• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Full transcript of Dan Collins interview

He is SUCH a jerk. I just can't warm up to this guy.

At least he knows that the fan base does NOT have his back. In fact we are chasing him with pitchforks and torches.

I agree with PH's comment - he is working hard, but he is just not a good coach. I don't believe that someone can be such a terrible communicator to the media and then turn around and reach his players. Coaching is all about communication.

If I were Tabb, I would transfer.

Interesting interview for sure. There were some comments that I thought were good, but I still wish he'd try harder to win over his fan base. Whether he believe it or not, that's important.

Also, for someone who mentioned many times throughout the season that youth is not a valid excuse, he certainly refers to his team's youth this year quite a lot. They're working hard and getting a year older. Does that magically translate into wins? I guess we'll see.

Fascinating situation. I can't remember a similar situation in all of my years following ACC basketball.

Overall Interview

Although I think Dan is somewhat of a douche bagg, the interview was good. Buzz is honest. And he says what he thinks. And it looks like he busts his ass. He also emphasis hard work and being a real man. Honestly, Buzz shows this and sets a good example for his players. You can tell the man works hard and I hope it carries to over to the team.

Tabb

DV7's 'go to' comment, "he throws the players under the bus," is dumb. What is wrong with him expecting the player to grow independently. To mature independently. To realize what it takes and take advantage of an opportunity ON HIS OWN. Do you want him to spoon feed these kids and expect them to be tough? [do not answer that question, it will only result in illogical banter]

Yes, it is up to Tabb. If he gets back on the squad, he will have grown. He will be better off because of it. It makes sense.

As far as the fans not having his back . . . I can see why.

Part of this seems to be because of the firing/hiring process. Understandable. Although I do not know what the process was, the perception was not good. Wellman could and should have handled it better.

It is clear, the fans need to have the coach's back, the coach needs to have the player's, etc. A unit. This hasn't happened yet. I hope it will.

Final Notes.

DV7, your opinions are great to hear. But please do not repeat the same things about Buzz over and over. We know your feelings. You are Buzz out. There is no problem with sharing these feelings. But quit being a tool and throwing them all over like confetti. You are better than that.

For the record, I am BuzzWait. The first issue is the culture experiment. This experiment better pay off. Because our record sucked. Quite frankly, I expected better, especially if he really is a quality coach. But at the same time I understand that it does take a culture to build a top notch program, something we have never really had.

I'll give him more time, and my support in the meantime. Not just because he is our coach, but because he is working hard and busting his ass. If he does that, I will give him the chance he deserves. BuzzWait.

I think I have greatly reduced the times I've talked about Buzz in the threads. Others have picked up that slack though.

I think I have greatly reduced the times I've talked about Buzz in the threads. Others have picked up that slack though.

Do not get me wrong. I have no problem with you expressing your opinion. And I believe that the discussion of wake forest athletics (or anything) "freely" is a good thing. So express your views as you wish and as often as you wish.

However, as for my opinion, 1) I don't like seeing them every 2 posts. 2) They usually are just hateful and not insightful and 3) I would, like others, be more prone to actually read them earnestly if they were not as frequent and illogical. As I said before, and as I have seen at times, you are better than that.

Thinking that Dan Collins is a great writer is such a LOWF symptom. Like a fat chick who goes nuts for any dude who pays even the least bit attention to her. His writing sucks.

Do you guys really think DC was being a dick in this interview? If anything I think he was throwing softballs out to Bzzz, in the form of very broad questions which would allow him to go in several directions. Instead Bzz responds with little snarky examples, like a freaking 10 year old. For example:

MTOW: Do you give specific off-season instructions to each player?

JB: I do coach here, Dan. I do coach here. I do coach here.

Any normal person with half a brain would have answered by giving out examples of what he is asking each player to work on. He could of talked about improving strength, knowledge of the offense, etc.

Instead he responded like a douche. In fact this is basically the last straw. I'm BzzzOut, fire his ass immediately. If he can't handle a Q&A with his local beat writer then he has no chance of ever winning shit.

As bad as [Redacted] answering questions on the spot, how the hell did he get through an interview with Wellman without any red flags appearing?

As bad as [Redacted] answering questions on the spot, how the hell did he get through an interview with Wellman without any red flags appearing?

Buzz is probably really nice when you are juggling his balls in your mouth instead of asking tough questions.

I spoke with Buzz very briefly at the Coaches vs Cancer banquet and he's a completely different person than what I've heard in post games and interviews. He came across as decently laid back and with a dry sense of humor. Granted that was before such a horrible season.

Plus in interviews you talk about your past skills & jobs. He's still doing that.

Do you guys really think DC was being a dick in this interview? If anything I think he was throwing softballs out to Bzzz, in the form of very broad questions which would allow him to go in several directions. Instead Bzz responds with little snarky examples, like a freaking 10 year old. For example:

MTOW: Do you give specific off-season instructions to each player?

JB: I do coach here, Dan. I do coach here. I do coach here.

Any normal person with half a brain would have answered by giving out examples of what he is asking each player to work on. He could of talked about improving strength, knowledge of the offense, etc.

Instead he responded like a douche. In fact this is basically the last straw. I'm BzzzOut, fire his ass immediately. If he can't handle a Q&A with his local beat writer then he has no chance of ever winning shit.

:rulz: Like others have already said on this thread (inluding prominent BzzOuters), asking that question is basically asking if the guy is even doing his job. It's ridiculous. With all the heat Bzz has already gotten this season, of course he's going to look for the worst in a question like that. It's not like he and Dan have some great relationship that's being ruined all of a sudden.

Thanks to Bzzz consisently lowering expectations relating to nearly everything with Wake Forest basketball, I didn't expect much from the interview, and there wasn't much there. Bzzz is so defensive and seems to lack good humor. I'm glad for him that he's thrilled with Colorado making the NIT and he seems to view this as validation of what he apparently does--rebuild moribund programs. Except if he's just sniffing the NIT in his fourth year here he will have failed miserably. And although Wake was very flawed heading into this season, it's don't think it can be said that our program was moribund.

Bzzz seems to acknowledge he's a fish out of water here. I agree with that. I have a hard time accepting he is really our coach. Nothing about Bzzz being in this job seems right. And nothing gives me confidence Bzzz will make this team successful or end up having a successful tenure here. I wish he'd swallow his pride and move back to the NBA.

You are assuming that there was actually an interview.

Back