• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank Beamer

http://thecarrollnews.com/opinion/719/beamer-deserves-better

"If the rumors coming out of Blacksburg are true, there could be an announcement within the next week or so that this will be Beamer’s final year at the helm of the Hokies. If it’s true, I just hope the decision is that of the Carroll County native and not one forced upon him by the athletic department. If anybody deserves to go out on their own terms, it’s Beamer."

"Simply put, Hokie fans should be ashamed of the way they’ve been behaving lately." - That is so spot on. I just want to scream at the Hokie fans that are destroying Beamer. I told one the other day "I would give anything for HALF of the success they have had in the past 20 years". Whatever they decide to do, I hope it doesn't turn in to a dumpster fire and feelings get hurt.

"Frank Beamer is currently the winningest active coach in Division I FBS.[6]" Has his time come, maybe, but VT fans should build a memorial for Beamer not trash him.

I lived in Blacksburg when Virginia Tech fans wanted to trash Beamer ASAP. They finally relented when the school decided to give him another year, and Beamer turned things around just one step ahead of the posse. He probably wont be able to turn it around again but he should still be given the chance to leave on his own terms.

I don't understand the concept of coaches earning the right to "leave on their own terms". Nobody else in any profession in the world gets that privilege, except maybe the Pope. If your job performance is shit and it's hurting your employer, the employer needs to make the right decision for the institution/business and move you on (after giving notice of the problem and a reasonable chance to address it). Wake Forest fans, of all people, should have learned this lesson over the past decade.

I don't understand the concept of coaches earning the right to "leave on their own terms". Nobody else in any profession in the world gets that privilege, except maybe the Pope. If your job performance is shit and it's hurting your employer, the employer needs to make the right decision for the institution/business and move you on (after giving notice of the problem and a reasonable chance to address it). Wake Forest fans, of all people, should have learned this lesson over the past decade.

Exactly. I mean what is somebody saying when they say that, if Beamer wants to coach till he's 90 and being rolled out there in a wheelchair with oxygen bottle in tow, that's how it should be? Having prior success can buy you some time, but it can't buy you the right to go out go out whenever you want if you aren't performing. If you aren't performing and it becomes clear it's better for the program to go in a different direction the only thing a lot of prior success earns you is better parting gift.

ffs the entire athletic program was built on the money he generated over a great career. Independent to the Big East to the ACC packing a stadium that didn't exist in it's current form before him. Maybe it's time to move on, but I'm not sure how any VT fan has animosity towards him.

ffs the entire athletic program was built on the money he generated over a great career. Independent to the Big East to the ACC packing a stadium that didn't exist in it's current form before him. Maybe it's time to move on, but I'm not sure how any VT fan has animosity towards him.

I certainly agree they should not have animosity, but I don't agree he's earned the right to go out on "his terms" if those terms aren't reasonable. Heck, Bobby Bowden did at least as much for FSU, but "his terms" became unreasonable and the school had to make a decision to do what was best for the program. Hopefully Beamer will realize it's best for him to move on and do it for their program.

Same as us with Coach Grobe. If your coach is not winning games at a level you believe to be reasonable for your program (and VT hasn't for a few years) you are not going to be happy with the coach.

Coach Grobe was the best coach Wake has ever had. It doesn't change the fact that he didn't handle things as he should have his last 4 + years at Wake.

Substitute Beamer for Grobe and VT for Wake, and the sentence makes just as much sense.

No, Frank is and always will be beloved in Blacksburg. But this run of mediocrity is taking the program down at a time when they should be able to get most everything they want out of VA high schools. I think last year, UVA and VT only got something like 15-16 of the top 30 in the state. During the good times, that number was more like 23-25.

But another thing to consider is timing. One's initial thought would probably be that, because UVA is firing London this year, you'd want to nudge Beamer out (like UVA did to Welsh) now so you're in a position to pony up more $$ than UVA does to get the better coaching prospect. But the problem with that in this particular season is you have some high profile schools like USC, USC, Miami and likely Tejas also searching for coaches. With that in mind, it might be better to wait another year or 2. I see it cutting both ways.

Reactions: ONW
Same as us with Coach Grobe. If your coach is not winning games at a level you believe to be reasonable for your program (and VT hasn't for a few years) you are not going to be happy with the coach.

Coach Grobe was the best coach Wake has ever had. It doesn't change the fact that he didn't handle things as he should have his last 4 + years at Wake.

Substitute Beamer for Grobe and VT for Wake, and the sentence makes just as much sense.

In general, I agree.

In specific, Beamer beat the eventual national champion last year on their home turf. Grobe struggled with directional midmajors for his final three years.

The question becomes how much time do you give a coach to turn things around? I think you could make a reasonable case that we held on to Grobe a year too long but firing him much sooner than that doesn't seem very reasonable. Granted I think our program has to show more patience than your typical SEC program.

This

you're too young

How well is the old coach recruiting? More patience can be given a good recruiter. The worst part of the end of Grobe's tenure was the lack of recruiting. It will take about 4 years to recover from that.

Agree with all these observations. Grobe and Beamer both were D1 athletes, and they aren't going to quit until someone else throws in the towel for them so to speak.

"I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way" sums it up for me.

Agree with all these observations. Grobe and Beamer both were D1 athletes, and they aren't going to quit until someone else throws in the towel for them so to speak.

"I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way" sums it up for me.

We all laughed at the clumsy power struggle that was Jimbo's Coach-in-waiting-hood at Florida State. That arrangement might have proven to be the American Justice system of athletic administration strategies: worst in the world except all others.

American Justice is the name of a TV show.

How well is the old coach recruiting? More patience can be given a good recruiter. The worst part of the end of Grobe's tenure was the lack of recruiting. It will take about 4 years to recover from that.

Looks like a good class so far this year. Nothing great.

Totally agree.

Beamer has told his staff that he is retiring after the season.

Sticking around for the race track game was kind of weird to me.

Back