• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank (fully honest/accurate, who knows) NIL discussion

Miami fans thought that guy was going to build them a new football stadium.

“These pay-for-play collectives are not going to pass muster under Title IX,” says nationally renowned Title IX attorney Nancy Hogshead-Makar"

That's quite a name. Apparently the argument is there is no true separation of the NIL "collectives"/private organizations from the universities.

She is a Wake grad and I believe was once part of a DC politically connected law firm. If there is a way to make a Title IX case, she will find it. One possible group of plaintiffs: women who don't get NIL money and lose scholarship funds because the NIL payments go to obscure individuals on men's teams.

I would expect the lawyers constructed these collectives to avoid that specific problem.

I would expect the lawyers constructed these collectives to avoid that specific problem.

Lawyers vs. lawyers is a familiar fight. Hard to believe lawyers can insulate themselves from other lawyers.

Miami isn’t worried about LifeWallet’s collapse.

“In this calendar year of 2023, 80 percent of our NIL deals are through Canes Connection. LifeWallet has a minority of the deals, 15 to 20 percent maybe, and the collective over the last six months has really grown its list of supporters, names you’d recognize but that don’t want to be out there in the public eye. They like to support the university and the school, but they operate very differently. They do it quietly. Four out of every five UM deals right now are from other sources, and I expect it to be 100 percent in 2024.”

Last edited:
The money that's being given for say, a $13 million dollar contract for a QB was money that was more than likely always going to be McDonald's bag money, not the check Ben Sutton is cutting for the Sutton center. There's some delta there as there are going to be people that are donating to say RTQ instead of Deacon Club, but the delta there more than likely isn't coming close to being significant enough to cut a program or even a scholarship. It's probably less detrimental than boosters having to put up money to hire/fire coaches especially with how contracts are these days and everyone wants their money up front versus NIL deals which, from the ones I've seen, aren't an up front lump sum.

If the athletics department needs to raise money, they'll still be able to do it just fine and not miss their goals. One could argue that people putting money into NIL actually ends up being a benefit to the department: better players should = better teams, better teams should = more wins + more tickets sold + more money from postseason play.
Not to mention the high school QB trying to get $13 mill from Florida was his family doing a bad job for a 3* QB and bidding out his services and it got way out of hand. He flipped on $9 mill from Miami.

Luckily for FL they called them on it, said HELL NO and the guy goes to Ariz St for $0

She is a Wake grad and I believe was once part of a DC politically connected law firm. If there is a way to make a Title IX case, she will find it. One possible group of plaintiffs: women who don't get NIL money and lose scholarship funds because the NIL payments go to obscure individuals on men's teams.
Her Wikipedia page doesn't say she's a Wake grad. BA Duke, JD Georgetown.

I would have laughed at the idea 5 years ago, but we're headed to a point where college football teams will have a name-only association with the school, i.e. players will not be required to attend classes (if they do now) or even enroll in school. Thinking way outside the box here, but maybe that leads to a player choosing either to a)receive an athletic/academic scholarship and attend the university as a student free of charge, or b)not attend school and receive compensation equal to the value of an academic scholarship. So a Wake guy might get $50K, and a UNC guy $10K. And you're right, the UNC folks would never let that happen, but for years the Hole-controlled UNC legislature allowed athletes to be counted as "in-state" for tuition purposes regardless of residence, which meant the Rams Club could pay for their scholly at maybe 20% of what the cost of an out-of-state student would pay in tuition. Its always been a misconception that privates like Wake have a significantly higher cost than the "public Ivy's" like UNC, when in fact the costs are not that dissimilar; the biggest difference is who pay that cost, i.e. the parents(private)or the taxpayers(public).

12003546.jpeg

Back