• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank Beamer

I'm not sure what you think you're agreeing or disagreeing with. I agree with most of what you've just said. My only contention has been that UGA will not make a decision about Mark Richt based upon next year's recruiting class, much less a single recruit, which was in reply to your assertion that Richt will be the coach for UGA in 2016 because of the #1 QB recruit commiting to UGA. Your retort to that was to point out that a QB may be the only missing piece for Richt, and there's where we differ, apparently. As I've pointed out, Richt has had excellent QB play in the past, and still only has a couple of SEC championship to show for it, both of which were awhile ago.

To go further, I think we've learned everything about Mark Richt that we're going to learn. He's been at UGA since 2001, which I think is plenty large enough of a sample size. I don't believe that he's suddently going to reinvent himself into a championship coach, nor do I think that he's just one special player away from winning the whole thing. We've seen Richt's ceiling, and we've probably seen his floor too, so the only question now is whether or not UGA is happy with that spectrum.

Your point about firing the good-but-not-great coach is exactly what UGA's conundrum is. The issue is that UGA's fanbase believes it deserves championships. Whether or not their history is worthy of those expectations is largely beside the point; the expectations exist nonetheless. At this point, if they were to keep Richt, UGA's administration is either 1) not in agreement with its fanbases' goals or 2) woefully blind to how far Richt can take UGA.

My mistake I misread your posts and though you wanted Richt fired.

Also I disagree that Richt isn't a national championship coach. Fullmer never won with Manning but won one with Tee Martin. Stoops never won with Bradford yet won one with Josh Heupel. Just because Richt didn't win anything with Stafford doesn't necessarily mean he will never win one. Again he was about 10 yards away from making the national championship, he doesn't need to "reinvent" anything. Texas fans were saying the exact same thing about Brown until he finally won one.

Depends on where the kid is from. Country boys like the mountains and cooler weather.

well, the mountain folk likely to pick VT over Florida or Southern California locales are probably not as talented, so

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than that all this talk about UGA has me thinking back to 1979. For you youngsters out there, Penthouse magazine used to produce a "Worst 20" football list before the college season started every year. Going into 1979, that fine publication ranked Wake as the second-worst team in the country, if memory serves. I wish I could remember who was Number 1 but I can't.

Anyway, we go down to UGA, which was supposed to be the class of the SEC that year, and the Athens paper calls our boys "Mackovic's Meatballs" and predicts a lopsided win for UGA. There was actually criticism for scheduling such a marshmallow to start the season. Nobody on our side argued with the logic and we all resigned ourselves to taking a shellacking between the hedges. We didn't even send the band for moral support.

And damned if we didn't go down there and get the win. Close game, but we were the better team. It wasn't luck or turnovers, just a good game where the better team won. That was a great day. Not a hell a lot of those in WF football history so we have to savor the ones we have. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for the youngins'.

Wasn't there a post-game newspaper headline something like "Mackovic's Meatballs Bite Dooley's Dawgs"? (Vince Dooley was UGa head coach then.)

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than that all this talk about UGA has me thinking back to 1979. For you youngsters out there, Penthouse magazine used to produce a "Worst 20" football list before the college season started every year. Going into 1979, that fine publication ranked Wake as the second-worst team in the country, if memory serves. I wish I could remember who was Number 1 but I can't.

Anyway, we go down to UGA, which was supposed to be the class of the SEC that year, and the Athens paper calls our boys "Mackovic's Meatballs" and predicts a lopsided win for UGA. There was actually criticism for scheduling such a marshmallow to start the season. Nobody on our side argued with the logic and we all resigned ourselves to taking a shellacking between the hedges. We didn't even send the band for moral support.

And damned if we didn't go down there and get the win. Close game, but we were the better team. It wasn't luck or turnovers, just a good game where the better team won. That was a great day. Not a hell a lot of those in WF football history so we have to savor the ones we have. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for the youngins'.

22-21

"Never, never, never, never, never give up!"
I kept that quote from the Sunday paper taped to my refrigerator for years

I believe a quote from the Penthouse article was "the rest of the country will continue to scoff at the oddly named Deacs"

edit - The worst team, per Penthouse, might have been Kansas State. The Wildcats sucked back then. IIRC, going into our game with them in 1975 the two schools were tied for the worst all-time football records - we lost, but beat them the next year.

Last edited:
I believe a quote from the Penthouse article was "the rest of the country will continue to scoff at the oddly named Deacs"

I was listening to Gene Overby and remember that the UGA kicker missed a 57-yarder to win the game as time ran out. My memory is that Overby said it was right down the pike but just a foot or so short.

22-21

"Never, never, never, never, never give up!"
I kept that quote from the Sunday paper taped to my refrigerator for years

Dekin, I believe that was Mackovic's comment at halftime of the Auburn game ... we were down 20-38 and came back to win 42-38.

Last edited:
I was listening to Gene Overby and remember that the UGA kicker missed a 57-yarder to win the game as time ran out. My memory is that Overby said it was right down the pike but just a foot or so short.

Coach Dooley said that if the FG had been good it would have been a great upset over Wake Forest, which was obviously the better team.

My mistake I misread your posts and though you wanted Richt fired.

Also I disagree that Richt isn't a national championship coach. Fullmer never won with Manning but won one with Tee Martin. Stoops never won with Bradford yet won one with Josh Heupel. Just because Richt didn't win anything with Stafford doesn't necessarily mean he will never win one. Again he was about 10 yards away from making the national championship, he doesn't need to "reinvent" anything. Texas fans were saying the exact same thing about Brown until he finally won one.

I think your comparisons to Fulmer and Bob Stoops are inapt. Fulmer was in his seventh season as a head coach when he won the national championship. Bob Stoops was in his second. They both demonstrated an ability to win the big one relatively early as compared to Richt, who will finish this season - his 15th year as a head coach - without a national title. The better comparison would be to someone like Bobby Bowden or Tom Osbourne, who won their first title relatively late in their careers. So, I suppose if you think that Mark Richt is the same caliber of a coach as those two, then you keep him and just wait until he breaks through. However, I would say that the expectations have changed since Bowden's and Osbourne's days. Just look around the SEC as of late and see the coaches who won their first championships early - Gene Chizik: 4th year as HC (2nd at AU), Les Miles: 7th as HC (3rd at LSU), Nick Saban: 10th as HC (4th at LSU), and Urban Meyer: 6th as HC (2nd at UF).

Miami is a frontrunner's town. If they were a top ten team, those seats would be filled. Granted it's easier to fill VT because what else are you going to do in SWVA?

Not a good assumption-most of the VT fans come in from NOVA, Richmond, and Tidewater. That's why new motels keep going up in the area. Also why Tech has played and scheduled "neutral site" games in DC.

Dekin, I believe that was Mackovic's comment at halftime of the Auburn game ... we were down 20-38 and came back town 42-38.

Alpha - I stand corrected.

Another story about the UGA game (this one I'm pretty sure is accurate) is about James 'Quick' Parker, our pint size middle guard on that team.
At the end of the game, he was seen down on his hands and knees at mid-field. Someone went up to him thinking he was injured.
He was not........he was pulling up turf from the field and stuffing it in his socks to take home as a souvenir of the Deac's win 'between the hedges'

Another facto on that game. On our 1st series, 2nd or 3rd play of game, Venuto threw a pick 6. We were down 7-0 after about a minute. UGA knew the rout was on. But........

Keep in mind that Bud Foster just signed a new 5 year contract extension this past December. According to the terms if he's fired after this season VT will be forced to pay him something close to $2 million. VT's buyout of Foster gets smaller with each successive year of the contract. Now if he leaves on his own I think, iirc, that he will owe VT roughly $50K. Weird contract.

That could get interesting. There's a reason the "best assistant coach" in the nation has not been names as Beamer's successor. You're either paying out the nose to get rid of him or telling your new HC regardless of who you want to bring in, this is your defensive coordinator for four years.

Foster will not be the HC. The next HC could do a lot worse than him as a DC though. Would not be surprised to see him stick around. He's pretty content.

Foster will not be the HC. The next HC could do a lot worse than him as a DC though. Would not be surprised to see him stick around. He's pretty content.

Some HCs want to bring their entire staff not have it predetermined is all. Yes, they could do a lot worse.

Some HCs want to bring their entire staff not have it predetermined is all. Yes, they could do a lot worse.
Oh I understand that, just saying I wouldn't be surprised if the next coach decided to go with him, as opposed to having him forced upon him by the AD. I think their AD is savvy enough to not meddle in such a manner.

Reactions: ONW
Coach Lambert is locked up and he needs to continue the growth at Charlotte and finish the job. I really think he wants to win a national championship at Charlotte rather than an ACC school and the only ACC school with any shot ever is Clemson.

Coach Lambert is locked up and he needs to continue the growth at Charlotte and finish the job. I really think he wants to win a national championship at Charlotte rather than an ACC school and the only ACC school with any shot ever is Clemson.

Do what? Are you serious?

Back