• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Free Tickets!!!

I don't see a problem with this especially with the upcoming name change.

We will probably play VMI or The Citadel or an academy every year.

VMI, Citadel and the Coast Guard Academy = win.
Army, Navy, Air Force = toss-up
Hargrave Military Academy = sure loss

After reading this thread, I an't help but feel that if the Athletic Dept. gave away free pussy, some on the board would complain about having to get a hard on in order to take advantage of it! Give it a rest

After reading this thread, I an't help but feel that if the Athletic Dept. gave away free pussy, some on the board would complain about having to get a hard on in order to take advantage of it! Give it a rest

Jaybone? Is that you?

I had a solution for bringing fans back to the Joel. It was right on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't remember what it was...

Given our coaching situation, you and I both know that isn't going to happen this year.

Faculty/staff get free tickets for the Presby game.

Three free ticket promotions to boost those attendance numbers early!

Yeah my brother called me today, this was the conversation:

"Hey are you going to any basketball games this year?"
"No."
"If you had free tickets would you go?"
"No."
"Oh. Well faculty/staff are being given free tickets, wondering if you wanted mine."
"Nope. I'm not surprised. They're giving away a lot of free tickets."
"Oh, you heard about that?"
"Yep."

I also have a friend that used to get lots of tickets to then give to his clients -- during the off-season he was called by his DC guy to talk about which games he wanted tickets for. The response?

"What you are trying to sell me is something that I literally cannot give away for free. I'm not interested."

I'm not sure if it is this board or the actions of our athletic department that have made me more cynical. Whatever. It's a chicken/egg rhetorical question I guess.

My neighbor still has basketball season tickets and is looking forward to a great season. He told me this as I was climbing out of my car after work. I'm not sure what onset dementia looks like but he's suspect.

I hate that Wellman has made everything so awful that I am avoiding free tickets to a Wake basketball game. I don't want to go, don't want to support Wellman or Bzz........what a disaster. But, I want to support the players - Travis deserves a statue at the front door of LJVM for enduring this crap, and Tree has the potential to be be one of the most loved Wake players of all time (if anyone watches). All Wake fans love the human shield propped up by Wellman of Childress and LaRue......This whole thing just sucks.

If this athletic department gave away free pussy, it would be Roseanne Barr.

I hate that Wellman has made everything so awful that I am avoiding free tickets to a Wake basketball game. I don't want to go, don't want to support Wellman or Bzz........what a disaster. But, I want to support the players - Travis deserves a statue at the front door of LJVM for enduring this crap, and Tree has the potential to be be one of the most loved Wake players of all time (if anyone watches). All Wake fans love the human shield propped up by Wellman of Childress and LaRue......This whole thing just sucks.

Ehh, I think if you're thinking about going then you should just go. I've had season tickets throughout the bz "situation." Part of the reason is that I want to support the players, but the main reason is because I still enjoy going to Wake games. My kids also love it and look forward to every game.

The play during season one of bz was really rough, and season two wasn't much better. Last year I thought we played much better in general and I had a great time watching us against nc state, miami, duke, fsu, uva, etc. The crowds were also much better last year because the students were back. Plus sports marketing has had to work their tails off and now are really pretty effective, which might be the one true positive of the bz era.

I know some think it's important to protest by not attending, and I understand that thought, but my impression is that a relative lack of attendance isn't going to make any difference. So, why should I get all worked up, miss something I enjoy going to, and stop my kids from having a lot of fun? In my opinion, Tree and Devin play harder than almost any wake player I've watched in 30 yrs, and it's fun being there to watch them do work.

If you're someone who thinks college bball is very serious business (if you recently crafted a red-on-brown billboard then you probably fall into this category), and you're really anti-bz, then you can still have a great time at the games. Just have a few drinks, boo bz during the intro, yell a few things throughout the game, and spend the rest of the time making fun of his tie. You won't be alone and you'll have a great time.

I agree with Rafi about attending games, me and RSF go to every game. We just talk shit about everything and cheer on the players. There's no financial decision I could make to get Wellman or Bzz fired any faster, so there's really no point in refusing to attend. I do agree with big donors cutting off support.

As of now, I've been offered free tickets to tonights game by three people. A sad state of affairs for sure. We'll see if that number goes up even higher today

I see how heckling [Redacted] could be fun, but it's too depressing for me to attend. Ron and [Redacted] have killed something that I used to love. I will return when we get a new coach.

Fuck off with this nonsensical shite.

What doesn't make sense about this? Devin Thomas plays extremely hard on both ends of the court. I think his motor is his best quality, very similar to Nikita Whitlock, and I have seen very few Wake basketball players over the past several decades play as hard as he does. I think Muggsy played just as hard on both ends of the court as Devin, but I'm not sure anyone else matches Devin's intensity. Maybe senior year Josh Howard and Darius. I'm not the only one who thinks this, as it was repeated several times during his U19 USA bball tryouts. Here is what Draft Express says "He brings a terrific combination of intensity, smarts and fundamentals... competing extremely hard on every possession."

Tree plays really hard on defense all the time, and he usually works hard on offense too. His motor isn't quite as high as Devin's, but very few have that quality. Tree occasionally takes possessions off on offense, but to me it is more important to play with consistent intensity on defense, which he does.

DV7, what is it exactly that you disagree with and took so much offense to?

I like Devin and Tree but I think you can look as recently as Ish and LD to find guys who competed as hard as they did. Taron Downey comes to mind as well.

I like Devin and Tree but I think you can look as recently as Ish and LD to find guys who competed as hard as they did. Taron Downey comes to mind as well.

They all played hard, no doubt about it, but certainly none like Devin. Ish pushed the ball like almost no one else, but he let up on D and when the ball wasn't in his hands at times. Taron also wasn't as intense on D. LD played extremely hard on the ball D, but didn't fight for rebounds at times, and wasn't super active on offense.

Obviously determining how hard someone is playing is somewhat subjective and certainly difficult to measure. But if you watch Devin, just like if watch Whitlock, you'll see him going all the time. Watch Devin when someone else is shooting free throws - he will grab a lot of rebounds, and a really high number on the offensive end of the floor.

Back