• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Full transcript of Dan Collins interview

dv7: I don't agree with you. The onus is Melvin to do the work required to rejoin the team, not the coach. I read that quote as [Redacted] simply reiterating that point. If Melvin wants to rejoin the team, it is on him to do that work. [Redacted] can't do it for him.

Just my opinion.

I actually liked the interview.

Made it seem more like Dino had lost control of the program. I realize only a few guys are left from that era but these were dino's recruits and looking at his comments on AAU ball it seems like some of those guys wouldn't be here if buzz had been around.

Just read through the whole thing and I have somewhat mixed reactions.

I think that the questions weren't very good at times, but they did hit on some big points that the fan base wants to know about. I agree that Coach [Redacted] got a little defensive/snarky, but people do make it out to seem like he isn't working hard, and that is clearly not the case.

Good definition of culture, and something that I certainly want Wake Forest to have.

dv7: I don't agree with you. The onus is Melvin to do the work required to rejoin the team, not the coach. I read that quote as [Redacted] simply reiterating that point. If Melvin wants to rejoin the team, it is on him to do that work. [Redacted] can't do it for him.

Just my opinion.

I agree with this too. The coach can tell him 10000000 times what he needs to do to get back on the team. If the kid doesn't want to work hard and get back on, that is on him.

Who makes it out like he's not working hard?

I think he's working hard. I just doubt that matters to the bottom line.

Who makes it out like he's not working hard?

I think he's working hard. I just doubt that matters to the bottom line.

You don't think that it matters to the bottom line if he is working hard or not?

You don't think that it matters to the bottom line if he is working hard or not?

Yes. I don't think he's a good coach. So if he works hard as a not good coach, it's not going to elevate the bottom line.

The Tabb answer is weird to me because Dan didn't ask if Tabb was going to do it, only if Bz had confidence that he would. Confidence comes from Bz, not Tabb.

It was a REALLY dumb question. Even club sports coaches do that.

I didn't think it was dumb at all. The question was a segue. Dan asks that question expecting Bz to say "yeah, of course we do." Dan then follows up with asking what some of the individual goals were and how he wanted to achieve them. Instead, Bz gets so hostile that Dan has to discontinue the entire line of questioning.

IMO Bz did himself a disservice there. He could have really demonstrated what his detail-oriented coaching was all about and the things he was doing with individual players one on one. These are the things Wellman talks about in his interviews when he's taking up for Bz, and Bz had an opportunity to explain it himself. Instead, he chose to get hostile.

There were times during that interview that I found myself thinking "wow, what a dick." But at the same time there were times that I thought maybe he can pull this off. I hope it's the latter.

I'm somewhere in the middle of the interview now, and while it definitely got off to a rocky start, [Redacted] opens up more as the questions continue and seems to give some really great, honest answers. As doofus said, it really does seem from many of his responses that the program was simply out of control, with players seemingly forgotten the "student" portion of student-athlete. Granted, this outlook is obviously coming a biased source, but it does fit many of the suspicions that people have had.

Ha. That interview makes me like [Redacted] a little.

------------
MTOW: I didn’t mean to show you any disrespect. I hope you understand that.

JB: I know that. I’m just saying I think people think we just golf all day long. And I don’t even golf. I hate golf. I’m in here, I’m watching film, getting guys in here.
------------

I'm sorry, but that's hysterical. And while I really like Dan in general and agree with a lot of what he writes, the question "Do you give specific off-season instructions to each player?" has to be one of the worst questions I've ever heard. I don't see how Dan wasn't trying to get a rise out of him there.

This is just like a reporter asking Ish if he'd ever thought about practicing free throws.

A lot of those answers, if you read through them, were pretty solid. Clearly Bzzz is no PR guy, but who cares. He says we'll be competitive next year. Just win some games and the rest will take care of itself.

I didn't think it was dumb at all. The question was a segue. Dan asks that question expecting Bz to say "yeah, of course we do." Dan then follows up with asking what some of the individual goals were and how he wanted to achieve them. Instead, Bz gets so hostile that Dan has to discontinue the entire line of questioning.

IMO Bz did himself a disservice there. He could have really demonstrated what his detail-oriented coaching was all about and the things he was doing with individual players one on one. These are the things Wellman talks about in his interviews when he's taking up for Bz, and Bz had an opportunity to explain it himself. Instead, he chose to get hostile.

There were times during that interview that I found myself thinking "wow, what a dick." But at the same time there were times that I thought maybe he can pull this off. I hope it's the latter.

Very well said. He's gotta lose the thin skin, especially when dealing with someone as generally well liked as Dan.

Very well said. He's gotta lose the thin skin, especially when dealing with someone as generally well liked as Dan.

Generally well liked as a person and beat writer, sure. But as a blogger and an interviewer, I think Dan definitely has some shortcomings.

Generally well liked as a person and beat writer, sure. But as a blogger and an interviewer, I think Dan definitely has some shortcomings.

Yeah, I realize there are some folks who have a problem with him. But I think if you took a poll of most Wake fans their opinion would be positive. Obviously just a hunch I have. :thumbsup:

Seems like if Dan had just led with "What are some examples of specific off-season instructions you've given players?" things would be fine.
I agree with BeachBum that Dan's an excellent beat reporter, but this format is not his strong suit. I do applaud him and the Journal for providing another source of news and opinion on Wake athletics. I just think another writer would do better in that forum without jeopardizing his access.

TRwo speicific things:

Melvin - From all reports Melvin's problems were all on Melvin As has been reported publicly, Melvin was extremely lazy about getting in shape and doing his classwork. Neither of these have anything to do with the coach. After his second sitting, the light looks like it may have come on for Melvin. That's a combination of Melvin growing up and the coaches working hard and caring.

I fully understand there are people here who blame [Redacted] for the tsunami in Japan. But if comes back and is a contributor it will be a huge success fro [Redacted]. Of course some don't want that.

As to losing confidence - Our players came from teams that always won. Losing would naturally challenge their confidence. They were also used to being the star and the play of influence in gam,es. When you come to college as the yougest people in the league and have no expienced leaders to fall back on, it makes losing even tougher. This also would impact confidence.

Dan is a much better interviewer than Buzz is an interviewee.

There are nuggets of hope sprinkled in there, but nothing in that interview changes my feeling that we are destined for mediocrity.

The only thing that will change that feeling is good recruiting results. Hopefully, we'll get some good news later today.

"That's on him, not me" is the part I think he was being an asshole. I was fine with it until then.

That's not being honest, that's just being a dick.

It's something that is probably right, but that he shouldn't say.

What harm would it be for him to simply say, "Yes"?

[Redacted] is absolutely terrible at communicating with the fan base. It's almost inarguable.

I get what you're saying. It would/could/SHOULD be a good segue to talking about some individual details. I dunno, I'm just convinced that Buzz has established himself as a bit of a prickly dude and it would be better to be more direct with him than asking a question where the answer is obviously "yes" and a "no" would make it seem as though Buzz is lazy or incompetent. You gotta know who you're talking with.

Also agreed that Buzz did himself a disservice. A more savvy guy would have said "Yeah, Dan, of course I do. There isn't a coach in America at any level who doesn't. I've talked with Ty about studying film and learning when to look for a block and when to stay boxing out his man, etc etc."

Just my opinion.

I'm with dv7 on this. He'd already said it was on Tabb, and that's a reasonable position for him to take. Look, he wouldn't be giving Tabb another chance if he didn't think he could turn into a nice player for us. All he had to say was, "He's been doing better so far, and I hope he keeps it up because I think he can contribute to the team," or something to that effect.

But if comes back and is a contributor it will be a huge success fro [Redacted]. Of course some don't want that.
I'll probably give Melvin the majority of credit if Melvin comes back. As Bz says, That’s on him, not on me. And of course everyone wants Melvin to be a huge success. We've wanted that since the day he committed to Wake.

Back