• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank Beamer

Richt has the #1 QB in the nation coming in next year. I doubt he's going anywhere.

He has to make it to signing day with him. Other coaches will use Richt's hot seat status to try to pry the kid loose.

Not in the last decade it's not. The U has no fans, very weak booster support, they aren't nearly as popular as they used to be among high school kids (at least judging from the gear high school kids wear in Florida) and the NCAA gives the program a daily rectal exam. VT has great fans and improving facilities. Somebody could do a lot in Blacksburg. The U is history.

Al Golden recruited better than VT every year during his tenure despite the fact he still has never won a bowl game. Hell he even recruited better than Clemson more years than not. Any decent head coach should recruit a t-15 recruiting class every year based on Miami's location alone.

Also that whole Nevin Shapiro thing is over and I don't think Miami should worry about the NCAA given the NCAA's treatment towards UNC.

Al Golden recruited better than VT every year during his tenure despite the fact he still has never won a bowl game. Hell he even recruited better than Clemson more years than not. Any decent head coach should recruit a t-15 recruiting class every year based on Miami's location alone.

Also that whole Nevin Shapiro thing is over and I don't think Miami should worry about the NCAA given the NCAA's treatment towards UNC.

Hell of a lot easier to convince a highly ranked kid to spend three years in coral gables than blacksburg

it's also right smack dab in a hotbed of hs talent

Never let recruits steer the decision on a coach. It's almost never worth it.

Recruiting has never been Richt's, or UGA's, problem. If UGA stays with Richt, it won't be because of a single recruiting class, much less a single recruit.

Right but it seems like UGA's biggest problem is that they don't have a QB and Eason should fix that problem. I mean this has happened before where UGA is terrible then Richt brings in a great qb recruit and it fixes the problem.

Right but it seems like UGA's biggest problem is that they don't have a QB and Eason should fix that problem. I mean this has happened before where UGA is terrible then Richt brings in a great qb recruit and it fixes the problem.

I mean, it's not like Mark Richt hasn't had great quarterback play in the past. Matthew Stafford was the number one overall pick in the NFL draft, and Aaron Murray is the SEC's all-time leader in touchdowns and passing yards. Those Georgia teams produced no SEC or national championships. The last time Georgia won any championship was when DJ Shockley was the quarterback. If anyone at UGA keeps Mark Richt for another year because of any recruit, even a great quarterback recruit, thinking that will somehow make the difference, then they are deluding themselves.

Looking over the top VA recruits, not seeing many VA and VT commits. That has to be concerning to both ADs

Yep, Big reason Beamer is retiring and London will be shown the door barring winning out. Which will not happen.

I mean, it's not like Mark Richt hasn't had great quarterback play in the past. Matthew Stafford was the number one overall pick in the NFL draft, and Aaron Murray is the SEC's all-time leader in touchdowns and passing yards. Those Georgia teams produced no SEC or national championships. The last time Georgia won any championship was when DJ Shockley was the quarterback. If anyone at UGA keeps Mark Richt for another year because of any recruit, even a great quarterback recruit, thinking that will somehow make the difference, then they are deluding themselves.

To be fair, Aaron Murray was about 10 yards from a SECCG win and a National Title berth

To be fair, Aaron Murray was about 10 yards from a SECCG win and a National Title berth

I am being fair.

hello-herm-o.gif

Haha national championship. They've only won once before and that was when they had a superhuman playing RB for them. I'd agree with you if there was a Urban Meyer or Nick Saban type waiting in the wings just begging to come to UGA but there's not one. You have to give Richt credit where credit is due. He brought in both Stafford and Murray which isn't an easy thing to do due to their recruiting ranking and they were both out of state. Also he's been close... damn close actually to another SEC championship and a shot at the the national championship. I don't see any reason why he can't one day lead his team to a national championship.

The idea that UGA can just hire another coach and he'll do better than Richt is so dumb and base on sheer naivete only. If they fire Richt, the scenario to what will happen next is easily predictable and has been seen plenty of times before. Carr-Michigan, Solich-Nebraska, Brown-Texas, Fullmer-Tenn are all great examples of what happens when you fire a coach due to unreal expectations. If they fire Richt then Eason will decommit and the next coach will come in without a qb and will struggle immensely.

Haha national championship. They've only won once before and that was when they had a superhuman playing RB for them. I'd agree with you if there was a Urban Meyer or Nick Saban type waiting in the wings just begging to come to UGA but there's not one. You have to give Richt credit where credit is due. He brought in both Stafford and Murray which isn't an easy thing to do due to their recruiting ranking and they were both out of state. Also he's been close... damn close actually to another SEC championship and a shot at the the national championship. I don't see any reason why he can't one day lead his team to a national championship.

The idea that UGA can just hire another coach and he'll do better than Richt is so dumb and base on sheer naivete only. If they fire Richt, the scenario to what will happen next is easily predictable and has been seen plenty of times before. Carr-Michigan, Solich-Nebraska, Brown-Texas, Fullmer-Tenn are all great examples of what happens when you fire a coach due to unreal expectations. If they fire Richt then Eason will decommit and the next coach will come in without a qb and will struggle immensely.

I'm not sure what you think you're agreeing or disagreeing with. I agree with most of what you've just said. My only contention has been that UGA will not make a decision about Mark Richt based upon next year's recruiting class, much less a single recruit, which was in reply to your assertion that Richt will be the coach for UGA in 2016 because of the #1 QB recruit commiting to UGA. Your retort to that was to point out that a QB may be the only missing piece for Richt, and there's where we differ, apparently. As I've pointed out, Richt has had excellent QB play in the past, and still only has a couple of SEC championship to show for it, both of which were awhile ago.

To go further, I think we've learned everything about Mark Richt that we're going to learn. He's been at UGA since 2001, which I think is plenty large enough of a sample size. I don't believe that he's suddently going to reinvent himself into a championship coach, nor do I think that he's just one special player away from winning the whole thing. We've seen Richt's ceiling, and we've probably seen his floor too, so the only question now is whether or not UGA is happy with that spectrum.

Your point about firing the good-but-not-great coach is exactly what UGA's conundrum is. The issue is that UGA's fanbase believes it deserves championships. Whether or not their history is worthy of those expectations is largely beside the point; the expectations exist nonetheless. At this point, if they were to keep Richt, UGA's administration is either 1) not in agreement with its fanbases' goals or 2) woefully blind to how far Richt can take UGA.

I've also heard the same and from several different people.

Rich Rod left WVU after declaring it to be his dream job then proceeded to have NCAA issues at Michigan. Not a great fit for the Hokies, although it would add a lot of interest when the schools resume their nasty rivalry in a couple of years.

If you are UGA you have to ask yourself would you rather be 9-3/10-2 most years, 11-1 occasionally like when the planets line up and you own the east by beating Florida but don't have to worry about Bama/LSU out of the west, or rolling the dice on someone new to get that 2nd title hat has eluded you for about 35 years ad take the chances of going back to the Ray Goff years where you sucked.

Same as us with Coach Grobe. If your coach is not winning games at a level you believe to be reasonable for your program (and VT hasn't for a few years) you are not going to be happy with the coach.

Coach Grobe was the best coach Wake has ever had. It doesn't change the fact that he didn't handle things as he should have his last 4 + years at Wake.

Substitute Beamer for Grobe and VT for Wake, and the sentence makes just as much sense.

Grobe did not do for Wake what Beamer did for Virginia Tech. Wake is a charter member of the ACC and had a nationally relevant sports program (basketball) for decades before Grobe. Grobe's success was a blip compared to Beamer's.

Rich Rod left WVU after declaring it to be his dream job then proceeded to have NCAA issues at Michigan. Not a great fit for the Hokies, although it would add a lot of interest when the schools resume their nasty rivalry in a couple of years.

Babcock (VT AD) and Rich Rod were together at WVU. Babcock has said he wants someone with head coaching experience. Everyone he has brought (coaches and administrators) to B'burg is someone he was previously with. There are too many insiders who are saying Rodriguez for me to think it's a smokescreen. Also, supposedly they will make Foster Asst Head Coach and let him run the defense while Rodriguez handles the offense.

Edit: Buzz Williams and Whit Babcock had not worked together previously. Sorry to miswrite.

Last edited:
Hell of a lot easier to convince a highly ranked kid to spend three years in coral gables than blacksburg

it's also right smack dab in a hotbed of hs talent

Depends on where the kid is from. Country boys like the mountains and cooler weather.

Babcock (VT AD) and Rich Rod were together at WVU. Babcock has said he wants someone with head coaching experience. Everyone he has brought (coaches and administrators) to B'burg is someone he was previously with. There are too many insiders who are saying Rodriguez for me to think it's a smokescreen. Also, supposedly they will make Foster Asst Head Coach and let him run the defense while Rodriguez handles the offense.

Edit: Buzz Williams and Whit Babcock had not worked together previously. Sorry to miswrite.

Keep in mind that Bud Foster just signed a new 5 year contract extension this past December. According to the terms if he's fired after this season VT will be forced to pay him something close to $2 million. VT's buyout of Foster gets smaller with each successive year of the contract. Now if he leaves on his own I think, iirc, that he will owe VT roughly $50K. Weird contract.

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than that all this talk about UGA has me thinking back to 1979. For you youngsters out there, Penthouse magazine used to produce a "Worst 20" football list before the college season started every year. Going into 1979, that fine publication ranked Wake as the second-worst team in the country, if memory serves. I wish I could remember who was Number 1 but I can't.

Anyway, we go down to UGA, which was supposed to be the class of the SEC that year, and the Athens paper calls our boys "Mackovic's Meatballs" and predicts a lopsided win for UGA. There was actually criticism for scheduling such a marshmallow to start the season. Nobody on our side argued with the logic and we all resigned ourselves to taking a shellacking between the hedges. We didn't even send the band for moral support.

And damned if we didn't go down there and get the win. Close game, but we were the better team. It wasn't luck or turnovers, just a good game where the better team won. That was a great day. Not a hell a lot of those in WF football history so we have to savor the ones we have. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for the youngins'.

Back