coming out of Blacksburg are true, there could be an announcement within the next week or so that this will be Beamer’s final year at the helm of the Hokies. If it’s true, I just hope the decision is that of the Carroll County native and not one forced upon him by the athletic department. If anybody deserves to go out on their own terms, it’s Beamer."

Back