• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank (fully honest/accurate, who knows) NIL discussion

I hope that the discussion of the doom and gloom of college athletics finds space to be critical of the networks and athletic departments that spend recklessly on long term contracts for content and coaches at the expense of their future. It's such a bubble that ADs and Network Execs created and continue to inflate and it's going to burst in a big way.
this is so right.

The people that are making up the vast majority of that $13 million are the people that were giving it in secret. Again there is some delta, but the people making that money work are the same people that have always made that money work. The price of the brick has gone up, that's undeniable, but your shadowy figures that would each have 15k to 20k annually to burn can now just do it legally, even raise the amount they were throwing around, and for some of them write it off as tax deductions.

It's not like in the course of one year paying players went from the ~200k Cam got at Auburn to paying people offering HS quarterbacks millions over four or five years. Price has been going up and a considerable amount of that were guys that the administration nor a coach would ever dream to say was affiliated.

I also don't believe most of the high dollar amounts we hear reported nor believe that they'll be paid out in full

I don't know if the $13 mil number is right (The Athletic seemed pretty solid on that number-- and also stated that it was over a period of 4 years), but it seems pretty clear that the NIL prices are into the 7 figures, which is astonishing to me. Bagman money was nowhere near that before when you'd get $100 handshakes and a car that was paid off. Maybe your dad would get a cushy job. Now we are talking about all the kids on a football team getting $50k. Walk-ons, scrubs, everybody. All so you don't sow discord among teammates, even though the bigwigs are still getting more on top of the 50k. Parents are getting more than a cushy job. They're getting entire businesses, or a new church-- shit like that.

My point is that it isn't just a wash because it's now supposedly out in the open. The "yes, we're paying kids" is out in the open. The so-called NIL stuff is not because it's not NIL. It's pay-to-play which is still not legal (per the suddenly toothless NCAA). And in this wild west marketplace the numbers are insane. $13 mil for a 4 star QB? Are you kidding me? Why even pay 7 figures for a kid who is about on par with 50 other QBs in high school? It is completely out of whack right now and, yes, resources that the school ADs could normally rely on are being diverted for "NIL". It is not offset by people like me, who normally don't donate shit, but will happily throw a few bucks into an NIL collective.

Money talk at UNC Chapel Hill athletics​

Gaining access makes the world go around for journalists, enabling a revealing New York Times story this week on UNC Chapel Hill’s athletics department finances.

Here are some details from the story:

• Star basketball player Armando Bacot drives an $80,000 Audi and has NIL deals totaling more than $500,000, according his mother, who is also his manager.
Anyone know if someone bought the car for him or if its just being provided for him to use while at UNC?

I read this thread title and thought to myself how long it would take for NJD to derail

Yesterday, I had my first confirmation (if you can call it that) of an actual NIL number for a specific player.

A buddy of mine is a member of the relatively new UMass hoops collective. He forwarded me an e-mail (a bi-weekly update) that stated their top priorities were:
1- Sign RJ Luis to a competitive multi-year deal (~$50k/year)
2- War chest for transfer portal opportunities
3- War chest for end of season retention and future recruiting

For perspective, RJ Luis is a freshman. He was a 3-star prospect out of HS, ranking #233 in the 247 composite. He's really come on during the season, with 31 & 23 points in his last 2 games (wins).

Depressing that UMass has to worry about him leaving because he's playing so well... And that it would take ~$50k a year to keep him.

I would love to know what constitutes a “war chest” for UMASS athletics.

I wonder hypothetically what the going rate would be for a 23-year-old 40%+ 3-point shooter with excellent size

Money talk at UNC Chapel Hill athletics​

Gaining access makes the world go around for journalists, enabling a revealing New York Times story this week on UNC Chapel Hill’s athletics department finances.

Athletics Director Bubba Cunningham opened the door to writer Bruce Schoenfeld, who described how some Tar Heel athletes are cashing in from college sports. In 2021, the NCAA ended most restrictions on how much athletes could earn from use of their name, image and likeness, or NIL. What used to be prohibited and could lead to major sanctions is now permissible.

Here are some details from the story:

• UNC field hockey star Erin Matson, who is considered the greatest college player ever in her sport, earned about $50,000 in NIL deals in her final two seasons in Chapel Hill.
Erin Matson, 22 years old and just graduated from UNC, is the new coach at UNC

Love it for this dude. Tyree is the man!

Back