• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Full transcript of Dan Collins interview

I spoke with Buzz very briefly at the Coaches vs Cancer banquet and he's a completely different person than what I've heard in post games and interviews. He came across as decently laid back and with a dry sense of humor. Granted that was before such a horrible season.

Plus in interviews you talk about your past skills & jobs. He's still doing that.

But presumably there were some aggressive, critical questions in the interview, just the kind of thing [Redacted] can't seem to handle appropriately.

But presumably there were some aggressive, critical questions in the interview, just the kind of thing [Redacted] can't seem to handle appropriately.

Such as, "Jeff, can you explain how you only won one single away conference game in 3 years?"

Such as, "Jeff, can you explain how you only won one single away conference game in 3 years?"

One would hope that came up. Here are a few other ideas for topics that should have been asked and would make [Redacted] antsy:

1. His 2nd Air Force team fell apart at the end of the season
2. He has never won a conference tournament game
3. He left Air Force in a way that puts his "culture" into question
4. He hired Abatemarco, a known player abuser

Having just read the first page of responses and not knowing where the thread has gone by now I just want to say that even though I'm not always a huge fan of DC, I thought his question of off-season workouts was a pretty typical question. We see that all the time, the coach expounds on it, another follow-up is asked, and more details come out. I've read tons of interviews and interviewed a lot of players (with the typical softballs like that just letting the player/coach go basically wherever they want on the topic) and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone shell up like that before.

Interesting response from Bz.

Having just read the first page of responses and not knowing where the thread has gone by now I just want to say that even though I'm not always a huge fan of DC, I thought his question of off-season workouts was a pretty typical question. We see that all the time, the coach expounds on it, another follow-up is asked, and more details come out. I've read tons of interviews and interviewed a lot of players (with the typical softballs like that just letting the player/coach go basically wherever they want on the topic) and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone shell up like that before.

Yea, this is generally where I come out on that question. It's an obvious and dumb question on its own, but it's clearly a segue into another line of questions about individual players and what they need to work on, or alternatively, the kind of question that [Redacted] should know that he can respond with that kind of information even if that's not specifically what Dan asked him. [Redacted]'s response isn't "wrong," it's just sort of shocking to see a Division I coach at a high-major program not just roll with it as part of a typical after-the-season-wrap-up interview and instead take it as some sort of dig.

That seems to be the consensus here re: [Redacted]'s relations with the media. He just takes everything as a jab or a dig or a shot or an insult when most if not all of it are just standard interview questions, fan reactions, or typical pressures that come along with coaching an ACC program. It's going to make it even harder for Wake nation to warm up to this guy if he doesn't stop taking everything so personally. It's like he has PMS or something.

That seems to be the consensus here re: [Redacted]'s relations with the media. He just takes everything as a jab or a dig or a shot or an insult when most if not all of it are just standard interview questions, fan reactions, or typical pressures that come along with coaching an ACC program. It's going to make it even harder for Wake nation to warm up to this guy if he doesn't stop taking everything so personally. It's like he has PMS or something.

He's cracked. I'm mostly surprised that Dan doesn't/hadn't realized that.

One would hope that came up. Here are a few other ideas for topics that should have been asked and would make [Redacted] antsy:

1. His 2nd Air Force team fell apart at the end of the season
2. He has never won a conference tournament game
3. He left Air Force in a way that puts his "culture" into question
4. He hired Abatemarco, a known player abuser

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

He's cracking up! He's cracking up!
He's cracking...
Buzz is cracking up!

Video added for a frame of reference for most.

Last edited:
If this guy projects himself this poorly and defensively with Dan Collins, imagine how he comes across with a 17 year old kid.

If [Redacted] was winning his personality would be lauded as no nonsense, no excuses, etc. There are plenty of coaches just as odd as he is in interviews.

Instead he's losing. If he was nice he'd be spineless. If he says success is up to the player he's throwing them under the bus. He says blame him and not the players and he's a terrible coach.

Nothing matters except improving next year and making the tournament the following year. Everything else is meaningless.

Who makes it out like he's not working hard?

I think he's working hard. I just doubt that matters to the bottom line.

Exactly. I don't doubt Bzz's character or his work ethic, just his ability to be the successful head coach of a high-major college basketball program.

I don't see how that interview was anything except another PR blunder. He was snarky, defensive, rude, and to the local basketball beat reporter. He took softballs, and instead of pumping up the team or trying to build enthusiasm for the future, or show the slightest bit of self-depracating humor, he took some pot-shots at his predecessor, played the youth card, and tried to shoehorn in some pretty weak accomplishments. You expect a higher road from your HC.

Bzz sounds like a guy in over his head who's growing a touch bitter, a tad paranoid and whole lot defensive. Just stop giving these interview if you can't stop your mouth from setting back your purpose. Hire a media consultant, and do it yesterday.

I could not agree more. Of course I used to be a quasi-journalist so I see how some people could miss the softballs he was given.

Agree with Mr O

Much prefer following this than our coaching search (just ready to know who it is, don't care about all the "sources" giving out made up info)

He asked a coach if he works with his players.

While I can certainly see ways to politely handle that one, it's the kind of question Bob Knight would have stared down a reporter for 30 seconds before unleashing a bitter tirade of profanity at them.

It doesn't excuse the response, but it's a pretty clear sign that the losing has really pissed him off. That's a good thing in my book, since according to most people's description of [Redacted] he should be rolling over to take some more, not heading into the offseason with a big bitter chip on his shoulder.

Frankly, by South Park logic, we have some players who are assholes and some players who are pussies. So maybe [Redacted] has to be a dick to getting something out of this team. Buddy coaches like Dino hardly ever work out.

I don't mind Buzz being a hardass to the players in private. But he should protect them in public.

Just my view of what good coaches do.

You can say a lot about Dino, but he wasn't a buddy coach. The players all remarked about how much more he yelled at practice than Skip.

I've seen some suggest that the transition from a buddy coach to a yeller is what did him in.

I've seen some suggest that the transition from a buddy coach to a yeller is what did him in.

If it was "forced" yelling then the kids would have picked up on it, I think.

Some people are meant to be #1s. Some people are meant to be #2s *cough*WadePhillips*cough*

Back